|Genres||Alternative hip hop, trip hop, kapuka rap, contemporary R&B|
|Occupations||Rapper, vocalist, record producer, DJ|
The group is considered one of the most exciting upcoming music groups in Kenya. However many adults of the age of 30 and above have criticised their "bubblegum music", according to the Buzz feature on the Sunday Nation website.
Camp Mulla were nominated in the 2012 BET Awards for the "Best International Act - Africa" category, becoming the first Kenyans to ever be nominated for a BET award in the process, alongside Lira, Mokobé and Ice Prince, but losing to eventual winners Sarkodie and Wizkid.
After honing their skills through a series of experimental projects, Mykie Toni and rappers Shappa Man (then known as Young Kass) and Taio Tripper co-founded the group in mid-2009. Miss Karun and K'Cous later joined.
- Taio Tripper (born Matthew Wakhungu) - Emcee, rapper, vocalist, lyricist
- Shappa Man (born Benoit Kanema) - Record producer, rapper, songwriter
- Miss Karun (born Karungari Mungai) - Lead vocalist, songwriter
- K'Cous (born Marcus Kibukosya) - Record producer, Emcee, songwriter, rapper
- Mykie Toni (born Michael Mutooni) - CEO, manager
Camp Mulla started distributing their music through websites ReverbNation, SoundCloud and SoundClick for digital download. Their first official song, entitled Low, features J-Smiles and was popular amongst college students. It was introduced by radio presenter Eve D'Souza on Capital FM when it debuted on radio.
Their first single, Low, got them their first airplay on the Kenyan radio scene. Their most successful song so far is their second single, Party Don't Stop, which has received airplay on many Kenyan radio stations, including Kiss 100, 98.4 Capital FM, on which it has reached its Top 9 at 9 playlist, and Homeboyz Radio (91.5), hosted by G Money in the morning. The song peaked at number 2 on Capital FM's Hits Not Homework and number 13 on Homeboyz Radio's HitList.
On 21 September 2011 Camp Mulla had a live interview with Kenyan Kiss 100 host and vocalist DNG, where he asked the group why they do what they do, what their inspiration is, their goals in this music industry and all that motivates their style.
Public appearances and performances
Camp Mulla got their first public appearance on 12 February 2011 at Collo's Valentine's Day concert, where he was to reveal the music video for his new song, Chini ya Maji. At the same time he was to introduce Camp Mulla in public to perform for the first time.
Camp Mulla was the opening act for Nigerian R&B duo P-Square at a live performance at The Carnivore on 26 February 2011. Camp Mulla also opened for Nigerian acts at Naija 9te (or Naija Nite) including Naeto C and Flavour on October 2011. They have also recently made huge appearances at hip hop events, school concerts and award-shows such as the Chaguo La Teeniez Awards.
The group were to perform in the Big Brother Africa 7 opening ceremony alongside J. Cole, Davido, Aemo E'Face, P-Square, Naeto C and Flavour on 6 May 2012, but were not able to due to delays in their travelling documentation. However, they performed on the show's first eviction show on 13 May 2012. Camp Mulla also performed at the Tusker Project Fame season 5 grand finale in 2012.
Majority of Camp Mulla's songs incorporate hip hop and contemporary R&B respectively. However, some of their tracks also indicate their producer K'Cous operates within an Kenyan state of mind, such as with their song Addicted. They call their musical style "2-5-Flow" or "254Low" (pronounced two five flow), which is a pun of Kenya's calling code +254. "254Low" is also said to be the name of their soon to be launched multi-talented fraternity, which will feature young Kenyan upcoming artists believed to be the future of the newly reformed music industry.
VLADIMIR - light academy
- Studio albums
- Why we need bubblegum music - Buzz - Sunday Nation - http://www.nation.co.ke/Features/buzz/Why+we+need+bubblegum+music+/-/441236/1271778/-/e6c4h0/-/index.html - Posted Saturday, November 12, 2011 at 10:58 by Philip Mwaniki.
- "CHAGUO LA TEENIEZ AWARDS 2012 WINNERS". Nairobi, Kenya: KenyanGospel.com. 21 April 2012. Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "Chaguo La Teeniez Awards 2012 - Winners". Nairobi, Kenya: VibeWeekly. 21 April 2012. Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "Here Are The Winners Of The 2012 CHAT Awards (According to Ghafla)". Nairobi, Kenya: Ghafla.co.ke. Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "Best International Act: Africa - BET Awards". BET. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "Camp Mulla Nominated for BET Awards". VibeWeekly.com. 23 May 2012. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "Camp Mulla Nominated For BET Awards. (Full List Of Nominees)". Nairobi W!re. 23 May 2012. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "3 Things Camp Mulla and the Black Eyed Peas Share in Common". Ghafla! News. 9 March 2012. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- WHO IS CAMP MULLA? <<campmulla - http://campmulla.wordpress.com/artists-2/ - Camp Mulla - Wordpress.com
- Camp Mulla - Blue Tooth MCs - StarAfrica.com - http://www.starafrica.com/en/music/news/article/camp-mulla-blue-tooth-mcs-164488.html
- VIDEO: KISS 100 FM INTERVIEW W/ DNG - http://campmulla.wordpress.com/2011/02/11/video-kiss-100-fm-interview-w-dng/
- Camp Mulla performs LIVE at the Carnivore in Nairobi - Uploaded by CampMulla - YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMlO07NKS9k
- "News: Camp Mulla For Launch Show!". Big Brother Africa. 2 May 2012. Retrieved 2 May 2012.
- "Davido,Camp mulla,Aemo E'Face To Open 2012 BigBrother Africa". CelebRegion.com. 1 May 2012. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "Camp Mulla To Premiere The Big Brother Show". CelebRegion.com. 11 April 2012. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "Camp Mulla set to miss the premier of BBA 7". Ghafla! News. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "Camp Mulla Dazzle at BBA7 Live Eviction Show". VibeWeekly.com. 21 May 2012. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- Camp Mulla: Cool Kids on the Edge of A New Frontier? - Open Mic - 29 April 2011 - http://willpress.blogspot.com/2011/04/camp-mulla-cool-kids-on-edge-of-new.html
- Camp Mulla Official Website
- Camp Mulla on Facebook
- Camp Mulla on Twitter
- Camp Mulla on Myspace
- Camp Mulla's channel on YouTube
- Camp Mulla on ReverbNation
- Camp Mulla on SoundCloud
- Camp Mulla on SoundClick
- Camp Mulla on Vimeo
- Camp Mulla on MZIKI