|Products||Music and DVD stores|
Camelot Music was a leading mall-based retailer of prerecorded music and accessories and was one of the largest music retailers in the United States based on store count.
As of May 31, 1998, the company operated 455 stores in 37 states nationwide under two brand names: Camelot Music, founded in 1956, operating 305 stores with a significant store base concentration in the Midwest and Southeast regions of the United States; and The Wall, operating 150 stores primarily in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast regions of the United States.
The Wall was best known for its trademark "Lifetime Music Guarantee", which offered free replacements for cassettes and CDs that had been damaged in any way. They were also notable for allowing customers to listen to CDs before buying them, and for their "Repeat Performer" customer card program, where 20 card punches earned a free CD or cassette tape.
In late 1998, Camelot was acquired by Trans World Entertainment, which later consolidated all of its mall-based music stores under the brand name F.Y.E., including the remaining Camelot and The Wall locations.
- "Company Closes, But Aids Workers Through Changes The Wall Built A Successful Culture. It Decided To Build A Successful Way Of Taking The Company Apart". Philadelphia Inquirer, March 30, 1998.
- "Camelot Music, Spec's Music announce merger agreement". South Florida Business Journal, June 5, 1998.
- "Music Stores Spec's And Camelot Merge". Ocala Star-Banner, August 11, 1998.
- "The Wall Lifetime Music Guarantee".
- "The Wall Lifetime Music Guarantee". Reading Eagle, July 6, 1994, Page A5.
- "The Wall building solid relationship with music lovers". The Reading Eagle. July 1, 1998.
- "Trans World finds Camelot in purchase of competitor". The Business Review, November 2, 1998.
- "Trans World To Buy Camelot Music For $451.9 Million". New York Times, October 27, 1998.
- "Also...". Los Angeles Times, October 27, 1998.
|This United States retail business article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|