|— census-designated place —|
|• Total||0.712 sq mi (1.844 km2)|
|• Land||0.710 sq mi (1.839 km2)|
|• Water||0.002 sq mi (0.006 km2) 0.31%|
|Elevation||5,689 ft (1,734 m)|
|• Density||290/sq mi ( 110/km2)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||2582957|
|U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Calpine, California|
Calpine is a census-designated place in Sierra County, California, United States. Calpine sits at an elevation of 5,689 feet (1,734 m). The 2010 United States census reported Calpine's population was 205.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP covers an area of 0.7 square miles (1.8 km²), 99.69% of it land and 0.31% of it water.
The town was founded to support the Davies-Johnson Lumber Mill around 1919. From 1921 until 1940, a branch of the Western Pacific Railroad served the town and the mill, working out of Portola, California. The timber stocks were gone by 1939 and the mill closed soon after.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Calpine had a population of 205. The population density was 287.9 people per square mile (111.2/km²). The racial makeup of Calpine was 184 (89.8%) White, 0 (0.0%) African American, 0 (0.0%) Native American, 0 (0.0%) Asian, 1 (0.5%) Pacific Islander, 10 (4.9%) from other races, and 10 (4.9%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 26 persons (12.7%).
The Census reported that 205 people (100% of the population) lived in households, 0 (0%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 0 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 96 households, out of which 17 (17.7%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 44 (45.8%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 8 (8.3%) had a female householder with no husband present, 3 (3.1%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 10 (10.4%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 2 (2.1%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 34 households (35.4%) were made up of individuals and 12 (12.5%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.14. There were 55 families (57.3% of all households); the average family size was 2.73.
The population was spread out with 37 people (18.0%) under the age of 18, 10 people (4.9%) aged 18 to 24, 37 people (18.0%) aged 25 to 44, 92 people (44.9%) aged 45 to 64, and 29 people (14.1%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 49.8 years. For every 100 females there were 97.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 112.7 males.
There were 158 housing units at an average density of 221.9 per square mile (85.7/km²), of which 74 (77.1%) were owner-occupied, and 22 (22.9%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 3.8%; the rental vacancy rate was 15.4%. 161 people (78.5% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 44 people (21.5%) lived in rental housing units.
- U.S. Census
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Calpine, California
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- "Senators". State of California. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- "Members Assembly". State of California. Retrieved March 2, 2013.
- "California's 1st Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved March 3, 2013.