Cameraman Gangatho Rambabu
|Cameraman Gangatho Rambabu|
|Directed by||Puri Jagannath|
|Produced by||D. V. V. Danayya|
|Written by||Puri Jagannath|
|Screenplay by||Puri Jagannath|
|Music by||Mani Sharma|
|Cinematography||Shyam K. Naidu|
|Edited by||S. R. Shekhar|
|Distributed by||Sri Venkateswara Creations
14 Reels Entertainment (Krishna)
|Running time||145 minutes|
|Budget||40 crore (US$6.5 million)|
|Box office||25 crore (US$4.1 million)(first weekend gross)|
Cameraman Gangatho Rambabu is a 2012 Telugu film written and directed by Puri Jagannath. The film stars Pawan Kalyan and Tamanna in the lead roles and was launched in Hyderabad on 14 March 2012. Filming started from 15 June 2012. The film was released on 18 October 2012 in over 1600 screens.
Rambabu (Pawan Kalyan) is a Hot-Blooded, High Tempered Mechanic who has a kind heart as well as a tendency to react to various social incidents shown or published in the electronic media. After studying his mentality, Ganga (Tamanna), a cameraman from NC Channel offers him a Job as a Journalist and he accepts it. Ex-Chief Minister Jawahar Naidu (Kota Srinivasa Rao) tries to collapse the Government and regaining the CM post and is strongly supported by his son Rana Babu (Prakash Raj), a newbie to politics. Meanwhile a reputed Journalist Dasaradh Ram (Surya) brings the proofs and required information about the scams and atrocities committed by Jawahar Naidu, only to be brutally murdered by Rana Babu.
Though everyone including the police are aware that Rana Babu is the murderer, none dares to tell the same. Rambabu valiantly opposes him and gets him arrested. However, Rana Babu is released from the jail with the help of his political friends and he challenges Ram Babu that he would be the CM by using the Media. A War starts between Ram Babu and Rana Babu when Rana Babu enters politics. For Gaining Political Mileage, Rana Babu starts a movement opposing the presence of other states people in Andhra Pradesh and makes it a Big movement. He even injures Ram Babu severely.
However, Ram Babu at the hospital delivers an emotional speech thus destroying the momentum of the movement. For making his position in the politics strong, he makes Jawahar Naidu deliver his last speech and murders him, which is recorded by Smitha (Gabriela Bertante), the head of another News Channel, with whom Rana Babu makes a deal to disclose the whole for a hefty price. With the support of all the young blood influenced by his speech, Ram Babu reaches the building where Rana Babu hosted a party for his colleagues.
Ram Babu sents a message with the commissioner of police to Rana Babu that the guests should vacate the building to avoid themselves being killed along with Rana Babu by the people. Before leaving, Smitha orders to telecast the video, only to be killed by Rana Babu. Rana Babu comes outside with his pistol and shoots Ram Babu. The film ends with Rana Babu dying in the stampede of the people and Ram Babu reaching the ambulance accompanied by Ganga, whom he loved and who he is being loved by.
- Pawan Kalyan as Rambabu
- Tamanna as Ganga
- Prakash Raj as Rana Prathap Naidu
- Kota Srinivasa Rao as Jawahar Naidu (Opposition Leader)
- Gabriela Bertante as Smitha
- Nassar as Chandrasekhara Reddy, Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh
- M S Narayana
- Ali as SRK
- Tanikella Bharani
- Dharmavarapu Subramanyam
- Scarlett Mellish Wilson in an item number ("Joramochindhi")
Pawan Kalyan has previously worked with Puri Jagannath in Badri, which also was Puri's debut movie. Initially movies like Idiot, Amma Nanna O Tamil Ammayi, Pokiri, Golimaar were planned to be made with Pawan Kalyan and there were constant reports of them working together, none proved true. After the release of Puri Jagganath's Business Man, it was reported that Puri met Pawan at his house. On 18 January 2012, Puri Jagganath announced on his Twitter account that Pawan had agreed to do a film with him and filming would begin in mid-2012. On 25 January 2012 Puri announced that the film would be produced by D.V.V. Danayya on Universal Media banner and that filming would begin in May 2012 after Pawan completed filming for Gabbar Singh. On 10 February 2012, Puri Jagganath revealed on his Twitter that he was in Bangkok and had completed writing the first half of the film. He also announced that the film would be titled Cameraman Gangatho Rambabu and released the logo of the film on his Twitter. On 15 February 2012, it was reported that Puri has completed writing the script. The film was officially launched on 14 March 2012 at Puri Jagannath's office in Hyderabad. It was soon announced that S. R. Shekhar, who worked for Puri's previous four movies, will be handling the film's editing and Shyam K. Naidu will work as the cinematographer. It was also reported that Mani Sharma would give the soundtrack for the film. This would be Puri Jagannath's 25th film.
It was announced on 14 March 2012 that Prakash Raj, Brahmanandam, Ali, Tanikella Bharani and Kota Srinivasa Rao were cast for vital roles in the film. It was reported that Pawan Kalyan would be seen in the role of a news reporter and the female lead will be played by Tamanna. Scarlett Wilson has been roped for an item song.
Filming was set to begin in the second week of May 2012 after Puri finishes Devudu Chesina Manushulu. It was also reported that major part of the filming would take place in Hyderabad. The first schedule of the film started on 15 June 2012 at Saradhi Studios and shifted to Padmalaya. A tough situation was faced by the police to handle the crowd at shooting spot. The second schedule of the film began on 9 July 2012. By August, filming of the talkie part was completed and the shooting was wrapped up in September after the remaining (two) songs in the film were shot. A fight scene was shot at Ramoji Rao City. Puri originally planned to shoot climax with real life Pawan fans but due to weather it was postponed. A set resembling that of a media office was erected at Saradhi studios for 30 million.
"Exilir India Entertainments" company bagged the theatrical distribution rights for Australia and New Zealand. The theatrical distribution rights of the film for Vizag region were sold for 41 million. Telugu film production company 14 Reels Entertainment bagged the theatrical screening rights of the film for Krishna District.
Tamanna is the heroine in this movie and she is a cameraman for Pawan. Puri Jagannadh is director and he has given screenplay and dialogues also for this movie. Producer is Danayya and presenter is Radhakrishna Music has been given by Mani Sharma. In AP alone the satellite rights were sold for 6.5 crore (US$1.1 million) and the music and Home media rights were sold for 3 crore (US$490,000) The total pre-release revenue will be somewhere around 530 million (US$8.6 million)
|Territories and ancillary revenues||Price|
|Nizam distribution rights||12 crore (US$1.9 million)|
|Satellite rights with Geminitv||6.5 crore (US$1.1 million)|
|Ceded distribution rights||7.5 crore (US$1.2 million)|
|Nellore distribution rights||2 crore (US$320,000)|
|Krishna distribution rights||2.5 crore (US$410,000)|
|Guntur distribution rights||3 crore (US$490,000)|
|Uttar Andhra distribution rights||4.1 crore (US$660,000)|
|East Godaveri rights||2.7 crore (US$440,000)|
|West Godaveri rights||2.3 crore (US$370,000)|
|Karnataka and ROI rights||2.5 crore (US$410,000)|
|Overseas distribution rights (Fiscus)||4.5 crore (US$730,000)|
|Music rights with Aditya Music||1 crore (US$160,000)|
|Total (distribution)||42.5 crore (US$6.9 million)|
|Grand total*||50 crore (US$8.1 million)|
- The figures don't include the print and advertising (P&A) costs.
The Teaser on making of the film was released on 2 September 2012. The film has got a U/A Certificate without any cuts from Central Board of Film Certification on 11 October 2012. The film was released on 18 October 2012 in over 1600 screens. On the second day of its release following protests by Telangana supporters against objectionable scenes which they claimed hurt their sentiments and allegedly belittling the pro-Telangana movement, the screening of the film was stopped in many theatres across Telangana region. As the controversy surrounding objectionable scenes in the film continues to affect its screening in several Telangana districts, a committee constituted by the Government has recommended cuts and modifications of nine scenes.
The film received positive reviews. The Times of India website has stated that "The first half of the film goes on a decent note while the film's racy second half keeps you going". Rediff wrote : "With Cameraman Gangatho Rambabu, Puri Jagannadh is trying to look for an idealistic situation". The Way2movies website gave a rating of 3.25/5 for the film and stated that "A sincere attempt by Puri Jagannadh. Watch Pawan Kalyan's terrific on-screen presence in Cameraman Gangatho Rambabu". Idlebrain wrote : "Strengths of the film are Pawan Kalyan's explosive performance and Puri Jagan's superb characterization/dialogues. On the flip side, the holistic approach and strong villain characterization is missing in the film. There is enough fire power in the movie to make it commercially work". The 123telugu website also gave a rating 3.25/5 for the film and stated that "'Cameraman Gangatho Rambabu' is a movie that works primarily due to Pawan Kalyan's sheer force and powerful on-screen presence. A good second half, solid punch dialogues and a terrific performance from Pawan elevate the movie. The film will be a great watch for those who are interested in politics, and a decent one for regular movie lovers". The SuperGoodMovies website also gave a rating of 3.25/5 for the film and stated that "Go and Watch Cameraman Gangatho Rambabu for Powerstar Pawan Kalyan's excellent performance. CGR is packaged with full of entertainment. Another hit for Power Star Pawan Kalyan this year". The Oneindia Entertainment website has stated that "What strikes you in the film is the way Puri has presented this subject on screen. Pawan Kalyan's performance stands out in it". Telugu cinema wrote : "Cameraman Ganga-tho Rambabu is a treat for Pawan Kalyan's fans and for Puri's fans, with its central theme actually going above and beyond the star and the star-director".
The film did well at box office and the film became hit at the box office. The film has collected approximately 220 million (US$3.6 million)gross worldwide in 1 week. The film has collected approximately 28.8 million (US$470,000) in USA in 1 week(nett). The film has completed 50 days in 72 centres on 6 December 2012 in Andhra Pradesh. it completed 100 days run in 2 centres.
The VCD's, DVD's and Blu-ray disc's of the film were released into the market through Aditya Video company on 17 January 2013.
The soundtrack of the film was released without audio launch through Aditya Music label on 26 September 2012. The music of the film was composed by Mani Sharma collaborating with Puri Jagan and with Pawan for fourth time. The album consists of six songs. The lyrics for all songs were penned by Bhaskarabhatla. The audio songs of the film were well received by the audience.
- "CGTR Nizam Theater Rights by Dil Raju". TeluguOne. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- "Cameraman Ganga Tho Rambabu West Godavari right Sold". timesofap.com. Retrieved 1 September 2012.
- "Cameraman Gangatho Rambabu is ready for release tomorrow!". chitramala.in. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- "CGTR budget and B/O collections". CNN-IBN. 24 October 2012.
- "Cameraman Gangatho Rambabu Muhurat". raagalahari.com. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "Pawan and Puri coming together". People. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- "Pawan Kalyan, Puri Jagannadh film soon". telugu.way2movies.com. Retrieved 18 January 2012.
- "Pawan, Puri Jagannath Movie from May". teluguone.com. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Pawan Kalyan's 'Cameraman Gangatho Rambabu' with Puri Jagannadh". raagalahari.com. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "Pawan Kalyan's 'Rambabu' script is ready". supergoodmovies.com. Retrieved 15 February 2012.
- "Tamanna is Ganga in Pawan's film". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 26 March 2012.
- "Scarlett Wilson jigs with Pawan Kalyan in CGTR". 123telugu.com. Retrieved 16 October 2012.
- "Strong Protection-Pawan's shooting spot". ifilmish.com. Retrieved 22 June 2012.
- "Pawan's CMGR shooting shifts to Padmalaya Studios". 123telugu.com. Retrieved 16 October 2012.
- "Pawan's CGTR starts new schedule". ifilmish.com. Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- "Pawan Kalyan's CMGR is almost complete". 123telugu.com. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Pawan Fights at RFC". 123telugu.com. Retrieved 16 October 2012.
- "Pawan's shoot with fans postponed". 123telugu.com. 1. Retrieved 16 October 2012. Check date values in:
- "Set Worth Crores For 'Cameraman Ganga Tho Rambabu'". greatandhra.com. 17 June 2012. Retrieved 16 October 2012.
- "Australia Schedules : Cameraman Ganga Tho Rambabu (Pawan)". 123telugu.com. Retrieved 16 October 2012.
- "Exclusive : Pawan's CMGR smashes Uttarandhra price record". 123telugu.com. Retrieved 16 October 2012.
- "14 Reels bags CGTR rights for Krishna .Nizam Distribution were sold for Rs 11.50 by "Dil" RajuDt.". The Times of India. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- "Pawan Kalyan's CGTR bags 'U/A' certificate without any cuts". entertainment.oneindia. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "Screening of Pawan's film stopped". TheHindu. 30 October 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "Protests across Telangana against 'Cameraman Gangatho Rambabu'". TheHindu. 19 October 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "Panel suggests cuts for 'Rambabu'". TheHindu. 21 October 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "Cameraman Gangatho Rambabu (CGTR) Telugu movie review highlights". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Radhika Rajamani (18 October 2012). "Review: CGR is a one time watch". rediff.com. Retrieved 21 February 2013.
- "Cameraman Ganga Tho Rambabu Movie Review". telugu.way2movies.com. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Jeevi (18 October 2012). "Telugu Movie review – Cameraman Gangatho Rambabu". idlebrain.com. Retrieved 21 February 2013.
- "Pawan's CMGR – Powerful Political Entertainer". 123telugu.com. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- "Cameraman Ganga Tho Rambabu Movie Review". supergoodmovies.com. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- "Cameraman Ganga Tho Rambabu – Movie Review". entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- NaChaKi (18 October 2012). "Movie Review: Cameraman Ganga-tho Rambabu". telugucinema.com. Retrieved 21 February 2013.
- "Mega family films rock at Box Office in 2012". Oneindia Entertainment. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- "Pawan's Cameraman Ganga Tho Rambabu 2 days collection at Box Office". entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 20 October 2012.
- "Cameraman Ganga Tho Rambabu (CGTR) 1 week collections". The Times of India. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "CMGR 50 Days Theaters List". chitramala.in. Retrieved 5 December 2012.
- "CGR DVD/BlueRay released". idlebrain.com. 18 January 2013. Retrieved 18 January 2013.
- "Pawan's CGTR audio to release in market on Sept 26". OneIndia. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- Sashidhar, AS (27 September 2012). "Cameraman Ganga tho Rambabu audio gets great response". The Times of India. Retrieved 27 September 2012.