Canon EOS 500D
|Type||Digital single-lens reflex camera|
|Sensor||CMOS APS-C 22.3 x 14.9 mm (1.6x conversion factor)|
|Maximum resolution||15.1 effective megapixels, 4,752 x 3,168|
|Lens||Canon EF lens mount, Canon EF-S lens mount|
|Flash||E-TTL II automatic built-in pop-up|
|Shutter speed range||1/4000 to 30 sec and Bulb, 1/200 s X-sync|
|Exposure metering||Full aperture TTL, 35-zone SPC|
|Exposure modes||Full Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Night Portrait, No Flash, Program AE, Shutter-priority, Aperture-priority, Manual, Auto Depth-of-field|
|Metering modes||Spot, Evaluative, Partial (approx. 9% at center of viewfinder), Center-weighted average|
|Focus areas||9 AF points|
|Focus modes||AI Focus, One-Shot, AI Servo, Live View|
|Continuous shooting||3.4 frame/s for 170 JPEGs or 9 RAW files|
|Viewfinder||Eye-level pentamirror SLR, 95% coverage, 0.87x magnification|
|ASA/ISO range||ISO 100 to 3200 (expandable to 12800)|
|Custom WB||Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten Light, White Fluorescent Light, Flash, Manual, user-set|
|WB bracketing||+/- 3 stops in 1-stop increments;|
|Rear LCD monitor||3 in color TFT LCD, 920,000 dots|
|Storage||Secure Digital Card
Secure Digital High Capacity
|Battery||LP-E5 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (7.4 V, 1050 mAh)|
|Dimensions||129 x 98 x 62 mm|
|Weight||480 g (body only, no battery)|
|Optional battery packs||BG-E5 grip|
|Made in||Japan, Taiwan|
The Canon EOS 500D is a 15 megapixel entry level digital single-lens reflex camera, announced by Canon on 25 March 2009. It was released in May 2009. It is known as the EOS Kiss X3 in Japan, and as the EOS Rebel T1i in North America. It continues the Rebel line of mid-range DSLR cameras, is placed by Canon as the next model up from the EOS 450D, and has been superseded by the EOS 550D (T2i).
It is the third digital single-lens reflex camera to feature a movie mode and the second to feature full 1080p video recording, albeit at the rate of 20 frames/sec. The camera shares a few features with the high-end Canon EOS 5D Mark II, including movie mode, Live preview, and DiGIC 4. Like the EOS 450D and EOS 1000D, it uses SDHC media storage, and is the third EOS model to use that medium instead of CompactFlash. Like the EOS 5D Mark II, video clips are recorded as MOV (QuickTime) files with H.264/MPEG-4 compressed video and linear PCM audio.
- 15.1-megapixel CMOS sensor Type APS-C, 22.3 x 14.9mm CMOS
- Type – TTL-CT-SIR with a CMOS sensor
- DIGIC 4 image processor
- 14-bit analog to digital signal conversion
- 3.0-inch (76 mm) LCD monitor
- Live view mode and built-in flash
- Wide, selectable, nine-point AF with centre cross-type sensors
- Four metering modes, using 35-zones: spot, partial, center-weighted average, and evaluative metering.
- Auto lighting optimizer
- Highlight tone priority
- EOS integrated cleaning system
- sRGB and AdobeRGB colour spaces
- ISO 100–12,800
- ISO Sensitivity (8) – AUTO(100–1600), 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200 Expandable to 6400 + H (approx 12800) in 1-stop increments
- Continuous drive up to 3.4 frame/s (170 images (JPEG), 9 images (RAW))
- Canon EF/EF-S lenses
- PAL/NTSC video output
- SD and SDHC memory card file storage
- RAW and large JPEG simultaneous recording
- USB 2.0 and HDMI interfaces.
- LP-E5 battery
- Approximate weight 0.475 kg
- Metering Range – EV 1–20 (at 23 °C with 50mm f/1.4 lens ISO100)
- Low-Pass Filter – Built-in/Fixed with Self Cleaning Sensor Unit
- AWB, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten, White, Fluorescent light, Flash, Custom. White balance compensation: 1. Blue/Amber +/-9, 2. Magenta/ Green +/-9
- WB Bracketing – +/-3 levels in single level increments, 3 bracketed images per shutter release. Selectable Blue/Amber bias or Magenta/ Green bias
- Viewfinder Information – AF information: AF points, focus confirmation light.
- Exposure information: Shutter speed, aperture value, ISO speed (always displayed), AE lock, exposure level/compensation, spot metering circle, exposure warning, AEB.
- Flash information: Flash ready, high-speed sync, FE lock, flash exposure compensation, red-eye reduction light. Image information: White balance correction, SD card information, monochrome shooting, maximum burst (1 digit display), Highlight tone priority (D+)
The features of this camera can be greatly increased through the use of a custom firmware add-on, namely Magic Lantern. Though not endorsed by Canon, thousands of people have downloaded Magic Lantern and a growing online community continue to develop its functionality.
The Canon EOS 500D received favorable reviews on its release.
IT Reviews gave the camera a Recommended Award, and concluded: “Canon's DSLR range continues to go from strength to strength with this considerably enhanced upgrade of the EOS 450D, which manages to keep almost all of the previous physical features while improving the processor and the ISO range and adding a new Full HD video facility.”
Digital Photography Review said: “For anybody buying their first DSLR the 500D is an easy recommendation but you might want to have a look at the Nikon D5000 as well. It comes with a similar feature set to the 500D ('only' 720P video though) and performs slightly better in low light.”
Alternatives & comparisons
Canon EOS 500D (also known as EOS Rebel T1i) is an entry to medium level digital SLR camera, used by amateur, student and hobbyist photographers. Alternatives to Canon EOS 500D:
- Sony Alpha 380 Digital SLR Camera
- Sony Alpha 35 Digital SLT Camera
- Olympus Evolt E420 Digital SLR Camera
- Nikon D90 12.3MP Digital SLR Camera
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Micro Four-Thirds Camera
- Pentax K-x Digital SLR Camera
Next level upgrade from Canon EOS 500D
Economical alternatives for Canon EOS 500D
- Canon EOS Rebel T1i (500D) Digital SLR Kit w/EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens & Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Autofocus Lens Reviews
- "EOS 500D: get ready to play". 24 January 2008. Archived from the original on 29 January 2008. Retrieved 24 January 2008.
- "Canon Press Release". 23 January 2008. Retrieved 24 January 2008.
- "Canon EOS Digital Rebel T1i". Retrieved 30 June 2009.
- Canon 500D specs from Canon Camera Museum
- IT Reviews Recommended Award
- Digital Photography Review
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Canon EOS 500D.|
|Canon EOS Digital Camera timeline (comparison)|
Naming of entry-level models: Rebel - Americas | Kiss - Japan
See also: Canon EOS Film SLR cameras