Canon EF-S 18–55mm lens
The Canon EF-S 18–55mm lens f/3.5–5.6 is a Canon-produced wide-angle to mid telephoto zoom lens for digital single-lens reflex cameras with an EF-S lens mount. The field of view has a 35 mm equivalent focal length of 28.8–88mm, and it is a standard kit lens on Canon's consumer APS-C DSLRs.
There have been eight iterations of this lens, five of which are discontinued and three of which are currently in production.
- I USM (discontinued)
- I (discontinued)
- II USM (discontinued)
- II (discontinued)
- IS (discontinued)
- IS II (current)
- III (current)
- IS STM (current)
- 1 EF-S 18–55mm USM I/II / EF-S 18–55mm I/II
- 2 EF-S 18–55mm IS I/II
- 3 EF-S 18–55mm IS STM
- 4 Specifications
- 5 References
- 6 External links
EF-S 18–55mm USM I/II / EF-S 18–55mm I/II
The lens body has a plastic construction, including the lens mount. Generally, however, this version of the lens is soft and must be stopped down to gain acceptable sharpness. Barrel distortion becomes quite noticeable at the wide-angle setting and chromatic aberration (purple fringing) is common.
EF-S 18–55mm IS I/II
On 7 February 2011, the 18–55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS II was announced to be bundled with the Canon 600D and 1100D. This lens is identical in specification to the previous version, and features exactly the same optics, but has a revised external design and a slightly different IS algorithm that attempts to recognize when the camera is being panned, effectively disabling IS in that direction.
EF-S 18–55mm IS STM
On 21 March 2013, the 18–55mm f/3.5–5.6 IS STM was announced alongside the Canon 700D/Rebel T5i and 100D/Rebel SL1. It has a different optical formula from that of any previous Canon 18–55mm lens, and includes Canon's STM (stepping motor) technology, claimed by the company to offer quieter continuous autofocus while shooting video when attached to bodies that have Canon's hybrid autofocus sensor technology. The STM is also the first 18–55mm version with an internal focusing design. At introduction, it was offered as a kit lens on both the 700D and 100D; it has since become one of two alternative kit lenses for the 70D.
|Attribute||USM||I||II USM||II||IS||IS II||III||IS STM|
|Image stabilizer||No||Yes (4 stops)||No||Yes (4 stops)|
|Short back focus||Yes|
|Improvements||identical to the Mk I USM but without an ultrasonic motor||similar optics to the Mk I, but with changes to the shape of the zoom ring and the tapered area at the front of the lens||Identical to the Mk II USM but without an ultrasonic motor||Adding image stabilization and addressing general image quality problems of the Mk I and II||Identical to the IS I but with a revised external design||Similar to the IS II but without image stabilization||Featuring a revised optical design and utilizing stepper motor technology|
|Weight||190 g||200 g||205 g|
|Max. Diameter x Length||68.5 mm x 66 mm||68.5 mm x 70 mm||69.0 mm x 75.2 mm|
|Filter diameter||58 mm|
|Horizontal viewing angle||64°30'–23°20'|
|Vertical viewing angle||45°30'–15°40'|
|Diagonal viewing angle;||74°20'–27°50'|
|# of diaphragm blades||6||7|
|Closest focusing distance||0.28 m||0.25 m|
|Lens hood||EW-60C (circular)||EW-63C (petal)|
|Release date||September 2003||February 2005||August 2007||February 2011||April 2013|
|MSRP $||$239.99||Kit only||$239.99||Kit only||$199.99||$249.99|
|Currently in production?||No||Yes|
- "Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II – Test Report / Review". photozone. Retrieved 27 February 2008.
- "Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS – Review". The-digital-picture. Retrieved 5 August 2008.
- "Spaßfaktoren: Canon EOS 600D und 1100D | heise online" (in German). Heise.de. 2013-01-18. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- Rockwell, Ken (February 7, 2011). "Canon 18-55mm IS II". KenRockwell.com. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- "Canon announces EOS 700D / Rebel T5i 18MP and 18-55mm STM lens". Digital Photography Review. March 21, 2013. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- "Canon unveils 100D/Rebel SL1 world's smallest and lightest APS-C DSLR". Digital Photography Review. March 21, 2013. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- Westlake, Andy; Butler, Richard; Barnett, Shawn (October 2013). "Canon EOS 70D Review". Digital Photography Review. Retrieved November 7, 2013.
- "Technical Hall - Technical report 2004.1". Canon.com. January 2004. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- "Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens Review". The-digital-picture.com. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- "Technical Hall - Technical report 2005.05". Canon.com. May 2005. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- "Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II Lens Review". The-digital-picture.com. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- "Technical Hall - Technical report 2008.2". Canon.com. February 2008. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- "Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Review". The-digital-picture.com. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- "Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens Review". The-digital-picture.com. 2011-04-14. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- "Canon unveils new lenses". photoreview. Retrieved 26 February 2011.
- "EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 III - Lenses - Canon Australia". Canon.com.au. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- "Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM". Usa.canon.com. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- "EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM - Lenses - Canon Australia". Canon.com.au. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- "Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM - EF-S - Canon UK". Canon.co.uk. 2013-03-21. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
18–55mm f/3.5–5.6 II
18–55mm f/3.5–5.6 IS
18–55mm f/3.5–5.6 IS II
18–55mm f/3.5–5.6 USM
18–55mm f/3.5–5.6 IS STM