Cameron Ling in October 2011
|Full name||Cameron Neville Ling|
|Date of birth||27 February 1981|
|Place of birth||Geelong, Victoria|
|Original team||Geelong Falcons|
|Draft||38th overall, 1999
|Height/Weight||189 cm / 94 kg|
1 Playing statistics correct to end of 2011 season.
Cameron Ling (born 27 February 1981) is a former Australian rules footballer for the Geelong Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). A tagger at 1.89 metres (6 ft 2 in) and 94 kilograms (207 lb), Ling was a premiership-winning captain at the club.
He is now a commentator on AFL football for the Seven Network and a special comments commentator on AFL football for radio station 3AW. In 2014, Ling will now work for one day a week during the 2014 season on the development of the North Melbourne leadership group. He is also a member of the selection panel for the AFL All Australian team and the NAB AFL Rising Star Award.
In 2007, his on field performances were rewarded with selection in the All-Australian team on the interchange.
On 20 January 2010, Cameron Ling was announced as the team's new captain, taking over from the recently retired Tom Harley. He captained the Cats in the 2010 AFL season and the 2011 AFL season. In 2011, he captained Geelong to their third premiership in 5 years against Collingwood. He kicked the final goal of the match after a turn-over from Harry O'Brien.
Post playing days
In November 2011, Ling announced he would join Channel 7 in a commentary role on one of their new Saturday games. At the beginning of the 2012 Associated Public Schools of Victoria football season, Ling took up the position of Director of Football at Geelong Grammar School.
"Mayor" of Geelong
In what started as a joke, following the hype of the Cats drought-breaking premiership, Cameron Ling was touted as the 'mayor of Geelong', a humorous reference to the way he is idolised by Geelong people.
On Wednesday 3 October 2007 though, Geelong's then Mayor, councillor Bruce Harwood, agreed that he'd be happy to step down for Cameron. Ling's interest in politics and his intelligence is widely known, while it's been reported that he took a significant interest in local council and leadership during his days at St. Joseph's College, Geelong.
During the Premiership celebratory parade through Geelong's streets on 3 October, Ling acknowledged his title as mayor, however despite the contention it raised, was never formalised and thus more of a publicity stunt. It was an incident that may well foreshadow his pursuits after football.
In December 2012, Ling's partner Nicole Dodds gave birth to their first child, Max Neville.
- Statistics are correct to end of AFL career 
|†||Denotes seasons in which Ling won an AFL Premiership|
|Led the league for the Season only|
|Led the league after finals only|
|Led the league after Season and Finals|
*10 games required to be eligible.
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
Honours and achievements
|Brownlow Medal votes|
|Green / Bold = Won
* = joint winner
|Red / Italics = Ineligible|
- All-Australian: 2007
- Carji Greeves Medal: 2004
- Australian representative honours in International rules football: 2002
- Geelong F.C. Best First Year Reserves Player Award: 2000
- Geelong F.C. Most Improved Player Award: 2001
- Geelong F.C. Most club votes in Brownlow Medal: 2002, 2003, 2005
- Geelong F.C. Community Champion Award: 2003
- Geelong F.C. Most Determined and Most Dedicated Player Award: 2005
- Geelong F.C Coach's Award: 2008
- Captain of Geelong F.C.: 2010—2011
- Vice-captain of Geelong F.C.: 2007—2009
- Deputy vice-captain of Geelong F.C.: 2005—2006
- AFL Rising Star nomination: 2001
- Vic Country representative honours at the AFL National Under 18 Championships: 1998, 1999
- Captain of Geelong Falcons (TAC Cup): 1998
- TAC Cup Team of the Year: 1998
- Australian (Under-17) representative honours in International rules football: 1998
- "Steven, Riewoldt up for All Australian", AFL website, 3 September 2013. Retrieved 7 September 2013.
- "Cameron Ling Player Profile bio".
- Top Cat bows out as Ling calls time – smh.com.au. Published 5 October 2011. Retrieved 5 October 2011.
- "North plots path to redemption", The Australian, 12 October 2013. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- Cameron Ling's profile on the official website of the Geelong Football Club
- Cameron Ling's statistics from AFL Tables
|Geelong Football Club captain
|Carji Greeves Medal