Camden (village), New York
|Camden, New York|
|Nickname(s): The Queen Village of Oneida County|
|• Total||2.3 sq mi (5.9 km2)|
|• Land||2.3 sq mi (5.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||502 ft (153 m)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0945512|
Camden is located at (43.338072, -75.746074).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 2.3 square miles (5.9 km²).None of the area is covered with water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,330 people, 920 households, and 598 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,030.9 people per square mile (398.1/km²). There were 1,000 housing units at an average density of 442.4 per square mile (170.8/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 97.30% White, 0.39% Black or African American, 0.09% Native American, 0.73% Asian, 0.39% from other races, and 1.12% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.33% of the population.
There were 920 households out of which 31.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.8% were married couples living together, 11.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.9% were non-families. 30.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 3.05.
In the village the population was spread out with 26.6% under the age of 18, 7.8% from 18 to 24, 25.9% from 25 to 44, 23.3% from 45 to 64, and 16.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 93.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.6 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $30,767, and the median income for a family was $39,063. Males had a median income of $31,736 versus $20,625 for females. The per capita income for the village was $17,303. About 10.3% of families and 13.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.7% of those under age 18 and 19.1% of those age 65 or over.
- Lorimer Rich, the architect that designed the Tomb of the Unknowns in Washington, DC, was born in Camden on October 24, 1891 and lived there from 1971 until his death in 1978.
- Todd Gordon (crew chief), NASCAR Sprint Cup Crew Chief of the #22 Penske Racing to driver Joey Logano. Grew up in Camden.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Collections & Papers: Lorimer Rich". Syracuse University. Retrieved 2006-03-27.