Canon EOS 7D
|Type||Digital single-lens reflex camera|
|Sensor||22.3 × 14.9 mm CMOS|
|Maximum resolution||5,184 × 3,456 (17.9 recorded megapixels)|
|Lens||Interchangeable (EF, EF-S)|
|Shutter speed range||30 to 1/8000 s|
|Exposure metering||TTL, full aperture, 63 zones|
|Exposure modes||Full auto, programmed, shutter priority, aperture priority, manual|
|Metering modes||Evaluative, Partial, Spot, C/Wgt Average|
|Focus areas||19 cross-type AF points|
|Focus modes||One-shot, AI Servo, AI-Focus, Manual|
|Continuous shooting||up to 8.0 frame/s.|
|Viewfinder||Optical pentaprism with 1.0x magnification and 100% coverage and electronic (Live View)|
|ASA/ISO range||100–6400 (expansion up to 12,800)|
|Rear LCD monitor||3.0 inches (76 mm), 640×480 (921,600 dots)|
|Storage||CompactFlash (CF) (Type I or Type II)|
|Battery||Li-Ion LP-E6 Rechargeable (1800mAh)|
|Weight||820 g (body only)|
|Optional battery packs||BG-E7 grip allows use of 6 AA cells, a single LP-E6 or two LP-E6 batteries|
The Canon EOS 7D is a semi-professional cropped sensor digital single-lens reflex camera made by Canon. It was announced on 1 September 2009 with a suggested retail price of US$1,699. Among its features are an 18.0 effective megapixel CMOS sensor, HD video recording, its 8.0 frames per second continuous shooting, new viewfinder which offers 1.0X magnification and 100% coverage, 19 point auto-focus system, movie mode, and built-in Speedlite transmitter.
- 18.0 effective megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
- Dual DIGIC 4 image processors with 14-bit processing
- Liveview mode
- 100% viewfinder frame coverage with 1.0× magnification
- 1080p HD video recording at 24p, 25p and 30p with drop frame timing
- 720p HD video recording at 50p (50 Hz) and 60p (59.94 Hz)
- 480p ED video recording at 50p (50 Hz) and 60p (59.94 Hz)
- 8.0 frames per second continuous shooting
- ISO sensitivity 100–6400 (expandable to 12,800)
- 3.0-inch Clear View II LCD screen with 640 × 480 (921,600 dots) resolution
- 19 point auto-focus system, all cross-type. Center point is high precision, double cross-type at f/2.8 or faster
- 63 zone color sensitive metering system
- built-in Speedlite transmitter
- Magnesium alloy body
- Popup flash
- Weather sealing (light resistance to water and dust)
Autofocus and metering
The 7D has 19 autofocus points arranged in a horizontal diamond pattern. The AF system is a new design which uses a translucent LCD display in the viewfinder. The camera uses TTL 63 zone color sensitive metering system with four variations (evaluative, center-weighted, partial, spot) and exposure compensation of −3 EV to +3 EV in steps of 1/3 EV.E-TTL II flash metering is provided. The translucent LCD can also display guide lines and the spot metering area circle. As with most other video-capable DSLRs, the Canon EOS 7D’s autofocusing function does not work while recording video. Instead, users can only trigger a contrast-detect AF cycle before recording process by hitting the AF button on the camera's rear panel. Users can manually focus the lens during a recording.
The shutter is rated to 150,000 shots, and is capable of speeds up to 1/8000 sec, with a flash sync speed of 1/250 sec.
The 7D has roughly the same dimension as the older 5D Mark II with an updated button layout. It also features a 100% viewfinder with 1x magnification.
The 7D was the first Canon camera with a dedicated movie mode switch, instead of movie recording being done in live view as with the 5D Mark II and 500D.
The 7D has dual Digic IV processors and can reach 8 frames per second continuous shooting. When the camera was first released, the buffer throughput allowed up to 94 frames in large fine JPEG mode, and up to 15 frames in RAW. Firmware upgrades, most recently in August 2012 (see immediately below), have increased the maximum buffer size to 130 large fine JPEGs and 25 RAW files.
- Improved maximum burst for RAW images (up to 25)
- In-camera RAW image editing
- In-camera Image Rating
- In-camera JPEG resizing
- Maximum Auto ISO setting (ISO 400-6400)
- Manual audio level adjustment in movie recording
- Support for the Canon GP-E2 GPS unit
- File name customisation
- Time zone settings
- Faster scrolling of magnified images
- Quick control screen during playback
On 12 September 2012, Canon introduced the v2.0.3 firmware update with the following changes:
- Fix for a phenomenon in which the camera stops working when the auto power off setting takes effect
- Fix a phenomenon in which the maximum number of images that can be captured in a burst may be less than the actual number displayed in the viewfinder
- Corrections for some errors in the message displayed when saving RAW images developed in the camera
According to Canon's website, the EOS 7D model comes equipped with:
- EOS 7D Digital SLR Body
- Eyecup Eg
- Camera Cover R-F-3
- Wide Strap EW-EOS7D
- Battery Charger LC-E6
- Battery Pack LP-E6
- Stereo AV Cable AV-DC400ST
- Interface Cable IFC-200U
The Canon EOS 7D offers the ability to record audio from an external source. Both shutter and aperture are available for manual control, and the 7D also provides multiple frame rate options, including three that match the HD television timing specs. Like most DSLR modes, the Canon 7D neglects endless autofocus during video recording, which is a great concern for advanced amateurs with pros likely to focus manually nonetheless. Separate movie clips that are captured by the Canon EOS 7D are limited to twelve minutes in the high definition 1080p and 720p modes, or 24 minutes in the standard definition VGA mode, depending on what Compact Flash Card is being used. Larger memory cards make for longer video lengths and are available in multiple sizes for the camera.
The Canon 7D has acquired significance in the independent filmmaking world as an affordable alternative to digital cinema cameras. The camera was used on the feature films Stanley Ka Dabba., and Vazhakku Enn 18/9
List of productions using the Canon EOS 7D
- Tiny Furniture
- Much Ado About Nothing
- The Avengers
- Sound of My Voice
- Black Swan
- Vazhakku Enn 18/9
- Stanley Ka Dabba
- Aftershock
- End of Watch
- Act of Valor
- 127 Hours
- Not a Love Story
- Chaappa Kurish
- Like Crazy
- World of the Dead: The Zombie Diaries
- Saturday Night Live portions of the opening title sequence of the 2009 season
- Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations
- The Borgias
- Numb3rs towards the end of the series.
- "Canon EOS 7D Camera - Full Review". Imaging-resource.com. Retrieved 2012-05-18.
- "EOS 7D product page at canon.com". Usa.canon.com. 25 May 2006. Retrieved 30 December 2010.
- "Canon introduces the EOS 7D..." (Press release). Canon UK. 1 September 2009. Retrieved 4 December 2009.
- EOS 7D Manual. Canon USA. 4 September 2009. Retrieved 10 November 2009.
- "Canon EOS 7D Camera Video - Full Review". Imaging-resource.com. Retrieved 2012-05-18.
- "Canon USA Drivers and Software"
- "Canon significantly improves EOS 7D with firmware v2"
- "EOS 7D". Canon.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-01-08.
- PIXMA MP530. "EOS 7D - Canon Canada Inc". Canon.ca. Retrieved 2012-05-18.
- "Canon EOS 550D, 7D and Legria HF M31 win EISA Awards". Ephotozine.com. 16 August 2010. Retrieved 30 December 2010.
- "Technical Image Press Association – Award Details". TIPA. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- Dutta, Nandita. "You can be adventurous and experimental with DSLR: Stanley ka Dabba Cinematographer". Archived from the original on 27 May 2011. Retrieved 27 May 2011.
- "NEW ATTEMPT IN VAZHAKKU ENN 18/9". Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- Friedman, Keri (June 3, 2013). "FILM & VIDEO: Jay Hunter". lensbaby.com. Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- "Canon EOS 5D Mark II and EOS 7D Digital SLR Cameras of Choice for Stunts and Action Work on Set of "Marvel's The Avengers"". Retrieved 11 May 2012.
- Weintraub, Steve. "Director Zal Batmanglij Talks SOUND OF MY VOICE, THE EAST, His Writing Process, Favorite Movies, More". collider.com. Retrieved December 23, 2013.
- "Momentum: Black Swan shot on Super 16mm, ARRI, Canon 7D & 1D mark IV". December 2010. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- "Zooming in". The Hindu (Chennai, India). Retrieved 28 April 2012.
- Oliver Lyttelton (26 October 2011). "Drake Doremus Says He Shot 'Like Crazy' For $250,000 On A $1,500 Still Camera". IndieWire. Retrieved 13 November 2011.
- "QUIET EARTH: Exclusive set visit - WORLD OF THE DEAD: The Zombie Diaries 2".
- "NBC's Saturday Night Live Shoots Opening Title Sequence In Full 1080p HD Video with Canon's EOS Digital SLR Cameras". 11 November 2009. Retrieved 13 August 2011.
- "Anthony Bourdain's Travel Channel blog, July 3, 2010".
- "Interview with the dSLR professionals behind the "Wilfred" TV show". Eugenia.queru.com. 2011-10-11. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Canon EOS 7D.|
|Canon EOS Digital Camera timeline (comparison)|
Specialty models: C - Cinema EOS
Naming of entry-level models: Rebel - Americas | Kiss - Japan
See also: Canon EOS Film SLR cameras