Canadian Committee for the Theory of Machines and Mechanisms
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines for companies and organizations. (January 2013)|
English language logo of the CCToMM
|Formation||September 1971 |
|Not for profit|
|English and French|
|M. John D. Hayes|
Canadian Committee for the Theory of Machines and Mechanisms (CCToMM) is the Canadian branch of the International Federation for the Promotion of Mechanism and Machine Science (IFToMM). As the IFToMM, the CCToMM is an organization that supports the exchange of researchers and engineers from a wide range of disciplines related to Mechanical Engineering.
To promote research and development in the field of Machines and Mechanisms by theoretical and experimental methods, along with their practical application.
Since its inception in 1971, CCToMM has grown to become an important part of the fabric of Canadian research in the theory of mechanisms and machine (TMM). CCToMM was founded by M.O.M. Osman, Professor of mechanical engineering at Concordia University in Montreal. The committee was fully formed and operating on time for the ASME DETC 1976, which took place in Montreal. The CCToMM became affiliated to the IFToMM in 1979 and has been a regular member organisation since.
The CCToMM has served the TMM community in both Canadian official languages. For example, presentations at CCToMM symposia are welcome in both the French and English languages.
The succession of CCToMM Presidents is as follows:
- Professor M.O.M. Osman (1971-1992), Concordia University;
- Professor Jorge Angeles (1992-1996), McGill University;
- Professor Louis Cloutier (1996-1999), Université Laval;
- Dr. Jean-Claude Piedboeuf (1999-2003), Canadian Space Agency;
- Professor Ronald Podhorodeski (2003-2011) University of Victoria;
- Professor M. John D. Hayes (since 2011) Carleton University;
Meetings and events
- CCToMM Annual General Meeting - once a year (normally during the CCToMM M³ Symposium) 
- CCToMM Mechanisms, Machines and Mechatronics (CCToMM M³ Symposium) - every year since 1999 
The CCToMM M³ Symposium is a single-track conference covering subjects in the areas of Mechanisms, Machines and Mechatronics, thus its name CCToMM M³. During even-numbered years, the symposium is held within the CSME Congress (formerly known as the CSME Forum) while on odd-numbered years, the symposium is organised as a stand-alone event most often held in Montreal, Quebec.
- M. Ceccarelli, ed. (9 June 2011). Technology Developments: the Role of Mechanism and Machine Science and IFToMM (1st Edition ed.). Springer. pp. 257–264. ISBN 978-94-007-1299-7.
- "IFToMM List of MOs". Retrieved 4 March 2013.
- "Canadian Committee for the Theory of Machines and Mechanisms". Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- "CCToMM By Laws". Retrieved 6 January 2013.