Canary Wharf DLR station
Station viewed from the south
Location of Canary Wharf in Greater London
|Local authority||London Borough of Tower Hamlets|
|Managed by||Docklands Light Railway|
|Number of platforms||6 (facing 3 tracks)|
|OSI||Canary Wharf LU |
|DLR annual boardings and alightings|
|Lists of stations|
|London Transport portalCoordinates:|
Canary Wharf DLR station is a Docklands Light Railway (DLR) station in London, England. Built into the base of One Canada Square, between two parts of a shopping centre, it serves the Canary Wharf office complex. The station itself has six platforms serving three rail tracks and is sheltered by a distinctive elliptical glass roof.
The station is located on the DLR between Heron Quays station and West India Quay station, in Travelcard Zone 2, which are in fact the three closest railway stations on the same line in the world. The station is shown on the Tube map as being within walking distance of Canary Wharf tube station; however, Heron Quays DLR station is indicated as closer by around 50 metres.
Canary Wharf station had been part of the original DLR plans, but when the system opened in August 1987 the station was not ready. It was originally planned that the station would be similar to the original station at Heron Quays, with two small platforms either side of the tracks. It soon became apparent that the Canary Wharf development would produce demand well above the capacity of a simple station. On 17 July 1987 (over a month before the DLR opened to the public) a contract was awarded to GEC-Mowlem Railway Group to rebuild the station into the considerably more elaborate and spacious design that exists today. It was opened in November 1991.
Rail service and frequency
Canary Wharf is served by two lines of the DLR — Bank to Lewisham and Stratford to Lewisham. Service to Bank comes at 3.5 minute intervals from 6.30am to 10.00am; four minute intervals from 4.30pm to 7.30pm; seven minutes intervals from 7.30pm to 9pm; and ten minute intervals from 5.30am to 6.30am, 10am to 4pm, and 9pm to 12.30am. There are also occasional services between Tower Gateway and Lewisham or Crossharbour.
- "Step free Tube Guide" (PDF). Transport for London. Archived from the original on 26 January 2014.
- "Out of Station Interchanges" (Microsoft Excel). Transport for London. May 2010. Archived from the original on 2012-03-12.
- "Boarders and Alighters by station 2007 8 2008 9 (DLR)" (XLS). Docklands Light Railway annual passenger performance 2007-2008 and 2008-2009. Transport for London. 20 May 2010. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- "DLR Station Data for 1st April 2010 - 31st April 2011" (PDF). Docklands Light Railway annual passenger performance 2010-2011. Transport for London. 28 March 2012. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- Canary Wharf - Transport for London TfL official site Retrieved 2007-09-03
- Tube map TfL official site Retrieved 2007-09-03
- DLR history timeline TfL official site Retrieved 2007-09-03
- DLR frequencies TfL official site Retrieved 2007-09-04
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Canary Wharf DLR station.|
|Preceding station||DLR||Following station|
|Docklands Light Railway||
|Out of system interchange|
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|
Transfer at: Canary Wharf