Campaign for a Scottish Olympic Team
Campaign for a Scottish Olympic Team (C-ScOT) is a pressure group in Scotland, established in 2005, which aims to persuade politicians to establish a team to represent Scotland at the Olympic Games.
C-ScOT commissioned a question in the regular omnibus survey by Market Research UK which found that 78% of respondents answered yes to the question "Would you like to see Scotland send its own Olympic Team to London 2012?" Over 1,000 adults, aged 16 or over, were interviewed between 12–18 August 2005.
C-ScOT claims that a Scottish National Olympic Committee could meet all the criteria set down by the Olympic Charter. A number of non-sovereign nations send teams to the Olympics including Puerto Rico, Hong Kong and Palestine. There is also precedent for this in other international sporting competitions, such as the football World Cup, in which Scotland fields its own teams.
However, the Olympic Charter has significant barriers to such a team. Since 1995 the Olympic Charter has not allowed for the recognition of non-sovereign nations - section 31.1 of the Olympic Charter states that to be considered a country a nation must be "an independent State recognised by the international community". The Olympic Charter also requires there to be at least five national sporting federations, recognised by the international federations of an Olympic sport, and currently only the Scottish Football Association and Scottish Rugby meet that criteria.
- Scottish Olympic medallists
- Great Britain at the Olympics
- Glasgow bid for the 2018 Summer Youth Olympics
- British and Irish Lions
- Allan Hubbard, 'The Campaign for a Scottish Olympic Team', in The Independent (London newspaper), 2 October 2005
- Alan Roden, 'SNP's new bid for Scottish Olympic team', in The Daily Mail (London newspaper), 28 March 2011
- Official website
- Motion S2M-3357 in the Scottish Parliament by Michael Matheson MSP, 29 September 2005
- Motion S2M-3381 in the Scottish Parliament by Michael Matheson MSP, 5 October 2005
- theyworkforyou.com - Transcript of Oral Answers to Questions in the Parliament of the United Kingdom by Pete Wishart MP, 18 October 2005
- Minister torches Olympic team bid, BBC Scotland News
- SNP repeats Olympic football call, BBC