|1875 Belmont Stakes
1874 Joly Stakes
1875 Jersey Derby
Calvin was foaled in 1872, and was a brown stallion sired by Tipperary. He was bred by Price McGrath. Tipperary was sired by Ringgold and his dam was Roxana by the imported stallion Chesterfield. Calvin's dam was Lucy Fowler, who was sired by imported Albion. Lucy's dam was an unnamed mare sired by imported Leviathan. Calvin was a full brother to the stakes winner Aaron Pennington, who was foaled in 1871. Lucy was also the dam of the stakes winning Tom Bowling, who was sired by Lexington and was foaled in 1870.
Calvin won the ninth running of the Belmont Stakes in 1875 at Jerome Park Racetrack in a time of 2 minutes 401⁄4 seconds. He carried 110 pounds (50 kilograms) pounds in the race, and won $4,450 (approximately $96,000 as of 2014) for his owner. The race was run on June 12 over a distance of 1 1⁄2 miles (12 furlongs (2,400 meters)) on a fast track. Calvin won by two lengths from the second placed finisher Aristides; the third place went to Milner. Both Calvin and Aristides were owned by Price McGarth. Calvin's trainer was A. Williams. The winning jockey was R. Swim.
Besides his win in the Belmont, Calvin also won the 1875 Jersey Derby.
Calvin sired no stakes winners.
- New York Racing Association "1875 Belmont" The Belmont Stakes
- Hogan Index to Stakes Winners p. 686
- Hogan Index to Stakes Winners p. 313
- New York Racing Association "Belmont Stakes" The Belmont Stakes
- Consumer Price Index (estimate) 1800–2014. Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- Staff. "Horse notes". The New York Herald.
- Hogan Index to Stakes Winner p. 553
- Hogan, Clio D. (n.d.). Index to Stakes Winners 1865–1967. Solvang, CA: Flag Is Up Farms.
- New York Racing Association (2010). "1875 Belmont Stakes" (pdf). The Belmont Stakes. New York Racing Association. Retrieved June 1, 2011.
- New York Racing Association (2010). "Belmont Stakes". The Belmont Stakes. New York Racing Association. Retrieved June 1, 2011.
- Staff (April 28, 1879). "Horse notes". The New York Herald. Retrieved June 2, 2011.