Can You Feel It (The Jacksons song)
|"Can You Feel It"|
|Single by The Jacksons|
|from the album Triumph|
|Released||September 22, 1980|
|Format||12" maxi single
|Genre||R&B, funk, soul|
|Length||5:57 (Album Version)
3:49 (7" Edit)
|The Jacksons singles chronology|
Written by brothers Michael and Jackie, the song featured solo leads by Randy and Michael. Released as a single in 1981, the song reached #77 on the pop charts and number thirty on the R&B charts in United States, but reached number six in the UK and number two in the Netherlands in 1981.
- Written and composed by Michael Jackson and Jackie Jackson
- Produced by The Jacksons
- Lead vocals: Michael & Randy Jackson
- Arrangement by Michael & Jackie Jackson
- String arrangement by Tom Tom 84
- Background vocal coordinator & choir director: Stephanie Spruill
- The Children's Choir: Yolanda Kenerly, Brigette Bush, Audra Tillman, Lita Aubrey, Rhonda Gentry, Roger Kenerly II, Soloman Daniels, Brian Stilwell, Gerry Gruberth, Peter Wade
- The Adults' Choir: Stephanie Spruill, Paulette McWilliams, Bunny Hull, Crolyn Dennis, Venetta Fields, Josie James, Paulette Brown, Carmen Twillie, Lisa Roberts, Phillis St. James, Roger Kenerly-Saint, Ronald Vann, Lewis Price, Gregory Wright, Arnold McCuller, Roy Galloway, Jim Gilstrap, Gerry Garrett, Bob Mack, Tyrell (Rock) Deadrick
The accompanying video, entitled "The Triumph" and directed by Bruce Gowers and Robert Abel, was noted for its remarkable special effects created by Robert Abel and Associates. Michael created the video's concept, and Tito's sons Taj and Taryll appeared as extras. In 2001, it was voted one of the 100 best videos of all time, in a poll to mark the 20th anniversary of MTV. The title was also used for a 2009 greatest hits compilation.
- 1982: A cover version of the song was featured in the closing scene of "Tomorrow's Farewell", an early episode of the NBC musical-drama television series Fame.
- 1998: The single was sampled by Tamperer featuring Maya for their dance hit "Feel It".
- 1998: The song is also sampled in the Teddy Riley produced hip hop track "Feel It" by Charli Baltimore.
- 1999: In 1999 and 2000 the Southern University Marching Band popularized the song among the marching band world.
- 2002: The song is used in the film Drumline, performed by the A&T Marching Band.
- 2005: Swedish artist September used the riff in her single "Satellites".
- 2007: It was interpolated in the song "Carry Feelings" by South Rakkas Crew and T.O.K..
- 2009: The song is one of the songs used in the The Official BBC Children in Need Medley by Peter Kay's Animated All Star Band, sung by Bob the Builder and Postman Pat, with cameo appearances from Ben Tennyson and Fireman Sam.
- (#2 in the Netherlands in 1981) Hit Dossier 1939-1994, 1994, ISBN 90-230-0820-0 / Top 40 Hitdossier 1956-2001, 2001, ISBN 90-257-3349-2.
- "Ultratop.be – The Jacksons – Can You Feel It" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Can you feel it in Irish Chart". IRMA. Retrieved 14 July 2013. Only one result when searching "Can you feel it (re 1)"
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – The Jacksons search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – The Jacksons – Can You Feel It" (in Dutch). Mega Single Top 100.
- John Samson. "Can you feel it in South African Chart". Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Jackson 5". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Triumph awards on Allmusic". Allmusic. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Australian-charts.com – The Jacksons – Can You Feel It". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Can you feel it?," mvdbase.com
- Friday Night Videos premiere of "Can You Feel It"
- "Fatboy Slim's Praise You voted best video". The Guardian. 2001-07-31. Retrieved 2008-07-30.
- "Can You Feel It: Collection [Import]". Amazon.com, Inc. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- William Blinn (writer); Thomas Carter (director) (January 21, 1982). "Tomorrow's Farewell". Fame. Season 1. Episode 3. NBC.
- "The Tamperer Featuring Maya's Feel It sample of The Jacksons's Can You Feel It". WhoSampled.com. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Charli Baltimore's Feel It sample of The Jacksons's Can You Feel It". WhoSampled.com. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "September's Satellites sample of The Jacksons's Can You Feel It". WhoSampled.com. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- Peter Kay's 'Animated All Star Band' Now on Sale!, BBC, November 2009.
"Shoot Your Best Shot" / "It Don't Hurt No More" by Linda Clifford
|Billboard Hot Dance Club Play number-one single (with "Lovely One" and "Walk Right Now")
December 13, 1980
"Celebration" / "Take It to the Top" by Kool & the Gang