The term may also be applied to the practice of undressing or otherwise exposing a female partner to others, or urging or forcing her to engage in sexual relations with a third person, such as during a Swinging activity. There have also been reports of a woman's partner urging or forcing her into prostitution or pornography, such as in the case of Karen Lancaume and others. Similarly, the term may also be applied to the posting of personal images of a female partner on the Internet or urging or forcing her to wear clothing which reveals her physical attractiveness to others, such as by wearing very brief clothing, such as a microskirt, tight-fitting or see-through clothing or a low-cut top.
History of the term
According to Gugitz, the term is derived from ancient King Candaules who made a plot to show his unaware naked wife to his servant Gyges of Lydia. After discovering Gyges while he was watching her naked, Candaules' wife ordered him to choose between killing himself and killing her husband in order to repair the vicious mischief.
Psychology of candaulism
Historical instances of candaulism
The case of Sir Richard Worsley, Bt, against George Bissett for "criminal conversation", that is adultery with Lady Worsley, revealed an incident in which Sir Richard had assisted Bissett to spy on Lady Worsley taking a bath.
The notorious American FBI agent caught spying for the Soviet Union (later, Russia), Robert Hanssen, took explicit photographs of his wife and sent them to a friend. Later Hanssen invited his friend to clandestinely observe him having sex with his wife during his occasional visits to the Hanssen household. Initially, his friend watched through a window from outside the house. Later, Hanssen appropriated video equipment from the FBI to set up closed-circuit television to allow his friend to watch from his guest bedroom. Hanssen also posted sexually explicit stories to the Internet crafted to allow readers who knew the Hanssens to identify them, also without his wife's knowledge.
Candaulism in films
- Gilda (1946, by Charles Vidor), with Rita Hayworth and Glenn Ford. In a carnival party, Gilda gives her lover a bill asking him "why are you Cuckolding me ?" .
- Odd Obsession (1959, by Kon Ichikawa)
- Jules et Jim (1962, by François Truffaut) with Jeanne Moreau, Oskar Werner and Henri Serre
- Knife in the Water (Nóż w wodzie) (1962, by Roman Polanski) with Leon Niemczyk, Jolanta Umecka, Zygmunt Malanowicz.
- Irma la Douce (1963, by Billy Wilder), with Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine, Lou Jacobi.
- Belle de Jour (1967, by Luis Buñuel), with Catherine Deneuve, Jean Sorel and Michel Piccoli.
- The Graduate (1967, by Mike Nichols), with Dustin Hoffman, Anne Bancroft, Katharine Ross
- Il merlo maschio (1970, by Pasquale Festa Campanile), with Laura Antonelli and Lando Buzzanca
- La Dernière femme (1976, by Marco Ferreri), with Gérard Depardieu, Ornella Muti, Michel Piccoli.
- The Tin Drum (1979, by Volker Schlöndorff), with Mario Adorf, Angela Winkler, David Bennent, Daniel Olbrychski, Katharina Thalbach.
- American Gigolo (1980, by Paul Schrader) with Richard Gere.
- La Pelle (1981, by Liliana Cavani), with Claudia Cardinale, Marcello Mastroianni, Burt Lancaster, Ken Marshall, Alexandra King, Carlo Giuffrè
- Querelle (1982, by Reiner Werner Fassbinder) with Brad Davis and Jeanne Moreau.
- Maria's Lovers (1984, by Andrei Konchalovsky) with Nastassja Kinski, John Savage and Keith Carradine
- 9½ Weeks (1986, by Adrian Lyne) with Mickey Rourke, Kim Basinger, David Margulies.
- I miei primi quarant'anni (1987, by Carlo Vanzina), with Carol Alt, Elliott Gould and Jean Rochefort.
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988, by Robert Zemeckis), Bob Hoskins & cartoons.
- Wild Orchid (1990, by Zalman King) with Jacqueline Bisset, Carré Otis, Mickey Rourke.
- Henry & June (1990, by Philip Kaufman), with Fred Ward, Uma Thurman, Maria de Medeiros.
- The Bonfire of the Vanities (1990, by Brian De Palma) with Tom Hanks, Bruce Willis, Melanie Griffith, Kim Cattrall.
- Bitter Moon (Lunes de fiel) (1992, by Roman Polanski), with Hugh Grant, Kristin Scott Thomas, Emmanuelle Seigner, Peter Coyote.
- La Reine Margot (1994, by Patrice Chéreau, with Isabelle Adjani, Daniel Auteuil, Virna Lisi, Miguel Bosé
- The Specialist (1994, by Luis Llosa) with Sharon Stone, Sylvester Stallone, James Woods and Rod Steiger.
- Une femme française (1995, by Régis Wargnier), with Emmanuelle Béart and Daniel Auteuil.
- The English Patient (1996, by Anthony Minghella), with Ralph Fiennes, Kristin Scott Thomas and Colin Firth; Katherine reads aloud the account of Candaules and Gyges from Herodotus's Histories.
- Eyes Wide Shut, (1999 by Stanley Kubrick, based on Dream Story, a book by Arthur Schnitzler). With Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman.
- How much do you love me?, (Combien tu m'aimes?) (2005, by Bertrand Blier) with Monica Bellucci, Bernard Campan and Gérard Depardieu
- Memoirs of a Geisha (2005, by Rob Marshall) with Zhang Ziyi, and Ken Watanabe.
- Amateur pornography
- Droit du seigneur
- Indecent exposure
- List of public outdoor clothes free places
- Open marriage
- Public nudity
- Sexually liberal feminism
- Gide, Le roi Candaules
- Hebbel, Gyges und sein Ring
- Herodotus, Histories, Book 1.8
- Richard von Krafft-Ebing in his book: Psychopathia sexualis. Eine klinisch-forensische Studie (Stuttgart: Enke 1886).
- Ernest Borneman, Lexicon der Liebe (Hannibal, 1984)
- Rubenhold, Hallie (2008). Lady Worsley's Whim. London: Vintage Books. ISBN 978-0-7011-7980-9.
- Wise 2003, pp. 252–253
Adrian Havill. "Robert Philip Hanssen: The Spy who Stayed out in The Cold". Court TV (now TruTV). Retrieved 6 February 2007.
"Hanssen: Deep Inner Conflicts". Texas A&M Research Foundation. Retrieved 4 Nov 2010.
- American Psychiatric Society, "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Text Revision IV" (DSM-IV-TR).
- Barbara Foster, Michael Foster, Letha Hadady. Three in Love: Ménages à trois from Ancient to Modern Times. ISBN 0-595-00807-0
- Geoffrey Chaucer, Canterbury Tales, (the Miller's Tale is a story that humorously examines the life of a cuckold).
- A Book by French Queen Maguerite de Valois
- Robertson Davies, Fifth Business
- Wise, David (2003), Spy: The Inside Story of How the FBI's Robert Hanssen Betrayed America, Random House Publishers, ISBN 0-375-75894-1