Cam Archer (born 1981) is an American independent filmmaker, photographer and sound designer, currently residing in Santa Cruz, California. Archer's first success was with his 2003 student produced short film, bobbycrush, about a young boy's unrequited love for his best friend. The film premiered at the 2004 Sundance Film Festival, received a Student Academy Award nomination that same year and inspired much of Archer's future work.
After being work-shopped at the 2005 Sundance Screenwriter's Lab, Archer's first feature film, Wild Tigers I Have Known, premiered at the 2006 Sundance Film Festival and went on to be distributed theatrically in 2007 by IFC Films. The film follows 13 year-old Logan (Malcolm Stumpf), as he comes to terms with his sexual identity, the hell of middle school, wild mountain lions and life with his single mother (Fairuza Balk). Cinematographer and frequent Archer collaborator, Aaron Platt, received a 2007 Independent Spirit Award nomination for his work on the film. Gus Van Sant and producer Scott Rudin were executive producers on the project, in addition to producers Lars Knudsen and Jay Van Hoy.
Archer's second feature film, Shit Year, premiered at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival, as part of their Director's Fortnight program. The black and white film follows actress Colleen West (Ellen Barkin), as she is forced to reexamine her career, her psychological well being and a recent, failed romantic relationship with fellow actor, Harvey West (Luke Grimes). The film also features narration by Rickie Lee Jones, and performances by Melora Walters, Bob Einstein and Theresa Randle. The film was produced by Lars Knudsen and Jay Van Hoy, released theatrically at the IFC Center in New York City in the fall of 2011 and on home video by Factory 25 in the fall of 2012.
Between features, Archer has also directed numerous short films and music videos, including collaborations with Current 93, Emily Jane White, Imperial Teen, Joan Jett, Julianna Barwick, Lydia Lunch, Mick Turner, Peaking Lights, Sarabeth Tucek, Six Organs of Admittance, Xiu Xiu and Zero 7.
- Their Houses (2011)
- Shit Year (2010)
- The Dead Letters: I Hate You For Leaving (2010), Light Dark (2009), Above Below (2008)
- Images For Billie Joe McAllister (2006)
- Wild Tigers I Have Known (2006)
- American Fame Pt. 2: Forgetting Jonathan Brandis (2005)
- Godly Boyish (2004)
- American Fame Pt. 1: Drowning River Phoenix (2004)
- bobbycrush (2003)
- The Sad Ones (2002)
- "Cam Archer". Retrieved 2008-02-14. Cinemad
- Ellen Barkin Stars in Cam Archer’s ‘____ Year’ - Review - NYTimes.com
- Teenage Angst, Surreal Odyssey, Vintage Bohemia: U.K. Film - Bloomberg
- Godly Boyish: An Interview with Cam Archer | SouthCoastToday.com
- (German) Performance über eine alternde Hollywooddiva - "Shit Year " von Cam Archer im Kino | Kultur heute | Deutschlandfunk
- Cam Archer's new direction - Santa Cruz Sentinel
- Directors' Fortnight titles unveiled - The Hollywood Reporter (subscription required)