|Traded as||CSIQ (NASDAQ)|
|Industry||Renewable energy, Photovoltaic|
|Founder(s)||Shawn Qu, Chairman and CEO|
|Headquarters||Guelph (Ontario), Canada|
|Number of locations||Canada, Germany, Italy, Spain, South Africa, India, United Arab Emirates, Japan, Korea, Australia, the United States, Singapore, Hong Kong and China|
|Products||Photovoltaic modules, Photovoltaic systems|
|Revenue||$1.9 billion (USD, 2011)|
Founded in 2001 in Ontario, Canada, by Shawn Qu, Canadian Solar is one of the world's largest solar companies. Canadian Solar has been publicly traded on the NASDAQ (CSIQ) since 2006. The company is a vertically integrated provider of ingot, wafer, solar cell, solar module and other solar applications. In 2011 it shipped 1.3 GW of photovoltaic panels and reached a production capacity of over 2.4 GW.
Canadian Solar has offices in Canada, Germany, Italy, Spain, United Arab Emirates (U.A.E), South Africa, Israel, Japan, Korea, Australia, the United States, Singapore, Hong Kong and China.
Canadian Solar production facilities are structured for vertically-integrated manufacturing of ingots, wafers, solar cells, solar PV modules, solar power systems and specialized solar products.
In 2008, Canadian Solar was one of the first module manufacturer to have an onsite ISO/IEC 17025 compliant testing laboratory. The Canadian Solar Photovoltaic Testing Lab was established to ensure compliance with international safety and reliability testing standards for solar panels.
The bulk of Canadian Solar's manufacturing facilities are located in China. In 2011, Canadian Solar also began manufacturing in a plant in Ontario, Canada. The Ontario plant with a production capacity of over 200 MW per year employs several hundred workers and its products are compliant with Ontario's feed-in tariff domestic content provisions.
Environmental and quality management certifications
- ISO 9001, quality management system
- QC 080000, hazardous substance process management
- ISO 14001, environment management system
- ISO/TS 16949, automotive standard for PV quality control
- OHSAS 18001, occupational health and safety
- PV CYCLE, full member
Below are some of Canadian Solar's worldwide project reference:
- 70 MW - Solarpark Meuro, Meuro, Germany. (Activated in August 2011)
- 78 MW - Senftenberg Solarpark Senftenberg, Germany. (Activated in September 2011)
- 70 MW - Rovigo Photovoltaic Power Plant, Rovigo, Italy. (Activated November 2010)
- 15 MW - Conwall, UK. 3 systems of 5 MW each. (September 2011)
- 8 MW - Villeneuve de Marsan, France. (April 2012)
- 4.1 MW - Balakli, Bulgaria. (June 2012)
- 5 MW - Pennsylvania, USA. (October 2012)
Canadian Solar offers solar modules, solar power systems and specialized solar products.
Canadian Solar's standard modules are powered by 125 x 125mm (5 inch) or 156 x 156mm (6 inch) high efficiency mono-crystalline or poly-crystalline solar cells. The ELPS CS6P-MM module, uses Canadian Solar's ELPS mono cells and metal wrap through (MWT) design to allow for more light absorption per cell. ELPS modules deliver 10% more electricity than conventional solar modules. Their mono ELPS solar cell efficiency is 21.1%, placing it among the highest P-type mono-crystalline cell efficiencies in the industry.
Performance and reliability
Canadian Solar modules have achieved the maximum ratings in tests for ammonia (NH3) resistance of solar modules and have also passed IEC 61701 salt mist resistance testing and are highly PID resistant.
Canadian Solar modules rank highly under PVUSA test conditions (PTC).
Warranty and insurance
Canadian Solar was one of the first companies in the industry to offer enhanced product and performance warranty backed by an immediately available and non-cancellable insurance policy.
In 2011, Canadian Solar introduced a linear performance guarantee for PV module power output over a 25-year period. Under this policy, Canadian Solar expanded its product warranty covering workmanship and material defects up to 10 years.
- Canadian Solar - About Us.
- "First Solar and Suntech led 2011’s module manufacturer rankings, says Lux Research report". pv-tech.org. 2012. Retrieved June 15, 2012.
- "PV Module Supplier Rankings". 2012. Retrieved April 2012.
- Solar firm making return to its Canadian roots
- Canadian Solar chooses Ontario city of Guelph as site for new 200MW PV module facility
- Canadian Solar Achieves OHSAS 18001 Certification, Demonstrates Strong Commitment to the Health and Safety of the Company's Employees .
- "Our Full Members | PV CYCLE". pvcycle.org. 2013. Retrieved January 8, 2013.
- Solar Insurers Turn Kingmakers Over Panel Survival Doubts