|How I Met Your Mother episode|
|Episode no.||Season 6
|Directed by||Pamela Fryman|
|Written by||Chuck Tatham|
|Original air date||November 1, 2010|
Ted is overjoyed that his class adores him, though it's mainly because he sucks up to them such as by giving out candy for Halloween. Zoey Pierson, who was last seen egging Ted's apartment after he betrayed her, sits in at Ted's class and turns his students against him. She reveals how Ted is having the Arcadian torn down so he can design a new building, and the whole class eventually skips class to attend a protest with her. Ted takes Lily's advice to not appear so gentle, and threatens to have the entire class fail if they keep skipping.
Marshall is bothered by an inept employee named Randy at work; Barney urges Marshall to fire Randy, but Marshall doesn't wish to be so cruel like GNB is thought to be (Marshall's boss Arthur had another employee fired simply because he wore the same colored tie as he). Eventually, Randy annoys him so much that Marshall reluctantly does fire him. Marshall feels incredibly guilty and convinces Arthur to have Randy rehired and urges him to be more benevolent. Randy, however, is in fact thrilled he was fired, as he plans to use his severance to start up his own beer brewery. Randy doesn't take Marshall's "good" news about being rehired well, and promptly begins intentionally destroying Marshall's office to have him fired, as quitting his job would not net him the severance. Marshall resists the urge to fire him despite the mess Randy is creating; eventually, with Marshall's entire office in disarray, Randy gives in and apologizes. He offers Marshall a bottle of his homemade beer to make amends; noting how good it tastes, Marshall fires Randy, leaving both men pleased. Future Ted states Randy does in fact start his own brewing company, brewing a beer called Wharmpess, which in the future becomes a success.
Robin continues to be annoyed by her new co-anchor, Becky. She is even more bothered when Becky appears in a commercial, which Robin thinks is unprofessional for a journalist. The morning after Halloween festivities, the gang catches Robin coming back from last night's parties, assuming she had a one-night stand. Lily believes she had slept with Randy, due to Randy appearing to have a slight interest in her. Robin claims this to be the truth, though eventually she reveals she had given in and starred in a commercial to appear popular; the commercial is for adult diapers, much to everyone's amusement. Robin says the commercial may not even air, though Future Ted states it ran for seven years.
In his blog, Barney puts up a casting notice for corporate commercial.
- Barney is drinking Glenfiddich 12 at the GNB Halloween Party.
- Barney plays on the name of Florence Nightingale upon seeing Robin's nurse costume.
- Lily calls Robin "Sherbatson", which is a reference to Sherlock Holmes' assistant Watson. Lily also uses the famous "Elementary" line, popularly associated with the detective.
- Ted mentions the band The Pixies.
- Ted also references the time when most media recording devices had a "B-side".
- Barney could be seen wearing a costume of a member of the Cobra Kai Dojo from The Karate Kid, Johnny Lawrence. Barney mentions being a fan of him in "The Stinsons".
- Lily cuts off the head of the stuffed horse of one of her students, a reference to "The Godfather".
Reviews for this episode were mostly negative.
Hitfix's Alan Sepinwall said, "Canning Randy was one of the weakest episodes we've had in season six."
DeAnn Welker of Television Without Pity graded the episode at D, stating that it was no different from the "very choppy days of last season," citing a lack of direction about GNB's ad campaign and how things don't work when supporting characters hog the airtime at the expense of main characters such as Barney.
Chris O'Hara of TVFanatic.com gave the episode a rating of 3 out of 5.
- Stinson, Barney (2010-11-01). "Calling all hotties". Retrieved 2010-12-04.
- Alan Sepinwall (2010-11-02). "'How I Met Your Mother' - 'Canning Randy': We've got another bleeder". HitFix.
- DeAnn Welker (2010-11-03). "How I Met Your Mother: Incompetence and Incontinence". Television Without Pity. NBC Universal.
- Michaelangelo Matos (2010-11-01). "How I Met Your Mother "Caning Randy"". The A.V. Club. The Onion. Retrieved 2010-12-04.
- Robert Canning (2010-11-02). "How I Met Your Mother: "Canning Randy" Review". IGN. News Corporation. Retrieved 2010-12-04.
- Chris O'Hara (2010-11-02). "How I Met Your Mother Review: "Canning Randy"". TV Fanatic. Retrieved 2010-12-04.
- Fictional advertisement for Wharmpess Beer
- "Canning Randy" at the Internet Movie Database
- "Canning Randy" at TV.com