|Most recent season:
2012–13 Australian Baseball League season
|League||Australian Baseball League|
|City||Canberra, Australian Capital Territory|
|Asia Series Championships||1 (2013)|
|ABL Championships||1 (2012–13)|
|Finals appearances||1 (2012–13)|
|General Manager||Thom Carter.|
2013-14 Anthony Cangelosi2011-12: Thom Carter
2010-11: Megan Salic
The Canberra Cavalry is a professional baseball team in the Australian Baseball League. The team is ABL Champion for 2012-13, holding the Claxton Shield, having won the Championship Series in Canberra over 8/9 February 2013. In November 2013, the Cavalry won the 2013 Asia Series resoundingly (14-4), becoming the first non- Japanese or Korean side to do so.
For 2012-13, former Cavalry player, Michael Collins was the coach.
The current sponsor featured on the team uniforms is Rolfe Renault.
- 1 Seasons
- 2 Current Roster
- 3 Mascot
- 4 Community work
- 5 References
- 6 External links
- 6th place (of 6); 12-24 record, winning 11-9 at home but 1-15 away.
- 6th of 6: W 20, L 25
- Top of the stats by Christmas, then pulled away with significant wins against Perth Heat in away then home rounds in early January 2013.
- Minor Premiership winners.
- Premiership winners (Claxton Shield).
2013 Championship Series
- Champions: Canberra Cavalry
- MVP of Finals Series: Aaron Sloan
- Venue: Narrabundah Ballpark, Canberra
- Report: Strike Zone
Score: Canberra Cavalry wins 7-6. Takes Championship and Claxton Shield.
2013 Asia Series - Champions
- Cavalry won its first game against the CPBL Rhinos (2-0).
- NPB Golden Eagles won the second game (6-3).
- Cavalry won the third game against the KBO Lions (9-5).
- Cavalry advanced to the final, and played the U-Pres Lions, winning 14-4, to be Asia Series champions.
- The Cavalry was the 'home' side, on a coin toss. After being 2-0 up in the first inning, the Lions replied to be 4-2 up. The Cavalry replied in the fourth inning to be 4-3 down. In the seventh inning, Cavalry scored 5 runs, to be up 8-4. In the eighth inning, Jack Murphy scored a homer with loaded bases to make the score 14-4. The Cavalry's Toler pitched out the Lions to end the game.
Canberra Cavalry roster - 2013–14 ABL
|Active roster||Coaching staff|
|Correct as of 21 November 2013 version of ABL website.|
Canberra Cavalry roster - 2012–13 ABL
|Active roster||Inactive roster||Coaching staff|
Left Handed Pitchers
|Correct as of 9 December 2012.|
The Canberra Cavalry team mascot is a Yosemite Sam-type character named 'Sarge', with an Australian slouch hat, Cavalry-orange shirt, Auscam pants and brown Army boots. The team song, played after winning games, is "I Wanna Be in the Cavalry" by Corb Lund.
In the 2012-13 season, the degree of community work and outreach was markedly up on previous seasons, with game-day shirts for sale to assist community organisations for most days of home seasons. This began with Legacy Australia that supports family members of service people, and included the Canberra Hospital Trust, the Heart Foundation, and The Global Poverty Walk's Matt Napier.
- team story, 3 January 2012, accessed 7 January 2012
- Meet the Cavalry, Barry Barnes, 28 September 2010, accessed 25 January 2011
- Canberra Cavalry win ABL championship, Sydney Morning Herald, 9 February 2013, 11:12PM
- Canberra Cavalry wins Asia Series, David Polkinghorne, Canberra Times, 21 November 2013
- The countdown is ON! Only 3 days to go!, 2 November 2010, ABLbuzz.com, accessed 25 January 2011
- Fraser, Tom (8 September 2010). "Former Philadelphia Phillies Pitcher to Serve as Canberra Cavalry Head Coach". Canberra Cavalry. Retrieved 8 September 2010.
- A case of the Blues for Canberra in ABL, Joe O'Sullivan, 24 January 2011, The Roar, accessed 25 January 2011
- Strike Zone, ABC Grandstand Sport, 15 February 2013, accessed 17 February 2013
Media related to Canberra Cavalry at Wikimedia Commons