Candy (Aggro Santos song)
|Single by Aggro Santos featuring Kimberly Wyatt|
|from the album AggroSantos.com|
|Released||May 3, 2010
(see release history)
|Format||Digital download, CD single|
|Genre||Dance-pop, electropop, R&B, grime|
|Writer(s)||Aggro Santos, Josef Larossi, Andreas Romdhane, Viktoria Hansen|
|Producer(s)||Quiz & LaRossi|
|Aggro Santos singles chronology|
"Candy" is the debut single by Brazilian-born British-based rapper Aggro Santos. The song was produced by Quiz & LaRossi and co-written by Aggro Santos, Josef Larossi, Andreas Romdhane, Viktoria Hansen, while also featuring former Pussycat Doll, Kimberly Wyatt. It was released in 2010 as the lead single from Santos' debut studio album AggroSantos.com.
The song has been critically appreciated, with reviewers complimenting its chorus and synthpop beats associated with it. The song peaked at number five on the UK Singles Chart, and number fourteen in the Republic of Ireland. The music video of the song portrayed Santos and Wyatt having a UV waterfight in a club.
Background and composition
In an interview Wyatt was asked how she collaborated with Aggro Santos. She explained: "I was working in a studio here in London with [producers] Red Rhythm, and they told me about Aggro and his underground following, so I did some research on him and his music and really dug his vibe, and just thought, 'Why not?' I met with Aggro for a writing session and we got along really well. Then a few days later he played me 'Candy' and I thought it sounded like a smash, so when he asked if I'd lay down some vocals for it, of course I said yes."
"Candy" is written by Aggro Santos, Josef Larossi, Andreas Romdhane, Viktoria Hansen. It has elements of David Guetta-esque beats with synth noises. The songs chorus refer to online branding. When Santos was asked what "Candy" means he said, "It means (sings) come and get you some, come and get you some! 'Candy is metaphoric for something that I will not say in this interview!" Amy Dawson from Metro noted that Santos and Wyatt exchange a "romantic repartee".
Robert Copsey from Digital Spy gave the song 4 out of five stars stating: "Santos provides many a dodgy lyric ("Girl you look familiar / Where do I know you from? / Have you been to visit me at Aggro Santos dot com?"), but all is forgiven when the track reaches its Kimbo-crooned hook, which provides a satisfying blast of electro fuzz over the throbbing, David Guetta-esque beats." Fraser McAlpine from BBC said that he liked "[...] the funny wobbly synth noises and the grunting in the chorus - is the online branding. 'Aggro Santos dot com' gets a namecheck, as does Facebook, which is the kind of product placement Lady Gaga does in her videos. It's also something we should all get behind if we want the cash-strapped music biz to continue into the century without disappearing in a puff of binary dust. Jon O'Brien from Allmusic praised "Candy" describing it as "gloriously infectious Lady Gaga-esque [song]".
In the United Kingdom, the song debuted at number five on the UK Singles Chart on 9 May 2010 ― for the week ending dated 15 May 2010. It remained at that peak for two consecutive weeks. "Candy" was certified silver by the British Phonographic Industry (BPI) for shipment of 200,000 copies of the single. In Ireland, the song debuted at number forty-four on the Irish Singles Chart on the date of May 6, 2010 and then peaked fourteen in the sixth week on the chart. On 6 February 2011, the song re-entered at number eighty one on the UK Singles Chart. This marks Wyatt as the second Pussycat Doll, after Nicole Scherzinger, to chart in Britain as a solo artist.
The video for the song was directed by Emil Nava and was debuted on 21 September 2010 on VidZone where only PlayStation 3 users could watch in certain territories. The full video release was on the next day when Aggro Santos posted the video on his official YouTube account. The music video was shot on under the London Bridge station where the main plot of the video centered around a UV water fight. About the video the director [Emil Nava] said:
"Having a UV watertight is something I have been thinking about for a while. [...] I have always loved UV and wanted to try something different with it. We shot in a freezing location under the arches in London Bridge. A lot of the extras were fans so were there for free and luckily all were really up for it. It was a pleasure to direct a Pussycat Doll as she was a real pro. Aggro brought his own flavor to it as well, which I feel works really well with her style. All the crew killed it and worked extra hard. I hope you like."
- "Candy" (Radio Edit) - 3:00
- "Candy" (Crazy Cousin Remix) - 4:05
- "Candy" (Tweakz Remix) - 3:50
Candy (Ladies Re-Rub)
- "Candy" (Ladies Re-Rub) - 3:02
|Australia||May 2, 2010||Digital download||Mercury Records|
|Germany||June 11, 2010||Mercury Records|
|Brazil||June 24, 2010||Universal Music|
- Copsey, Robert (2010-05-11). "Interview - Aggro Santos & Kimberly Wyatt". Digital Spy (Hachette Filipacchi Médias). Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- McAlpine, Fraser (2010-05-04). "Aggro Santos ft. Kimberley Wyatt - 'Candy' (Single Review)". BBC Chart Blog (BBC). Retrieved 2010-10-18.
- Copsey, Robert (2010-05-03). "Singles Review > Aggro Santos ft. Kimberly Wyatt: 'Candy'". Digital Spy (Hachette Filipacchi Médias). Retrieved 2010-05-03.
- Bunzl, Marina (2010-05-30). "Interview with Aggro Santos". X-Media Online. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- Dawson, Amy (2011-01-31). "I'm A Celebrity's Aggro Santos serves up a slice of South London rap". Metro (Associated Newspapers Limited). Retrieved 2011-01-31.
- O'Brien, Jon (2010-07-28). "Aggro Santos.com - Aggro Santos". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2011-01-31.
- Millar, Paul (2010-05-16). "Roll Deep beat Jason Derulo to No. 1". Digital Spy (Hachette Filipacchi Médias). Retrieved 2010-11-21.
- "BPI > Certified Awards Search". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 2010-11-21.
- "Ireland Singles Top 50". Irish Recorded Music Association. acharts.us. 2010-06-10. Retrieved 2010-11-17.
- "MC Aggro’s Candy (feat. Kimberly Wyatt) by Emil Nava". Promonews.tv. 2010-04-13. Retrieved 2011-02-01.
- Creasey, Ben (2010-04-01). "SVidZone Exclusive: AGGRO SANTOS – Brazilian Born Pussy Cat Candy". PlayStation.Blog.Europe. Retrieved 2010-04-13.
- "Music Video - Aggro Santos ft. Kimberly Wyatt: 'Candy'". Digital Spy (Hachette Filipacchi Médias). Retrieved 2010-05-05.
- "Music > Hip-Hop/Rap > Aggro Santos featuring Kimberly Wyatt". iTunes. Retrieved 2010-05-03.
- "Aggro Santos - Candy MP3 Downloads - 7digital". uk.7digital.com. Retrieved 2011-01-23.
- "European Hot 100 Week of May 22, 2010". Billboard (Nielsen Business Media, Inc.). Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart.
- "EHR top 40". Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- ZPAV Top5 Poland Airplay 12.06. - 18.06.2010
- "Archive Chart". Scottish Singles Top 40.
- "Aggro Santos Ft Kimberly Wyatt" UK Singles Chart.
- "Archive Chart" UK Download Chart.
- iTunes (2011-01-24). "Like U Like - EP by Aggro Santos & Kimberley Walsh". iTunes Store. Retrieved 2011-01-24.
- iTunes (2011-01-24). "Candy (Radio Edit) feat. Kimberly Wyatt - Single". iTunes Store. Retrieved 2011-01-24.
- "Kimberley Walsh / Aggro Santos - Like U Like MP3 Downloads - 7digital". Ie.7digital.com. 2011-01-16. Retrieved 2011-01-24.
- iTunes (2011-01-24). "Candy (feat. Kimberly Wyatt) - EP". iTunes Store. Retrieved 2011-01-24.
- "Candy (feat. Kimberly Wyatt) - EP". iTunes Store. 2011-01-24. Retrieved 2011-01-24.
- "Aggro Santos/Candy - Músicas - Terra Sonora". Sonora (Terra Networks). 2010-06-24. Retrieved 2011-01-31.