|Birth name||Canaan Smith|
August 24, 1982 |
Williamsburg, Virginia, US
Canaan Smith (born August 24, 1982) is an American country music singer-songwriter signed with Mercury Records, a division of UMG Recordings, Inc. His debut single, "We Got Us" was released January 24, 2012. He was also a reality television contestant on The Amazing Race.
In 2014 Smith became engaged to Christy Hardesty.
In 2009, he moved to Nashville, Tennessee aspiring for a musical career and co-wrote the hit "Runaway" by country band Love and Theft that made it to number 10 in the Billboard Hot Country Songs and 65 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 2009.
His debut single, "We Got Us", was released in January 2012 after being made available on iTunes starting December 24, 2011. The song was written by Stephen Barker Liles, Tommy Lee James, and Canaan Smith himself and produced by Brett Beavers and Luke Wooten. It debuted at number 53 on the country music charts. The music video, directed by Brian Lazarro, was broadcast on GAC making it to the "GAC Top 20 Ballot". Country Weekly magazine featured him in "Ones to Watch in 2012", as did Roughstock.
Smith returned to the studio in February 2012 to finish his debut album.
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions|
|US Country||US Country Airplay||CAN|
|2012||"We Got Us"||44||—||—|
|2014||"Love You Like That"||32||50||98|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
|2012||"We Got Us"||Brian Lazzaro|
|2014||"Love You Like That"||Marc Klasfeld|
The Amazing Race
Smith and his girlfriend at the time, Mika Combs, were the sixth team to be eliminated in the 15th season of The Amazing Race.
In 2014 Smith became engaged to his girlfriend Christy Hardesty.http://tasteofcountry.com/canaan-smith-engaged/
- Dukes, Billy (December 12, 2011). "Canaan Smith, 'We Got Us' – Song Review". Taste of Country. Retrieved February 8, 2012.
- Smith, Canaan. "Canaan Smith". Retrieved February 8, 2012.
- "Maniac Exchange "Nashville's Breakout Star- Canaan Smith"". Retrieved February 8, 2012.
- WZTV Fox 17: Artist to Watch - Canaan Smith
- Billboard magazine: Page for "Runaway" by Love and Theft
- Bjorke, Matt. "Single Review: Canaan Smith - We Got Us". Roughstock. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- "Billboard Country Music Charts". Retrieved February 8, 2012.
- "Canaan Smith: News: Universal Music Nashville".
- "Future Releases for Country Radio Stations". All Access Music Group. Archived from the original on 2014-07-19.
- Parks, Tim (October 26, 2009). "Mika Combs, Canaan Smith ('Amazing Race')". Digital Spy. Retrieved February 8, 2012.