Canning II (community development block)
|Community development block|
|District||South 24 Parganas|
|Assembly constituency||Canning Paschim, Canning Purba|
|• Total||85.71 sq mi (222.00 km2)|
|• Density||2,290/sq mi (883/km2)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5.30)|
|Literacy Rate||52.36 per cent|
Canning II (community development block) (Bengali: ক্যানিং II সমষ্টি উন্নয়ন ব্লক) is an administrative division in Canning subdivision of South 24 Parganas district in the Indian state of West Bengal. Canning police station serves this block. Headquarters of this block is at Canning Town.
Narayanpur, a constituent panchayat of Canning II block, is located at.
As per 2001 census, Canning II block had a total population of 195,967, out of which 100,172 were males and 95,795 were females. Canning II block registered a population growth of 29.24 per cent during the 1991-2001 decade. Decadal growth for South 24 Parganas district was 20.89 per cent.Decadal growth in West Bengal was 17.84 per cent.
As per 2001 census, Canning II block had a total literacy of 52.36 per cent for the 6+ age group. While male literacy was 63.68 per cent female literacy was 40.36 per cent. South 24 Parganas district had a total literacy of 69.45 per cent, male literacy being 79.19 per cent and female literacy being 59.01 per cent.
Certain areas of South 24 Parganas district has been identified where ground water is affected by arsenic contamination.High levels of arsenic in ground water were found in twelve blocks of the district. Water samples collected from tubewells in the affected places contained arsenic above the normal level (10 microgram a litre as specified by the World Health Organisation). The affected blocks are Baruipur, Bhangar I, Bhangar II, Bishnupur I, Bishnupur II, Basanti, Budge Budge, Canning I, Canning II, Sonarpur, Mograhat II and Joynagar.
- "Contact details of Block Development Officers". South 24 Parganas district. West Bengal Government. Retrieved 2011-09-24.
- "Provisional population totals, West Bengal, Table 4, South Twentyfour Parganas District (18)". Census of India 2001. Census Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-09-24.
- "No. 229 (Sanction)-PN/P/II/1G-5/2005(Pt.II) dated 02.02.09". Annexure A of 322 (Sanction)-RD/CCA/BRGF/IC-02/08; Date: 27.03.2009 – Statement of Release of Development Grant under BRGF. Government of West Bengal - Department of Panchayats & Rural Development. Retrieved 2011-09-24.
- "Provisional Population Totals, West Bengal. Table 4". Census of India 2001. Census Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-09-23.
- "TRU for all Districts (SC & ST and Total)". Census 2001. Census Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-09-24.
- "Provisional population totals, West Bengal, Table 5, South Twentyfour Parganas District". Census of India 2001. Census Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-09-24.
- "Groundwater Arsenic contamination in West Bengal-India (19 years study )". Groundwater arsenic contamination status of North 24-Parganas district, one of the nine arsenic affected districts of West Bengal-India. SOES. Retrieved 2011-09-28.
- "High arsenic levels in South". The Statesman, 24 June 2007. Archived from the original on 2007-09-29. Retrieved 2011-09-28.