||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2009)|
Cameron Russell in upstate New York, 2008
|Born||14 June 1987|
|Alma mater||Columbia University|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Eye color||Dark Brown|
|Measurements||(US) 33-23-34; (EU) 84-58-86|
|Dress size||(US) 6; (EU) 36|
Cameron Russell was born in Boston, and raised in Cambridge. Her mother is Robin Chase, founder of Zipcar. Her father is an engineer and CEO of GoLoco, a car-pooling and social networking company.
Russell displayed an interest in politics at an early age, and friends who had worked on the Clinton Presidential election campaign arranged a meeting on June 5, 1998 (when she was 10) with Bill Clinton after he delivered a speech at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. His advice to her was to stay in school, get to know as many different types of people as she could, and to understand their dreams and aspirations. She graduated from the Commonwealth School in 2005.
Russell's mother had a friend who worked at Ford Models agency, and Russell decided to sign with that agency in 2003. She later moved on to DNA Model Management in 2006, switched to Women Management in 2008, and then moved to Elite Model Management in 2011.
Since beginning her modeling career part-time at the age of 16, Russell has worked with numerous successful photographers including Steven Meisel, Craig McDean, and Nick Knight among others, in such magazines as American, French, Italian, Spanish, German and Japanese Vogue, W, Self Service and Numéro. She has featured in advertising campaigns for companies including Ann Taylor, Benetton, Louis Vuitton, Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Armani, Oscar de la Renta, and Yves Saint Laurent.
Russell has featured in runway fashion shows for designers including Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Prada, Dolce & Gabbana, Marc Jacobs, Versace, Vivienne Westwood, Ralph Lauren, Victoria's Secret, and Diane von Fürstenberg.
In October 2012, Russell gave a presentation entitled "Looks aren't Everything. Believe me, I'm a Model" at TEDx Mid-Atlantic, in which she described herself as having won "a genetic lottery," emphasized the selection and styling of models on the basis of a bias on looks and skin colour, and added: "it was difficult to unpack a legacy of gender and racial oppression when I am one of the greatest beneficiaries". The presentation was covered by The Huffington Post, which described the TED video as "refreshingly frank," and CNN, which invited Russell to a roundtable discussion. Some statements by Russell in her TED video have been criticized by Peter Frost.
She briefly attended Wellesley College in Wellesley, Massachusetts, her mother's alma mater, before transferring to Columbia University after her freshman year. She majored in economics and political science.
- "Cameron Russell". fashionmodeldirectory.com. Retrieved 12/16/2012.
- "Cameron's Portfolio". www.ouimanagement.com. Retrieved 12/16/2012.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1bb73hy4cA&feature=player_embedded [around the 6:35 mark]
- Russell, Cameron (18 February 2013). "@MrTruthMan ha! I really did :) My favorite book in 4th or 5th grade was neustadt's presidential power". Twitter.
- Russell, Cameron (18 February 2013). "@MrTruthMan told enuf ppl I wanted to be president, eventually met & told an old Clinton staffer who took me backstage when he spoke at MIT". Twitter.
- Shanahan, Mark (11 November 2011). "Cameron hits the catwalk". The Boston Globe.
- New York Magazine
- "Now Representing". Elite Model Management. Retrieved 12/16/2012.
- "Looks Aren't Everything. Believe Me, I'm a Model.". Retrieved 3/1/2013.
- "Cameron Russell's Ted Talk Includes Advice: Don't Be A Model, It's Not A Career Path". Retrieved 3/1/2013.
- "Model's Frank Talk: How I REALLY Look.". Retrieved 3/1/2013.
- "White Skin Privilege". Retrieved 7/8/2013.
- Model's Frank Talk Goes Viral (video). CNN. 2013. Event occurs at 3:39. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- Style.com profile
- Cameron Russell at the Fashion Model Directory
- Models.com profile
- New York Magazine profile
- Interview on Pony Ryder
- Looks aren't everything. Believe me, I'm a model. TEDxMidAtlantic October 2012