||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2009)|
Kita at Viva Glam Launch at W Hotel in Hollywood, CA
|Born||Los Angeles County, California, United States|
Candace Kita (born December 1980 in Los Angeles) real name Candace Bender, is a Japanese-American actress and former fashion model, who has appeared in roles in TV shows such as Complete Savages, Two and a Half Men, According to Jim, and Ugly Betty.
Kita's first television appearance was in Fox's Masked Rider, from 1995 to 1996. She appeared as a series regular lead in all 40 episodes. Kita also portrayed a frantic stewardess in a music video directed by Mark Pellington for the British group, Catherine Wheel, titled, "Waydown" in 1995. Kita's character in it was spoofed by MTV's Beavis and Butthead in the episode "Womyn". In 1996, Kita also appeared in the film Barb Wire (1996) and guest starred on The Wayans Bros.. She also guest starred in Miriam Teitelbaum: Homicide with Saturday Night Live alumni Nora Dunn, Wall To Wall Records with Jordan Bridges, Stealing Time, Even Stevens, Felicity with Keri Russell, V.I.P. with Pamela Anderson, Girlfriends, The Sweet Spot with Bill Murray, and Movies at Our House. She also had recurring roles on the FX spoof, Son of the Beach from 2001 to 2002, ABC-Family's Dance Fever and Oxygen Network's Running with Scissors. Kita also appeared in the films Little Heroes (2002) and Rennie's Landing (2001).
During this time, Kita guest starred on Method and Red and Quintuplets in 2004 and Two and a Half Men in 2005. She is most known for her breakthrough series recurring role as Mel Gibson's girlfriend in ABC-TV's Complete Savages from 2004 to 2005. Mel Gibson was executive producer and would cameo as Officer Steve Cox. Whenever he appeared, Kita would appear as Misty, his girlfriend doomed to die a horrible death at the end of every episode like Kenny in South Park, a comparison made by series director Mel Gibson during an appearance on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. These deaths included death by hot tub, death by eating too much turkey on Thanksgiving and death on a motorcycle without a helmet. She held the title of Miss Hawaiian Tropic Japan in 2004. She also appeared in Bad News Bears (2005) with Billy Bob Thornton and Greg Kinnear.
In 2005 to 2007, Kita continued work on Complete Savages. She also appeared in the independent films, Faith Happens (2006) and Falling (2008). In 2006, she was in the pilot for the television series Smith, with Ray Liotta and played a prison inmate in Pepper Dennis with Rebecca Romijn. Kita also shot a pilot with Tim Stack called The Probe (2006). In 2007, she appeared in an episode of Ugly Betty with Vanessa Williams. And she appeared with Adam Sandler and Kevin James in I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry. In 2008, Kita guest starred opposite James Belushi in According to Jim and played herself on an episode of The Jace Hall Show. She currently has two films in development, Something in the Night and Last Stop, and is a guest star in the 100th episode and series finale of Nip/Tuck.
Candace had a weekly radio program, Hottie Help with Candace Kita, which brought together models, actresses, celebrities, authors and threat management specialists to discuss safety issues pertaining to women. Among the topics are car safety, travel, campus safety, identity theft, internet safety, dating, and safety at home and in the workplace. Hottie Help was broadcast on LA Talk Radio every Sunday between 2-3 pm (PST). Guests included Nicole Pulliam, Lisa Gleave, Alana Curry, Katie Lohmann, and Genevieve Chappell.
Credited as Candace Camille for her earliest appearance, on the cover of "No, No, No, Cha Cha Cha," the 1993 release by Brave Combo. Kita was represented for 5 years by the prestigious modeling agency, Wilhelmina, in Los Angeles before focusing on acting. She appeared in campaigns and walked the catwalk for clients such as Diesel, XOXO, Chinese Laundry, West Cigarettes, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Marshall Field's, and Brighton among others before focusing on acting.
She appeared in over a dozen national commercials including: Hyundai, MSN, IBM, Bacardi and Cola, and Coca-Cola. She starred in a commercial for Harvard Medical HMO that was featured on America's Funniest Commercials. Kita was also an official spokesperson in several voice over and commercial spots for the Food Network, HGTV and DIY Network.
Kita is the author of The Hottie Handbook: A Girl’s Guide to Safety. This book is a safety primer for women of all ages. Topics include: travel safety, dorm room safety, campus safety, dating, work place safety, among others. (www.hottiehandbook.com)
Kita is a contributing writer to Asiance Magazine (www.asiancemagazine.com), a lifestyle magazine for today’s Asian woman. And she is currently the beauty editor for the Celebrity Style section of Viva Glam Magazine (www.vivaglammagazine.com).
Charitable work and activism
Candace publicly supports a variety of causes and is a women's safety advocate. She has campaigned to make the anti-stalking laws in the state of California more stringent.
Kita is lobbying to create an anti-harassment law in the state of California. She is also the founder of Hotties With a Heart Foundation. This is an organization of models and actresses who donate their time to charitable events. Events have included: The Salvation Army's Shopping Spree at Sears, Read Across America, Toys for Tots, The Frank Jordan Mission, The Burbank Animal Shelter, The Los Angeles Mission, Animal Avengers, In Defense of Animals, Urban Tails, Canine for Cuties, and the USO.
At the Bob Hope USO at LAX, the Hotties with a Heart models took pictures and signed autographs for hundreds of outgoing troops on March 23, 2009. Kita said, "Someone called me the Ann-Margaret of today's generation for supporting the troops. I wear that title proudly."
I've always gotten the greatest joy doing things for other people. I guess this is just a part of my personality. I was always the kid at Christmas not opening my presents because I was more concerned with other people having a good time. Hotties with a Heart has given me an outlet to do something in an organized manner.—Candace Kita
- Dead Sea (2013) ... Eve
- Naughty or Nice (2012) ... News Anchor
- Coffin (2010) ... Camille
- Do Me a Solid (2010) .... Samantha
- Something in the Night (2010) ... Kayla
- Natale a Beverly Hills (2009) ... Gioia
- Faith Happens (2009) .... Lisa
- Falling (2008) .... Julie
- I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry (2007) .... Hooters Girl
- Bad News Bears (2005) .... China
- Pax Importi Modellus: The Rise of the Import Model (2004) .... CeCe
- Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers (2004) .... Host
- Little Heroes 3 (2002) .... Chlorine
- Stealing Time (2001) .... Social Services Receptionist
- Barb Wire (1996) .... Dancer
- Raising Hope.... Mrs. Hoo (2013)
- Revenge.... Rosemary Cabot (2011)
- Wonder Woman.... Reporter (2011)
- Better with You.... Dr. Rettig (2011)
- Jailbait.... Officer Earnshaw (2011)
- House M.D. .... Sarah (2011)
- Nip/Tuck.... Kei (2010)
- The Jace Hall Show.... (2008)
- According to Jim .... (2008)
- Ugly Betty .... (2007)
- The Probe .... News Reporter (2006)
- Smith .... Stewardess (2006)
- Pepper Dennis .... Squeaky (2006)
- Two and a Half Men .... Coco (2005)
- Complete Savages .... Misty (2004–2005)
- Quintuplets .... Alison (2004)
- Running with Scissors .... Sketch Comedian (2004)
- Method & Red .... Sami Kim (2004)
- Girlfriends .... Waitress (2003)
- Beck and Call ... Zoe's Assistant (2003)
- Big Happy .... Aiko (2003)
- Phil of the Future .... Miss Lee (2003)
- Movies At Our House .... Candace (2003)
- Dance Fever .... Sketch Comedian (2003)
- Son of the Beach .... Asian Female News Reporter (2001–2002)
- The Sweet Spot .... Manicurist (2002)
- V.I.P. .... Holo-reporter (2002)
- Felicity .... Contestant #1 (2001)
- Even Stevens .... Reporter (2001)
- Wall to Wall Records .... Secretary (2000)
- Miriam Teitelbaum: Homicide (2000)
- Masked Rider .... Barbara Stewart (1995–1996)
- The Wayans Bros. .... April (1996)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Candace Kita.|