Canon EOS 70D
|Type||Digital Single-lens reflex|
|Sensor||CMOS APS-C 22.5 × 15 mm (1.6x crop factor), Bayer CFA|
|Maximum resolution||5472 x 3648 (20.2 megapixels)|
|Lens||Interchangeable (EF, EF-S)|
|Exposure metering||TTL, full aperture, 63 zones|
|Exposure modes||Full auto, programmed, shutter-priority, aperture priority, manual|
|Focus areas||19 cross-type AF points|
|Focus modes||One-shot, AI Servo, AI-Focus, Manual|
|Continuous shooting||up to 7 frames/s|
|Viewfinder||Optical pentaprism / LiveView LCD|
|ASA/ISO range||100–12,800 (expansion up to 25,600)|
|Rear LCD monitor||3-inch 3:2 color TFT articulated LCD touchscreen, 720 × 480 pixel (345,600 pixels), 288 ppi|
|Storage||SD, SDHC or SDXC; fully exploits UHS-I bus|
|List price||US$1199/€1099/£1080 (body only)|
The Canon EOS 70D is a digital single-lens reflex camera from Canon. The EOS 70D was announced on July 2, 2013, to replace the EOS 60D, and was first available in late August 2013. The camera is available bundled with either the EF-S 18–55mm IS STM, EF-S 18–135mm IS STM lens, EF-S 18-200mm IS or as a body only.
The Canon EOS 70D is the launch platform for Canon's Dual Pixel CMOS Autofocus, which provides great improvement in focusing speed while in Live View, both for stills and video. At large apertures such as f/1.8, the 70D's Dual Pixel CMOS Autofocus provides a significant improvement in focus accuracy and consistency over conventional autofocus.
- 20.2 MP CMOS Sensor (18.1 MP CMOS on 60D)
- DIGIC 5+ (DIGIC 4 on 60D)
- 19pt AF System, all cross-type. Center point is high precision, double cross-type at f/2.8 or faster. (9 points, all cross-type on 60D)
- 98% viewfinder coverage, 0.95x magnification (96% coverage with same magnification for 60D)
- 7 frames per second continuous shooting (5.3 for 60D)
- Built-in Wi-Fi (not on 60D)
- 3″ Vari-Angle Touch Screen LCD (no touchscreen on 60D)
- ISO 12,800 maximum (25,600 expanded) – compare to 6,400 (12,800 expanded) on 60D
- Dual Pixel CMOS Autofocus (only standard contrast-detection in live view on 60D)
- Allows the use of high precision phase-detection autofocus in live view, functional across 80% of the frame down to 0EV and f/11
- Full HD EOS Movies
- AF microadjustment (present episodically in previous editions of the XXD, not on the 40D, on the 50D, then removed on the 60D)
- HDR (not available in-camera on 60D)
- Multi exposure Mode (not available on 60D)
- Exposure bracketing of up to 7 frames (3 for 60D)
- One SD/SDHC/SDXC slot, fully exploiting UHS-I bus (same as 60D, except UHS-I is not supported)
- Viewfinder level indicator — In a first for Canon DSLRs, the indicator remains active in autofocus mode until the shutter is released. (In other Canon bodies with this feature, the indicator remains fully active only in manual focus mode; if in autofocus mode, the indicator disappears from view once the shutter button is half-pressed for autofocus.)
- Canon (among other manufacturers) counts the sub-pixels of each pixel, i.e. the red, green, and blue channel of each pixel, and therefore specifies the rear display to have 345,600 [pixels] × 3 [colors] = 1,036,800 or ca. 1,040,000 dots.
- "Canon announces EOS 70D mid-range SLR with 'Dual Pixel CMOS AF'". Digital Photography Review. July 2, 2013. Retrieved July 2, 2013.
- "Canon EOS 70D Specs (New Sensor), announced on July 2 !". Camera egg. 27 June 2013. Retrieved 27 June 2013.
- "The Canon EOS 70D is Hitting Stores". CanonRumors.com. August 21, 2013. Retrieved September 5, 2013.
- "Canon reinvents video focusing with the fiercely fast EOS 70D (hands-on)". July 2, 2013.
- "Dual Pixel AF vs. Conventional AF accuracy". Digital Photography Review. Retrieved 12 October 2013. "We've also found that it offers clearly greater accuracy and consistency than the conventional AF system"
- Westlake, Andy. "Canon EOS 70D Hands-on Preview". Digital Photography Review. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- Westlake, Andy (October 2013). "Canon EOS 70D". DPReview. Retrieved 30 October 2013.
- Laing, Gordon (September 2013). "Canon EOS 70D review". CameraLabs.com. Retrieved September 2, 2013.
- Carnathan, Bryan (September 4, 2013). "Another Step Foward in Resolution of My HLDS Diagnosis". The-Digital-Picture.com. Retrieved September 5, 2013.
|Canon EOS Digital Camera timeline (comparison)|
Specialty models: C - Cinema EOS
Naming of entry-level models: Rebel - Americas | Kiss - Japan
See also: Canon EOS Film SLR cameras