Candis Cayne at the sixth annual Style Awards in Beverly Hills, California (10 October 2009)
1971 (age 42–43)
|Occupation||Actress, performance artist|
Candis Cayne is an American actress and performance artist.
Known in the New York City nightclub scene since the 1990s, Cayne came to national attention in 2007 for portraying transgender mistress Carmelita on ABC's prime time drama Dirty Sexy Money. The role makes Cayne the first transgender actress to play a recurring transgender character in prime time.
Cayne, known as Brendan McDaniel prior to her transition, and fraternal twin brother Dylan were born in 1971 in Maui where their parents taught at a Waldorf school, and the family lived on campus. She graduated from Maui's Baldwin High School in 1989 and then spent a year in Los Angeles, where she trained as a dancer.
Career and transition
Cayne moved to New York in the early 1990s, making a name for herself as a choreographer and drag performer. Unaware of what a transsexual was until she lived in New York, about three years after her arrival Cayne realized that the term described how she felt about herself. Already performing as "Candis Cayne" at New York gay bar Boy Bar and as a featured performer at Tour in New York's Chelsea, the entertainer also participated in Wigstock, the annual drag festival in the East Village. In 1995 Cayne appeared in the related documentary film Wigstock: The Movie, the comedy-drama film Stonewall, and the Universal Studios comedy film To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar, for which she also did choreography. Cayne began transitioning in 1996. That same year she had a supporting role in the comedy-drama film Always Something Better (a.k.a. Never Look Back). In 1997 Cayne co-starred in the music video for RuPaul's "A Little Bit of Love" with female impersonator Jazzmun. Cayne also starred as the title character in the 1998 independent film Mob Queen, and won the 2001 Miss Continental pageant. In 2007 Cayne was cast as Annaka Manners in the 2007 RuPaul film Starrbooty.
From 2007 to 2008 Cayne played Carmelita Rainer, a trans woman having an affair with married New York Attorney General Patrick Darling (played by William Baldwin), on the ABC prime time drama Dirty Sexy Money. She had a recurring role as the transgender character Alexis Stone in season six of Nip/Tuck. Cayne has appeared as a judge and Dean of Dance on RuPaul's Drag U. As a dance teacher, she taught contestants original choreography to "No Scrubs" by TLC and Kelis's song "Milkshake (song)". In 2011, she guest-starred on the TV show Necessary Roughness as Geraldine.
Activism and personal life
Cayne has stated, "I'm not trying to be a spokeswoman for the transgender community; I just want to be looked at as a living, breathing, happy human being." She calls the LGBT community "the last great minority" and supports the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.
As of March 2009, Cayne lives in Los Angeles. She was engaged to a disc jockey named Marco McDermott. However, they ended their seven year relationship in late March 2010. As of early 2012 she is dating Alex Grimmer, from Maryland.
|1995||Wigstock: The Movie||Herself||Credited as Brendan McDanniel|
|1995||To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar||Candis Cayne||Credited as Brendan McDanniel|
|1996||Always Something Better||Billee|
|1998||Mob Queen||Glorice Kalsheim|
|1999||In the Closet|
|2006||My Heart Belongs to Data||Candis||Short film|
|2008||Libanesa Loira||Libanesa||Portuguese language|
|2011||Making The Boys||Herself|
|2012||Groom's Cake||Candis||Short film|
|2007||CSI: NY||Quentin Conrad||Episode "The Lying Game"|
|2008||Sordid Lives: The Series'||Therapist #19||Episode "An Audacious Affair"|
|2007-2008||Dirty Sexy Money||Carmelita Rainer||11 episodes|
|2009||Nip/Tuck||Alexis Stone||2 episodes|
|2010||Drop Dead Diva||Allison Webb||Episode "Queen of Mean"|
|2011||Necessary Roughness||Geraldine||Episode "Dream On"|
|2012||She's Living for This||Herself||Episode "The Candis Cayne Episode"|
|2013||Elementary||Ms Hudson||Episode "Snow Angels"|
|1997||"A Little Bit of Love"||RuPaul||Dancer|
|1999||"No Scrubs"||TLC||Dance teacher|
- Eva Wiseman, Candis Payne: This California girl is the first transsexual to star in a prime-time soap, The Guardian, March 9, 2008. Retrieved February 1, 2010.
- Piepenburg, Eric (November 6, 2004). "Keep Your Eye on the Road (If You Can)". The New York Times.
- Brownworth, Victoria A. (October 18, 2007). "October Surprises". Bay Area Reporter. Retrieved October 20, 2007.
- "I Advocate ...". The Advocate (Issue #1024). March 2009. p. 80.
- "Transsexual beauty makes TV history". Metro.co.uk. March 13, 2008. Retrieved February 20, 2009.
- "Sultry Blond On ABC Show Is Hawaii Transgender". KITV.com. November 15, 2007. Retrieved January 15, 2009.
- Venus, Michael (2002). Michael Venus Profiles: Candis Cayne. YouTube
- "Always Something Better (1996)". imdb.com. Retrieved June 17, 2012.
- "Miss Continental 2001". TheBatonShowLounge.com. Retrieved February 20, 2009.
- "Miss Continental Pageant Throughout the Years". Vickirene.net. Retrieved February 20, 2009.
- Alexis Stone in Nip/Tuck, season six
- Official website
- Candis Cayne at the Internet Movie Database
- http://www.advocate.com/exclusive_detail_ektid67242.asp (11/26/08)
- http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid66732.asp (11/21/08)
- http://www.advocate.com/exclusive_detail_ektid47896.asp (8/8/07)
- http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid14900.asp (8/31/01)
- Candis Cayne profile - QueenMother.tv
- Candis Cayne hosts NewNowNext Awards for LOGO