Cameron Leigh Stewart
|Cameron Leigh Stewart|
|Institutions||University of Waterloo|
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge
University of British Columbia
|Doctoral advisor||Alan Baker|
|Doctoral students||Stanley Yao Xiao
|Notable awards||J. T. Knight Prize (1974)
Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada (1989)
Fields Institute Fellow (2008)
Cameron Leigh Stewart FRSC is a Canadian mathematician. He is a professor of pure mathematics at the University of Waterloo. He was elected Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada in 1989. He was appointed Fellow of the Fields Institute in 2008. Since 2003 he has held a Canada Research Chair (tier 1). Since 2005 he has been appointed University Professor at the University of Waterloo.
He made numerous contributions to number theory, in particular the abc conjecture. In 1976 he obtained, with Alan Baker, an effective improvement to Liouville's Theorem. In 1991 he proved that the number of solutions to a Thue equation is at most , where is a pre-determined positive real number and is the number of distinct primes dividing a large divisor of . This improves on an earlier result of Enrico Bombieri and Wolfgang M. Schmidt and is close to the best possible result. In 1995 he obtained, along with Jaap Top, the existence of infinitely many quadratic, cubic, and sextic twists of elliptic curves of large rank. In 1991 and 2001 respectively, he obtained, along with Kunrui Yu, the best unconditional estimates for the abc conjecture. In 2013, he solved an old problem of Erdős involving Lucas and Lehmer numbers. In particular, he proved that the largest prime divisor of satisfies .
Stewart completed a B.Sc. at the University of British Columbia in 1971 and a M.Sc in 1972 from McGill University. He earned his doctorate from the University of Cambridge in 1976, under supervision of Alan Baker. While at Cambridge he was awarded the J.T. Knight Prize in 1974.
Stewart has Erdős number 1.
- Stewart, C. L.; Tijdeman, R. (1986). "On the Oesterlé-Masser conjecture". Monatshefte für Mathematik 102 (3): 251–257. doi:10.1007/BF01294603.
- Erdős, P.; Stewart, C. L.; Tijdeman, R. (1988). "Some diophantine equations with many solutions". Compositio Mathematica 66 (1): 37–56.
- Stewart, C.L. (1991). "On the number of solutions of polynomial congruences and Thue equations". J. Amer. Math. Soc. 4 (4): 793–835. doi:10.1090/s0894-0347-1991-1119199-x. MR 1119199.
- Stewart, C. L.; Kunrui Yu (1991). "On the abc conjecture". Mathematische Annalen 291 (1): 225–230. doi:10.1007/BF01445201.
- Stewart, C. L.; Top, J. (1995). "On ranks of twists of elliptic curves and power-free values of binary forms". J. Amer. Math. Soc. 8 (4): 943–973. doi:10.1090/s0894-0347-1995-1290234-5. MR 1290234.
- Stewart, C. L.; Kunrui Yu (2001). "On the abc conjecture, II". Duke. Math. J 108 (1): 169–181. MR 1831823.
- Stewart, C. L. (2013). "On divisors of Lucas and Lehmer numbers". Acta.Math. 211: 291–314. doi:10.1007/s11511-013-0105-y. MR 3143892.
- Cameron L. Stewart's Canada Research Chair Profile
- University Professors of the University of Waterloo http://provost.uwaterloo.ca/universityprofessors.html
- Curriculum Vitae at University of Waterloo
|This article about a Canadian scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|