Callisto and the Morlocks.
Jim Cheung, artist
|First appearance||Uncanny X-Men #169 (May 1983)|
|Created by||Chris Claremont
Callisto is a Marvel Comics fictional character, associated with the X-Men. She is the leader of New York City's subterranean mutant settlement the Morlocks until losing that post in a duel with Storm. Storm subsequently leaves the group in Callisto's care as her representative, and the two eventually form an uneasy alliance.
|This section requires expansion. (November 2013)|
Fictional character biography
Callisto's origins are unknown, although she claims that the scars she bears are proof of "how dumb a mistake" it was for her to try to live among normal humans; in one of her earlier appearances, her greatest psychological fear is the image of the beautiful woman that she once was.
Callisto takes up residence in an abandoned Cold War-era bomb shelter hidden within the sewers. Under untold circumstances, she meets Caliban, a mutant whose power is to sense the presence of other mutants. She decides to make the bomb shelter a sanctuary for mutants like herself, using Caliban's power to track down such mutants. She calls this newly formed society the Morlocks, after the group of futuristic subterraneans in "the Time Machine" by H.G. Wells.[volume & issue needed] Callisto kidnaps Angel, intending to make him her mate. Kitty Pryde is struck with a deadly illness in an attempt to rescue him, and Callisto refuses to allow her companions to take her to the surface for medical treatment. To rescue Kitty, Storm challenges and beats Callisto in a duel for the leadership of the Morlocks. As the new leader of the Morlocks, Storm decrees that they would no longer kidnap and terrorize surface-dwellers, and in return they would have peace. The confrontation between Callisto and Storm leaves both parties consumed with hatred for each other.
Callisto attempts to take revenge on Storm by manipulating Kitty Pryde into wedding Caliban, but is foiled when Caliban releases Kitty from their betrothal. When the wizard Kulan Gath enslaves and ensorcells the city of New York and transforms it into a Hyborian Age city, Callisto becomes his warrior servant. She battles Storm again, but Storm saves her life. Callisto helps defeat Kulan Gath, and as a result Callisto and her allies find themselves on a new timeline where Kulan Gath never transformed New York.
Thereafter, Callisto becomes more of an ally to the X-Men. She rescues Professor X after he was nearly killed by an anti-mutant mob. She saves Power Pack from the Morlocks Annalee and Masque. Callisto is wounded during the Marauders' massacre of the Morlocks, and takes refuge with the X-Men. She convinces Storm not to give up leadership of the X-Men.
After a while, Callisto moves to Muir Island to become the bodyguard for Moira MacTaggert. With Moira, she is transported to an alternate Earth where Britain is dominated by Nazis. Meanwhile, the Nazi counterparts of Callisto and Moira appear on the mainstream Earth. These counterparts capture Brigadier Alistaire Stuart at the Tower of London, but fail in their attempt to escape the Tower of London. Both Callisto and Moira and their counterparts then return to their native Earths.
Callisto later encounters an amnesiac Colossus, who has assumed the identity of artist Peter Nicholas. Peter remembers nothing of his former life after his journey through the Siege Perilous. The two become attracted to each other after Masque, who had taken control of the Morlocks in Callisto's absence, restores Callisto's beauty to greater than it was, only to take it away later as a means of tormenting her. The process is repeated several times before Callisto and Colossus are rescued by Forge, Banshee, and Jean Grey. Callisto begins a career as a fashion model and moves above ground, embarking on a new life with Peter Nicholas as her lover. They are attacked by Genoshan magistrates but defeat them.
Powers and abilities
A mutant, Callisto possesses enhanced senses of sight (including night vision), hearing, smell, taste, and touch. Her mutant power grants her tactical brilliance that allows her to see the best way to engage in any given conflict.
Age of Apocalypse
In the Age of Apocalypse, Callisto is neither a follower of Apocalypse nor an enemy of his regime. She's the leader of a band of pirates that attack the few vessels that venture through the Infernal Gallop to Avalon. She captures the submarine Excalibur and kills all of its passengers, except for Nightcrawler, and ends up being killed by Mystique.
The Ultimate version of Callisto is introduced in Ultimate X-Men #82 as a member of the Morlocks. Her look has remained virtually unchanged, and she has the mutant ability to sprout a mass of tentacles from her eye which is covered by an eye-patch. It is also apparent that she has no control over herself when the tentacles come out, as Caliban had to knock her out to keep her from killing Jean Grey during a fight with the X-Men.
In other media
- Callisto appeared in X-Men: The Animated Series voiced by Susan Roman. She and the other Morlocks captured Cyclops and Jean Grey rather than Angel.
- Callisto also appears in X-Men: Evolution voiced by Saffron Henderson. She is depicted as a less-violent, more even-tempered leader of the Morlocks. She first appeared to sabotage a beverage company when its beverage Pow-R-8 (Power Eight) leaks into the sewers and is revealed to be poisonous to the mutants. She later returned when anti-mutant thugs were using laser technology to attack the X-Men, Spyke, and Leech.
- Dania Ramirez portrays Callisto in X-Men: The Last Stand. In the film version, Callisto possessed superhuman speed, strength, reflexes, agility, enhanced superhumanly acute senses, superb hunting and tracking abilities, and the ability to sense the powers and locations of other mutants, a power that, in the comics, belongs to her teammate Caliban. She was the leader of The Omegas and then joins forces with Magneto's Brotherhood of Mutants. In place of an eyepatch and scars, this version of Callisto is heavily tattooed and has many piercings, and she seems to harbor a dislike towards Storm. She was electrocuted by Storm after their climactic battle on Alcatraz.
- According to the book adaptation of X-Men: The Last Stand, she was the leader of the Marauders, an all-mutant gang before joining Magneto's Brotherhood of Mutants. According to a novelty card game, Callisto is said to have been born in the Dominican Republic and emigrated to Washington Heights New York as an infant where she honed her skills as a fighter and tracker. In the book she does not possess superhuman speed.
- Uncanny X-Men #170
- Uncanny X-Men #169-170
- Uncanny X-Men #171
- Uncanny X-Men #179
- Uncanny X-Men #190-191
- Uncanny X-Men #193
- Uncanny X-Men #195
- Uncanny X-Men #211
- Uncanny X-Men #212
- Excalibur #4
- Excalibur #6
- Excalibur #9
- Excalibur #10
- Excalibur #11
- Uncanny X-Men #259-260
- Uncanny X-Men #262-264
- Excalibur #12–13
- X-Treme X-Men #38
- X-Calibre #2 (1995)
- X-Calibre #2-3 (1995)
- Mutant X #9 (June 1999)
- Ultimate X-Men # 82
- Ultimate X-Men # 83
- MDP: Callisto - Marvel Database Project
- Callisto's origin on the Marvel Directory
- Callisto at the Marvel Universe Character Bio Wiki
- UncannyXmen.net Spotlight on Callisto