Can't Cook, Won't Cook
|Can't Cook, Won't Cook|
Ainsley Harriott on the cover of the first Can't Cook, Won't Cook spin-off cookbook.
|Starring||Ainsley Harriott and others|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||5|
|No. of episodes||685|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Original run||20 November 1995– 7 July 2000|
Two chefs (one of whom could not cook and one of whom would not cook) were nominated by a friend or relative to cook a meal under the instruction of a world class chef. When the dish was cooked, the nominator would be blindfolded and asked to taste the food. Following this, they would decide whose dish was best. In the event of a tie, the aforementioned chef would decide.
Then once the winner has been decided the walls of the studio open up to reveal a prize (usually a food blender or set of saucepans).
Over the years the programme featured several different host chefs, most predominantly Ainsley Harriott. However, other chefs such as Kevin Woodford, Lesley Waters, Richard Cawley, Tony Tobin occasionally took on the role.
Can't Smeg, Won't Smeg
One special episode aired under the name "Can't Smeg, Won't Smeg" as part of the 10th anniversary of the Red Dwarf series; this can be seen on the Series IV DVD. The Red Dwarf cast participated in the show entirely in character. Ainsley Harriott, the host chef for the episode, had previously performed a small role in the Red Dwarf episode Emohawk: Polymorph II. Lister and Kryten face off against Rimmer and Duane Dibbley as the host of Can't Cook, Won't Cook teaches the teams how to cook a curry with Kristine Kochanski as taste test judge. The show was won by Rimmer and Duane. Not surprising considering they stole Ainsley's rice and cucumber yoghurt.
- Craig/Lister eating half a jar of curry paste and drinking from the can of coconut milk before pouring the rest into the curry.
- Chris/Rimmer keeping Ainsley occupied while Danny/Duane swapped their rice with Ainsley's.
- Ainsley realising whilst dishing up that Chris and Danny have also nicked his cucumber and tomato yoghurt.
- Kryten/Robert clearing the workstation with his groinal attachment.
- After Lister stares at Kochanski's butt, he asks why girls always hit people when they can't think of a witty retort. Kochanski responds by hitting him in the face with a pan.
- Ainsley sawing off Robert's groinal attachment with an electric carver.
- Danny entering as Duane through the waste disposal.
- Ainsley's reaction when they show him the ingredients they've brought along (in a section of the show mimicking another cooking program, Ready, Steady, Cook). A dead space weevil, a pot noodle, two bottles of urine recyc wine, an innersole, a Mimian bladder fish, rice pudding made in the bowl Duane uses to get his hair cut with, and Caroline Carmen's ear.
- Craig asking if it's all right to bleed on the food.
- Chloë/Kochanski's face throughout the whole thing (she is ultimately the taste-tester).
- Ainsley nearly burning his rice. (Lister: "Well that's not very professional is it?")
- As the credits roll, everyone discovers how horrible Lister and Kryten's curry is.
- In the 1999 Can't Cook Won't Cook Red Nose Day special, the doors to the studio wouldn't open and Ainsley Harriot had to squeeze through the partly opened door.
- In one episode Kevin Woodford's flambe failed to ignite.
- The studio was set up like a messy kitchen with giant takeaway boxes and messy food in the background of the set.
- The opening titles featured food being burned, poured, splattered and thrown everywhere.