Canarsie High School
|Canarsie High School|
|1600 Rockaway Parkway
Brooklyn, New York
|School district||New York City Geographic District #18|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Team name||The Chiefs|
In 2007, it was announced Canarsie would close because it "was in such disarray that the only way to fix it would be to shut it down, replacing it with several smaller schools on the same campus."
84.51% Black or African American, 11.47% Hispanic or Latino, 2.07% White non-Hispanic, 1.66% Asian and 0.28% Native American. The student/teacher ratio is 22.0. The school is part of School District #18.
- Mark "Prince Markie Dee" Morales, rapper (The Fat Boys and solo), producer, songwriter,radio personality, actor
- "Karl Kani", fashion designer
- "DJ Riz", notable radio & club DJ. Co-founder of "Crooklyn Clan"
- Arlie Petters, mathematical physicist
- Warren Cuccurullo, pop and rock guitarist
- World B. Free, NBA basketball player
- Geoff Huston-NBA player
- Dan Morogiello, major league baseball player
- John "Spider" Salley, NBA basketball player and talk show host
- Howard Schultz, current Chairman and CEO of Starbucks Corporation.
- Curtis Sliwa, Guardian Angels founder and radio talk show host
- Stuart Sternberg, owner of the Tampa Bay Rays
- Leon Williams NFL player
- Lance Schulters NFL player
- "Learning Environment Survey Report 2007-2008" (PDF). New York City Department of Education. "Enrollment: 2544"
- At Carnasie High, Now Marked for Closing, Loyalty Prevails
- Diana Esposito. "Canarsie Once Home To Several Who Attained Fame & Fortune". Canarsie Courier. Retrieved October 27, 2008.
- Paul Gutierrez (May 8, 1999). "World B. Free, Nba Gunner". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved October 27, 2008.
- "Canarsie (Brooklyn,NY) Baseball". The Baseball Cube. Retrieved February 14, 2011.
- He bosses a band of angels
- Louis Hau; Scott Barancik; Marc Topkin (January 30, 2004). "Rays buyer: financial whiz who loves baseball". St. Petersburg Times. Retrieved October 27, 2008.
|This Brooklyn school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|