|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2007)|
A camarilla is a group of courtiers or favourites who surround a king or ruler. Usually, they do not hold any office or have any official authority at court but influence their ruler behind the scenes. Consequently, they also escape having to bear responsibility for the effects of their advice. The term derives from the Spanish word, camarilla (diminutive of cámara), meaning "little chamber" or private cabinet of the king. It was first used of the circle of cronies around Spanish King Ferdinand VII (reigned 1814-1833). The term involves what is known as cronyism. The term also entered other languages like the German and Greek language, and is used in the sense given above.
A similar concept in modern politics is that of a Kitchen Cabinet, which is often composed of unelected advisers bypassing traditional governance practices.
The camarilla of President Paul von Hindenburg
- Oskar von Hindenburg, the son of the President, nicknamed "[t]he President's son unplanned for in the Constitution."
- Otto Meissner, secretary of state, chief of the presidential office
- General Kurt von Schleicher, head of the military office in the Defence Ministry, later Chancellor
- Franz von Papen, Chancellor
The camarilla of Queen Marie
The camarilla of King Carol II
- Magda Lupescu, mistress and later wife of King Carol II 
- Puiu Dumitrescu, private secretary of King Carol II (earlier period) 
- Barbu Ionescu, businessman 
- Hugo Bacher 
- Gabriel Marinescu, Bucharest police prefect 
- Ernest Urdăreanu, secretary of King Carol II (later period)
- Max Auschnitt, industrialist 
- Nicolae Malaxa, industrialist 
- Aristide Blank, industrialist
- Mihai Moruzov, head of the Romanian Secret Intelligence Service 
- "Camarilla" is also the name of a "sect" (faction) in the role-playing game Vampire: The Masquerade.
- The Camarilla is a multi-planetary, multi-species secret organization intent on keeping Earth isolated from the rest of the galaxy in Brian Daley's "Fitzhugh & Floyt" trilogy.
- The Camarilla is a multi-planetary, multi-species secret organization with varied and often obscure motives in Lisanne Norman's Sholan Alliance.
- Privy Council
- Royal court
- Cabal Ministry
- Cliveden set
- Éminence grise
- The School of Night
- R. G. Waldeck, Athene Palace, New York: Robert M. McBride and Company, 1942.
- Hans-Christian Maner, Parlamentarismus in Rumänien (1930-1940): Demokratie im autoritären Umfeld, Munich: Oldenbourg Wissenschaftsverlag, 1997, ISBN 3-486-56329-7, ISBN 978-3-486-56329-0.
- Petre Pandrea, Cronică valahă cu inginerul Malaxa ("Wallachian Chronicle with Engineer Malaxa"), in Magazin Istoric, May 2002.