Canon EF 24–105mm lens
The EF 24–105mm f/4.0L IS USM lens is often compared to the other L series zoom of comparable range, the 24–70mm f/2.8L USM, losing one full stop but gaining image stabilization (IS) in return, stabilizing camera shake up to three stops. It also has rubber gaskets for moisture and dust protection, although weather sealing is only effective if the photographer uses a weather-resistant camera body and a lens filter. Some early production models of the EF 24–105mm f/4.0L IS USM lens had a flare problem (reportedly the first 10,000 batch) and Canon offered to repair them for free.
The EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM is a 'low cost' version of the EF 24–105mm f/4.0L IS USM. It has the same zoom range, but a non constant aperture range. Both lens have image stabilization (IS). The EF 24–105mm f/4.0L IS USM is using USM as engine whereas the new EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM is using STM as engine, which is more silent during video usage. The new EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM has slightly less wiegth (525 g / 18.52 oz versus 670g g / 23.6 oz) and hast the half price of the EF 24–105mm f/4.0L IS USM. 
On a 1.6x APS-C camera body, this lens' field of view is equivalent to that of a 38–168mm lens on a 35mm film camera; this is a very useful range, covering most normal to medium-telephoto needs.
Specs EF 24–105L IS USM lens
- The lens includes sealing against dust and water, although it is not waterproof.
- It includes an 8-bladed curved diaphragm which remains nearly circular from f/4 to f/8.
- Uses common 77mm filters.
- Characteristic of zoom lenses, it exhibits some barrel distortion at its shortest focal length.
|Attribute||f/4L IS USM||f/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
|Zoom Lock Lever||No|
|Construction||13 groups / 18 elements||13 groups / 17 elements|
|# of diaphragm blades||8||7|
|Closest focusing distance||1.48 ft / 0.45 m||1.31 ft / 0.4 m|
|Horizontal viewing angle||74º - 19º 20'|
|Diagonal viewing angle||84º - 23º 20'|
|Vertical viewing angle||53º - 13º|
|Weight||670g g / 23.6 oz||525 g / 18.52 oz|
|Maximum diameter||83.5 mm / 3.3"||83.4 mm / 3.3"|
|Length||107 mm / 4.2"||104 mm / 4.1"|
|Release date||October 2005||September 2014|
|Currently in production?||Yes||Yes|
- Canon Inc.. "EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Standard Zoom". Retrieved 2014-09-15.
- Canon Inc.. "EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Standard Zoom". Retrieved 2014-09-15.
- Canon Inc.. "Canon EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM". Retrieved 2014-09-15.
- Canon Inc.. "Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Standard-Zoom". Retrieved 2014-09-15.