Russell in upstate New York, 2008
June 14, 1987 |
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Alma mater||Columbia University|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Eye color||Dark Brown|
|Measurements||(US) 33-23-34; (EU) 84-58-86|
|Dress size||(US) 6; (EU) 36|
|Shoe size||(US) 9; (EU) 40.5; (UK) 7|
Cameron Russell was born in Boston, and raised in Cambridge. Her mother is Robin Chase, founder of Zipcar. Her father is an engineer and CEO of GoLoco, a car-pooling and social networking company.
Russell displayed an interest in politics at an early age, and friends who had worked on the Clinton Presidential election campaign arranged a meeting on June 5, 1998 (when she was 10) with Bill Clinton after he delivered a speech at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. His advice to her was to stay in school, get to know as many different types of people as she could, and to understand their dreams and aspirations. She graduated from the Commonwealth School in 2005.
Russell's mother had a friend who worked at Ford Models agency, and Russell decided to sign with that agency in 2003. She later moved on to DNA Model Management in 2006, switched to Women Management in 2008, and then moved to Elite Model Management in 2011.
Since beginning her modeling career part-time at the age of 16, Russell has worked with numerous successful photographers including Steven Meisel, Craig McDean, and Nick Knight among others, in such magazines as American, French, Italian, Spanish, German and Japanese Vogue, W, Self Service and Numéro. She has featured in advertising campaigns for companies including Ann Taylor, Benetton, Louis Vuitton, Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Armani, Oscar de la Renta, and Yves Saint Laurent.
Russell has featured in runway fashion shows for designers including Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Prada, Dolce & Gabbana, Marc Jacobs, Versace, Vivienne Westwood, Ralph Lauren, Victoria's Secret, and Diane von Fürstenberg.
In October 2012, Russell gave a presentation entitled "Looks aren't Everything. Believe me, I'm a Model" at TEDx Mid-Atlantic, which is one of TED's 20 most popular talks  of all time. In it, she described herself as having won "a genetic lottery," emphasized the selection and styling of models on the basis of a bias on looks and skin colour, and added: "it was difficult to unpack a legacy of gender and racial oppression when I am one of the greatest beneficiaries". The presentation was covered by The Huffington Post, which described the TED video as "refreshingly frank," and CNN, which invited Russell to a roundtable discussion.
She briefly attended Wellesley College in Wellesley, Massachusetts, her mother's alma mater, before transferring to Columbia University after her freshman year. She majored in economics and political science.
- "Cameron Russell". fashionmodeldirectory.com. Retrieved December 16, 2012.
- "Cameron's Portfolio". www.ouimanagement.com. Retrieved December 16, 2012.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1bb73hy4cA&feature=player_embedded [around the 6:35 mark]
- Mulkerrins, Jane (October 14, 2013). "Fashion shoots". The Daily Telegraph (London).
- Russell, Cameron (February 18, 2013). "@MrTruthMan ha! I really did :) My favorite book in 4th or 5th grade was neustadt's presidential power". Twitter.
- Russell, Cameron (February 18, 2013). "@MrTruthMan told enuf ppl I wanted to be president, eventually met & told an old Clinton staffer who took me backstage when he spoke at MIT". Twitter.
- Shanahan, Mark (November 11, 2011). "Cameron hits the catwalk". The Boston Globe.
- "Cameron Russell". New York Magazine.
- "Now Representing". Elite Model Management. Retrieved December 16, 2012.
- "Cameron Russell". Style.com. Archived from the original on July 4, 2014.
- "Looks Aren't Everything. Believe Me, I'm a Model.". Retrieved January 3, 2013.
- Krupnick, Ellie (December 11, 2012). "Cameron Russell's Ted Talk Includes Advice: Don't Be A Model, It's Not A Career Path". Huffington Post. Retrieved January 3, 2013.
- "Model's Frank Talk: How I REALLY Look.". CNN. Retrieved January 3, 2013.
- Model's Frank Talk Goes Viral (VIDEO). CNN. 2013. Event occurs at 3:39. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- Cameron Russell photos at Style.com (archived at the Wayback Machine)
- Cameron Russell at the Fashion Model Directory
- Cameron Russell profile at Models.com
- Cameron Russell profile at NYmag.com
- Cameron Russell interview on Pony Ryder
- Looks aren't everything. Believe me, I'm a model. TEDxMidAtlantic October 2012