Bosnian: Kanton 10
Croatian: Hercegbosanska županija
Location of Canton 10 within Bosnia and Herzegovina
|Country||Bosnia and Herzegovina|
|Entity||Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina|
|Washington agreement||18 March 1994|
|Municipalities||Livno, Tomislavgrad, Kupres, Glamoč, Bosansko Grahovo, Drvar|
|• Prime Minister||Branko Ivković|
|• Total||4,934.1 km2 (1,905.1 sq mi)|
|Population (2013 census)|
|• Density||18,39/km2 (4,760/sq mi)|
|ISO 3166 code||BA-10|
|The flag and the coat of arms are recognized only at the cantonal level and not on the Federal level; however, flag is still de jure and de facto used by the Canton.>|
Canton 10 or Herzeg-Bosnia County (Bosnian: Kanton 10, Livanjski kanton, Croatian: Hercegbosanska županija) is the tenth of 10 cantons of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina in Bosnia and Herzegovina. The local government seat is in Livno, while the assembly is in Tomislavgrad.
Names, symbols and controversy
In Croatian the term županija (county) is used, while in Bosnian and Serbian the term is kanton. The canton is officially referred by the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina as Canton 10/County 10 (Kanton 10 or Županija 10). The local government however refers to it as the Herzeg-Bosnia County (Hercegbosanska županija) and uses that name in the local constitution. This name has been deemed unconstitutional by the Federation's Constitutional Court partly because it "does not cover any part of the traditional region of Herzegovina". Other names used at the national level include West Bosnia Canton/County (Zapadnobosanski kanton, Zapadnobosanska županija) and Livno Canton (Livanjski kanton), after its capital.
The flag and coat of arms of the canton were the same as the flag and coat of arms of the former Croatian Republic of Herzeg-Bosnia. West Herzegovina canton was another canton in Bosnia and Herzegovina which also used this flag and coat of arms. However, these symbols were deemed unconstitutional by the Federation Constitutional Court, because "it only represented one group". The local government, however, continues using these illegal symbols, despite court ruling. The coat of arms is used at plates at the official institutions. Due the name and symbols dispute, the local police up to this day have no official badges.
The total area of the County is approximately 4,934 square kilometres (1,910 sq mi), a tenth of the surface of Bosnia-Herzegovina and c. 19% of the Federation. The region is located between Dalmatia to the west, Una-Sana Canton to the north, Central Bosnia Canton to the east and West Herzegovina Canton and Herzegovina-Neretva Canton to the south and southeast.
Mountainous terrain of the region is a part of the Dinaric Alps, linked to a Late Jurassic to recent times fold and thrust belt, itself part of the Alpine orogeny, extending southeast from the southern Alps. The Dinarides form part of a chain of mountains that stretch across southern Europe and isolate Pannonian Basin from the Mediterranean Sea. The highest mountain of the Tropolje Dinarides is Mount Vran, located on the border of the municipalities of Tomislavgrad and Jablanica with the peak called Veliki Vran (Great Vran) at 2,074 metres (6,804 ft).
|Highest mountains of Tropolje|
|Vran||Veliki Vran||2,074 m (6,804 ft)|
|Vran||Mali Vis||2,014 m (6,608 ft)|
|Cincar||Cincar||2,006 m (6,581 ft)|
|Vran||Crno Brdo||1,966 m (6,450 ft)|
|Vran||Mali Vran||1,961 m (6,434 ft)|
|Vran||Bijela Glava||1,949 m (6,394 ft)|
|Vitorog||Veliki Vitorog||1,907 m (6,257 ft)|
|Golija||Veliki Vrh||1,886 m (6,188 ft)|
|Vran||Priorac||1,881 m (6,171 ft)|
|Šator||Veliki Šator||1,872 m (6,142 ft)|
|Coat of arms||Municipality||Population ||Area (km2)|
The canton is governed by the Government of Canton 10 (Croatian: Vlada Hercegbosanske županije Bosnian: Vlada kantona 10). The current government is a coalition of 2 parties led by Croatian Democratic Union. President of the government is Branko Ivković.
The Cantonal Assembly (Croatian: Županijska skupština Bosnian: Kantonalna skupština) is the parliament of the canton 10. It consists of 25 representatives elected by proportional representation for four-year terms of office.
|Political party||Assembly members||Current members|
|Croatian Democratic Union (HDZ)||13||5||7|
|Croatian Democratic Union 1990 (HDZ 1990)||-||6||4|
|Alliance of Independent Social Democrats (SNSD)||3||5||3|
|People's Party For Work And Betterment (NSRzB)||2||1||3|
|Croatian Party of Rights (HSP)||1||4||3|
|Party of Democratic Action (SDA)||2||2||2|
|Croatian Peasant Party – New Croatian Initiative (HSS-NHI)||-||-||1|
|Social Democratic Party (SDP)||1||1||1|
|Democratic People's Alliance (DNS)||-||-||1|
The preliminary results from the 2013 census show the population to be 90,727 people. At the 1991 census, 115,726 people inhabited the County.
The exact demographic composition is not known because there has been no official census result since 1991 and there was significant population migration during the war.
Due to economic reasons (insufficient County revenues compared to expenses) unification with West Herzegovina County has been proposed. However Canton 10, as determined federally, does not cover any part of the traditional region of Herzegovina and thus such a proposition could never happen without dropping reference to Herzegovina as a result.
- "First release". Federal Office of Statistics, Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina. June 30, 2011.
- U-11/97 at the Wayback Machine (archived April 19, 2008)
- "Ustav Hercegbosanske županije" (in Croatian). Government of the Herzeg-Bosnia Canton. 23 December 1996. Retrieved 28 July 2012.
- // TZ HBZ ** Turistička zajednica Hercegbosanske županije //
- Vlada Hercegbosanske županije
- Utopio se pijan plivajući u Buškom jezeru - Sarajevo-x.com
- mediainfo.ba - Livanjski kanton: Do 2010. godine biće izgrađene prve vjetrenjače
- 24sata.info - Livanjski kanton: Ministar zdravlja Darko Horvat lomio po kafani!
- (Bosnian)(Croatian) "PRELIMINARY RESULTS Of the 2013 Census of Population, Households and Dwellings in Bosnia and Herzegovina". http://www.bhas.ba/. Agency for Statistics of Bosnia and Herzegovina. 5 November 2013. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- (Croatian)"Government of Herzeg-Bosnia County". vladahbz.com. Government of Canton 10. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- "Verified results of the 2010 general elections: The Cantonal Assemblies in the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina: Canton 10". izbori.ba. Central Election Commission of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- (Bosnian) "210-Skupština kantona 10 (210-Assembly of Canton 10)". izbori.ba. Central Election Commission of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- (Croatian) "Opći izbori-konačni rezultati (General elections-final results)". izbori.ba. Central Election Commission of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- Monitor - portal za svaki dan - Offline
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Canton 10.|