|District||South 24 Parganas|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|ISO 3166 code||ISO 3166-2:IN|
Canning subdivision is a subdivision of the South 24 Parganas district in the state of West Bengal, India. It consists of four community development blocks: Basanti, Canning–I, Canning–II and Gosaba. The four blocks contain 46 gram panchayats. The subdivision has its headquarters at Canning.
Rural area under Basanti block consists of 13 gram panchayats, viz. Amjhara, Chunakhali, Kanthalberia, Uttar Mokamberia, Basanti, Foolmalancha, Maszidbati, Bharatgarh, Jharkhali, Nafarganj, Charabidya, Jyotishpur and Ramchandrakhali. Basanti police station serves this block. Headquarters of this block is in Sonakhali.
Rural area under Canning–I block consists of ten gram panchayats, viz. Bansra, Gopalpur, Matla–I, Taldi, Daria, Hatpukuria, Matla–II, Dighirpar, Itkhola and Nikarighata. Canning police station serves this block. Headquarters of this block is in Canning Town.
Rural area under Canning–II block consists of nine gram panchayats, viz. Atharobanki, Kalikatala, Sarengabad, Deuli–I, Matherdighi, Tambuldaha–I, Deuli–II, Narayanpur and Tambuldaha–II. Canning police station serves this block. Headquarters of this block is in Canning Town.
Rural area under Gosaba block consists of 14 gram panchayats, viz. Amtali, Chhota Mollakhali, Lahiripur, Rangabelia, Bali–I, Gosaba, Pathankhali, Satjelia, Bali–II, Kachukhali, Radhanagar–Taranagar, Shambhunagar, Bipradaspur and Kumirmari. Gosaba police station serves this block. Headquarters of this block is in Gosaba.
As per order of the Delimitation Commission in respect of the delimitation of constituencies in West Bengal, the Gosaba block and two gram panchayats under the Basanti block, viz. Chunakhali and Maszidbati, will together form the Gosaba assembly constituency. All the other gram panchayats under the Basanti block, along with Atharobanki gram panchayat under the Canning–II block will together form the Basanti assembly constituency. The area under the Canning–I block and the Narayanpur gram panchayat under the Canning–II block will together form the Canning Paschim assembly constituency. All the other seven gram panchayats under the Canning–II block will be part of the area covered by the Canning Purba assembly constituency. The constituencies of Gosaba, Basanti and Canning Paschim will be reserved for Scheduled castes (SC) candidates. All the four constituencies will be assembly segments of the Jaynagar (Lok Sabha constituency), which will be reserved for SC candidates.
- "Directory of District, Sub division, Panchayat Samiti/ Block and Gram Panchayats in West Bengal, March 2008". West Bengal. National Informatics Centre, India. 2008-03-19. Retrieved 2008-12-24.
- "District Wise List of Statutory Towns( Municipal Corporation,Municipality,Notified Area and Cantonment Board) , Census Towns and Outgrowths, West Bengal, 2001". Census of India, Directorate of Census Operations, West Bengal. Retrieved 2008-12-24.
- "List of Districts/C.D.Blocks/ Police Stations with Code No., Number of G.Ps and Number of Mouzas". Census of India, Directorate of Census Operations, West Bengal. Retrieved 2008-12-24.
- "Contact details of Block Development Officers". South 24 Parganas district. Panchayats and Rural Development Department, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 2008-12-27.
- "Press Note, Delimitation Commission" (PDF). Assembly Constituencies in West Bengal. Delimitation Commission. pp. 12–13, 24. Retrieved 2009-01-14.