Canal do Otário
|Canal do Otário|
Canal do Otário's main character: 'Otário Anonymous'
|Debut||3 February 2012|
Canal do Otário (or Sucker's Channel) is a Brazilian YouTube channel and website, created on Feb 3, 2012 by an anonymous user, whose host is a popular internet figure in Brazil, going by the name of “Anonymous Sucker” (Otário Anonymous in Portuguese). Otário investigates false advertising and rants about it on YouTube with a paper bag over his head.
In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, Otário said he cherishes his anonymity to protect his ability to speak freely and to allow viewers of all demographics to relate to him. In addition to the paper bag on his head, he wears a suit and white gloves to cover his race and age. His speech is distorted into a high-pitch, Mickey Mouse-like voice.
In one popular video, he warns Brazilian consumers about what he says are hidden fees when they invest in a Bradesco S/A mutual fund. "This is what they're doing", he says in the video, imitating an armed robber, firing a warning shot with his fingers and shoving a wad of cash into his pocket. Bradesco said the video was offensive and won a case against Google Inc. on 2012 to remove it from its YouTube platform. Google hasn't yet removed the video and has appealed the case to a federal court in São Paulo.
The video with criticisms about Brazilian Post and Telegraph Corporation (also known as Correios) was banned in Brazilian YouTube through a court order (though still remain available on YouTube in other countries). The video compares rates in Brazil with other countries and criticizes the state monopoly in the postage sector. By Correios' request, the Brazilian court ordered Google Inc to delete the parts of the video that show the company's logo, which claimed "improper use of trademark". The decision was taken in November 2013, however, it was only effectively fulfilled in June 2014, coincidentally after the start of the Brazilian Civil Rights Framework for the Internet. The state-owned company said it will also request the removal of the video on Vimeo, as was done in Google.
- 2012 - Info Exame Magazine - Brazil, Editora Abril - “Perfil Geek of the Year”
- 2013 - YouTube, The Silver Play Button
- 2013 - Shorty Awards, Vox Populi Winner in Activism
- 2014 - Shorty Awards, Finalist in Activism
- "Canal do Otário's website is reference at Jornal Nacional from Rede Globo, related to abusive food prices in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil" (in Portuguese). Jornal Nacional. Published Jan 31, 2014. Retrieved Feb 8, 2014.
- "Canal do Otário (About) on Youtube". YouTube. Retrieved Feb 4, 2014.
- "Canal do Otário warns customers on Youtube about misleading advertisements" (in Portuguese). UOL Tecnologia. Published Feb 7, 2014. Retrieved Feb 8, 2014.
- "Otário is becaming popular by making protests on internet against misleading advertisement" (in Portuguese). Época BombouNaWeb edition 746. Published Sep 1, 2012. Retrieved Feb 3, 2014.
- "Brazilians on Social Media at Fore of Free-Speech Battle". The Wall Street Journal. Published Oct 9, 2013. Retrieved Feb 8, 2014.
- "Canal do Otário shows abusive prices of Brazilian products" (in Portuguese). TecMundo. Ago 28, 2012. Retrieved Feb 4, 2014.
- "Canal do Otário is reference at Record News with the host Herodoto Barbeiro" (in Portuguese). Record News. Published Jan 20, 2014. Retrieved Feb 8, 2014.
- Siqueira, D. C. O.(2013). "Comunication and Organizations. _ 21, p. 31." (in Spanish). Revista Científica de la Asociación Latinoamericana de Carreras Univercitarias de Relaciones Públicas (ALACAURP). Oct. (2013). Retrieved Feb 14, 2014.
- "Social media users debating freedom of expression in Brazil" (in Portuguese). The Wall Street Journal (Brazil). Published Oct 10, 2013. Retrieved Feb 4, 2014.
- "Bradesco Mutual Fund (Canal do Otário's Video)" (in Portuguese). Canal do Otário. Retrieved Feb 3, 2014.
- Andrade, A. P. (2012). "10 Mantras of Social Media Marketing" (in Portuguese). DP6. Published Nov 28, 2012. Retrieved Feb 14, 2014.
- "Correios or Curreios (Canal do Otário's Video)" (in Portuguese). Canal do Otário. Retrieved Jul 11, 2014.
- "Court Order" (in Portuguese). Tribunal Regional Federal da 3ª Região. Published Nov 25, 2013. Retrieved Jul 11, 2014.
- "Video with criticisms about Correios was banned on YouTube by court order" (in Portuguese). Estadao. Published Jul 1, 2014. Retrieved Jul 11, 2014.
- "Info 2012 Award Winners: Perfil Geek of the Year" (in Portuguese). Editora Abril. Retrieved Feb 4, 2014.
- "Congratulations on surpassing 100,000 subscribers!". YouTube. Published Sep 9, 2013. Retrieved Feb 8, 2014.
- "Canal do Otário is the Vox Populi Winner at 5th Annual Shorty Awards". Shorty Awards. Retrieved Feb 4, 2014.
- "Announcing the 6th Annual Shorty Awards finalists!". Shorty Awards. Published Feb 24, 2014. Retrieved Feb 24, 2014.
- "Justin Bieber, Lena Dunham, Jimmy Fallon Among Shorty Awards Finalists (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Published Feb 24, 2014. Retrieved Feb 25, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to CanalDoOtario.|