Canon EF 200–400mm lens
The EF 200–400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4× is a EF mount super telephoto zoom lens produced by Canon. It is part of the professional L-series and functions with the Canon EOS line of cameras. The EF 200–400mm lens features an ultrasonic motor, image stabilization and weather sealing. It is the first and only EF lens with a built-in extender.
The EF 200–400mm f/4L was first announced to be in development in February 2011 and a prototype was showcased at the 2011 CP+ tradeshow. In November 2011, Canon announced that availability of the lens would be postponed to an unspecified later date. The lens was only released more than a year later in May 2013.
Built-in 1.4× Extender
Although not the first lens to be equipped with a built-in teleconverter, an honour that belongs to the older Canon FD mount 1200mm f/5.6L 1.4× lens, the EF 200–400 is the first to be for the EF mount, and the first to enter mass production. The extender, when engaged, increases the lens' focal length by a factor of 1.4×, while decreasing the aperture by a single stop, changing the lens to a 280–560mm f/5.6 lens. The extender is activated and deactivated by a mechanical switch close to the lens mount.
|Attribute||f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4×|
|Image stabilizer||Yes (4 stops)|
|Built in 1.4× Extender||Yes|
|Maximum aperture||f/4 (f/5.6 with extender)|
|Minimum aperture||f/32 (f/45 with extender)|
|Horizontal viewing angle||10°–5°10' (7°20'–3°40' with extender)|
|Vertical viewing angle||7°–3°30' (4°55'–2°25' with extender)|
|Diagonal viewing angle||12°–6°10' (8°50'–4°25' with extender)|
|Groups/elements||20/25 (24/33 with extender)|
|# of diaphragm blades||9|
|Closest focusing distance||2.0 m (6.6 ft)|
|Maximum Magnification||0.15x (0.21x with extender)|
|Weight||3,620 g (7.98 lb)|
|Maximum diameter||128 mm (5.0 in)|
|Length||366 mm (14.4 in)|
|Filter diameter||52 mm|
|Lens hood||ET-120 (WII)|
|Release date||May 2013|
- "Canon Will Exhibit The Prototype Of A New Super-Telephoto Zoom Lens At The CP+ Event: The EF 200–400mm f/4L IS USM EXTENDER 1.4x Lens". Usa.canon.com. 2011-02-07. Retrieved 2013-06-22.
- "Canon U.S.A. Provides Updates On EF Lens Availability". Usa.canon.com. 2011-11-16. Retrieved 2013-06-22.
- "Canon U.S.A. Announces The Availability Of The Versatile EF 200–400mm F/4L IS USM Extender 1.4X Super-Telephoto Zoom Lens". Usa.canon.com. 2013-05-14. Retrieved 2013-06-22.
- December 9, 2012 (2012-12-09). "History Lesson: Canon FDn 1200 f/5.6L 1.4× Lens Images". Canonrumors.com. Retrieved 2013-06-22.
- December 8, 2012 (2012-12-08). "Correction and History Lesson About Built-in Teleconverters in Canon Lenses". Canonrumors.com. Retrieved 2013-06-22.
- Lens overview from Canon USA
- Canon 200-400 6 Month Test
- Comparison with several other super-telephoto lenses by LensRentals.com
- Canon EF 200–400 Lens review by Bryan Carnathan