Cannabis Culture (magazine)
Marc and Jodie Emery, publisher and editor
Cannabis Culture is a Canadian magazine and online magazine devoted to cannabis and the worldwide cannabis culture. Cannabis Culture publishes stories about the struggle to legalize marijuana, profiles of marijuana paraphernalia, articles on how to grow marijuana, interviews with prominent marijuana users, and coverage of cannabis cultural events like the Nimbin MardiGrass festival and the High Times Cannabis Cup.
The magazine was founded in the spring of 1995 by Marc Emery, a prominent Canadian marijuana legalization activist who is the president of the BC Marijuana Party and well known as the "Prince of Pot". Cannabis Culture Magazine evolved from a publication called "The Marijuana & Hemp Newsletter" launched by Emery in 1994. For the first three years the magazine was named Cannabis Canada, but changed its name to Cannabis Culture with issue number 13, released in July 1998.
The editor of the magazine for the first ten years was Dana Larsen, who left the magazine in April 2005, after issue 54. The magazine thrived under Larsen with the help of the magazine's two regular writers, Pete Brady and Reverend Damuzi. Cannabis Culture is now edited by Jeremiah Vandermeer and published by Jodie Emery.
The print version of Cannabis Culture was printed in Canada and had a distribution of close to 100,000 copies across North America.
In 2000, Cannabis Culture was pulled off store shelves in Timmins, Ontario, Canada. Local police told retailers that it was illegal because it was a "crime comic." Publisher Marc Emery flew to Timmins and gave away copies in front of the police station, and ultimately the police apologized.
In March 2009, Cannabis Culture ceased publication of its print version to devote its resources to its online version, an active website originally launched in March 1995.
On May 10, 2010, Emery was ordered to surrender to authorities and deported to the United States from his arrest. His wife, Jodie Emery, now runs Cannabis Culture.
- "Marijuana & Hemp Magazine". Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "From Cannabis Canada to Cannabis Culture". 1998-07-01. Retrieved 2008-01-17.
- "The Constant of Change". Retrieved 2008-01-17.
- "Advertise with Cannabis Culture".
- "Illegal marijuana magazines found for sale in Timmins", The Daily Press, September 29, 2000
- "Illegal Marijuana Magazine To Be Sold In Front Of Police Station", The Daily Press, October 17, 2000
- "Pot Protestor Blows Smoke at Police", The Daily Press, October 23, 2000
- "Cannabis Culture defeats Censorship Cops". Retrieved 2007-07-23.
- "Cannabis Culture Magazine Banned in New Zealand?". Retrieved 2007-07-23.
- Official website
- Official Olympia Hempfest Website
- PotTV Network
- High Points in Recent Pot Culture History - slideshow by The Los Angeles Times