Canadian Oxford Dictionary
The Canadian Oxford Dictionary (abbreviated CanOD) is a dictionary of Canadian English. First published by Oxford University Press Canada in 1998, it became a well-known dictionary reference for Canadian English.
The Canadian Oxford Dictionary second edition contains 300,000 entries, including about 2,200 true Canadianisms. It also provides information on Canadian pronunciation and on Canadian spelling, which has features of both British and American spelling – colour, centre, and travelling, but tire, and aluminum. The second, updated edition of the dictionary was published in 2004.
It is used by most major Canadian newspapers, publishing houses, and the Canadian government. The influential Canadian Press Stylebook follows the Canadian Oxford Dictionary. The dictionary was a publishing success, staying on Canadian bestseller lists for over a year, something quite unusual for a reference book.
Editorial staff and development method
Until September 2008, Oxford maintained a permanent staff of lexicographers in Canada, led by editor Katherine Barber. With its Canadian dictionary division closed, Oxford has since been outsourcing work on Canadian dictionary products to freelance editors.
Other Canadian English dictionaries
- Canwest News Service, "Oxford closes Canadian dictionary division", October 1, 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-01.
- Barber, Katherine, ed. (2004). The Canadian Oxford Dictionary (2nd ed.). Don Mills, Ontario: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-541816-6
Other editions (most of these are based on the first edition or are out-of-print):
- Katherine Barber, editor. The Canadian Oxford Paperback Dictionary (first edition 2000, reissued 2004, second edition 2006) Toronto, Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-542068-3.
- The Canadian Oxford Compact Dictionary (published 2001, reissued 2004)
- The Canadian Oxford High School Dictionary (published 2002, reissued 2004)
- The Canadian Oxford Spelling Dictionary (published 1999, reissued 2004)
- Concise Canadian Oxford Dictionary (published 2005)
- The Canadian Oxford Picture Dictionary
- The Canadian Oxford Picture Dictionary English-French
- My First Canadian Oxford Dictionary
|Look up CanOD in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- "Canadian Oxford Dictionaries". OUPCanada.com. Oxford University Press. 2010.
- "Canadian Oxford Dictionary (2 ed.) Online". OxfordReference.com. Oxford University Press. 2012.