In 1981, Barbone signed the singer Madonna to a record deal with Gotham Records. Despite recording a demo and gaining increasing popularity with a new band, no material was released, and Madonna, with the help of a music lawyer, terminated her recording contract as interest from other labels emerged. Barbone would later take legal action against her for breach of contract. 
- Madonna: For the first time, her friends and lovers speak out
- O'Brien, Lucy (2007-10-25). Madonna: like an icon. HarperCollins. pp. 43–. ISBN 978-0-06-089896-0. Retrieved 17 May 2011.
- The child who became a star
- I Always Knew She Used Me
- O'Connor, John (29 November 1994). "TELEVISION REVIEW; Madonna, Blond Ambition, Indeed". New York Times. Retrieved 27 January 2014.