Camden Road railway station
Location of Camden Road in Greater London
|Local authority||London Borough of Camden|
|Managed by||London Overground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|OSI||Camden Town |
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|25 September 1950||Renamed (Camden Road)|
|Lists of stations|
| London Transport portal
UK Railways portalCoordinates:
Camden Road railway station is in the London Borough of Camden in North London. The station and all trains serving it are operated by London Overground. It is on the North London Line and in Travelcard Zone 2.
This is the second station of this name, and is located at the corner of Royal College Street and Camden Road. Opened as "Camden Town" by the North London Railway on 8 December 1870. It was renamed "Camden Road" on 25 September 1950 to avoid confusion with the London Underground Northern line Camden Town which had opened in 1907. Between 1907 and 1950 there were two 'Camden Town' stations.
The present Camden Town station is 450 metres to the southwest, however the accompanying 2008 photograph shows the original name still displayed on the parapet. It is one of the few railway stations in England in which there is a police station. The first Camden Road station was about 500 metres further east and was operated by the Midland Railway between 1868 and 1916.
To allow four-car trains to run on the London Overground network, the North London Line between Gospel Oak and Stratford closed in February 2010, and reopened on 1 June 2010, in order to install a new signalling system and to extend 30 platforms. After the reopening the work continued until May 2011 with a reduced service and none on Sundays.
The typical weekday service in trains per hour is:
- 4 westbound to Richmond via Willesden Junction.
- 2 westbound to Clapham Junction also via Willesden Junction.
- 6 eastbound to Stratford via Highbury & Islington.
There is now no normal passenger service on the line from Camden Road to Willesden Junction Low Level via Queens Park.
London bus routes 29, 46, 253, 274 and night routes N29, N253 and N279.
- "Out of Station Interchanges" (Microsoft Excel). Transport for London. May 2010. Retrieved 3 June 2010.
- "Station usage". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. 30 April 2010. Retrieved 17 January 2011. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- http://goo.gl/maps/1DibD Walking directions to Camden Town tube station from Camden Road railway station
- "London Overground to close from Gospel Oak to Stratford as part of £326m upgrade to deliver longer, more frequent trains". TfL. 15 February 2010. Retrieved 29 May 2011.
- North London Line timetable from 22 May 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Camden Road railway station.|
|Preceding station||London Overground||Following station|
|North London Line||
|Highbury & Islington
|Kentish Town West||North London-Watford Link
(LNWR suburban system)
|Primrose Hill||Caledonian Road & Barnsbury|
|This London railway station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|