Canton Country Day School
|Canton Country Day School|
A Good Beginning Never Ends
|Canton, Ohio, United States|
|Principal||Pamela Shaw |
|Campus size||40 acres (160,000 m2)|
|Color(s)||Blue & White|
Canton Country Day School, (commonly referred to as CCDS), is an independent day school in Canton, Ohio. The school founded in 1964 as part of the Country Day School movement, with the aim of combining innovation with a superior elementary education dedicated to the liberal arts. It is the only non-sectarian independent PreK-8 school in Stark County, Ohio. The school has been recognized by the Blue Ribbon Schools Program, the highest award an American school can receive.
The schools financial aid policy has allowed the school to attract a diverse student body. A partnership with Canton City Schools has made it possible for many low-income students to attend Canton Country Day School.
Canton Country Day School also participates in helping other kids across the world. In 2008 the school participated in Books of Hope sending many books and some money to the Koch Goma school in Africa.
Awards and recognition 
During the 1991-92 school year, Canton Country Day School was recognized with the Blue Ribbon School Award of Excellence by the United States Department of Education. Representatives of the school attended two days of ceremonies in Washington, D.C. to collect the award, starting on May 13, 1993.
The school won the Governor's Award for Excellence in Youth Science Opportunities in both 1986 and 1987. The 1987 award came in competition against 130 school programs statewide.
The school was established in 1964 with 72 students in six grades, and moved to its current 40-acre (160,000 m2) campus in 1969. An expansion in 1996 allowed for expanding to include students in preschool through eighth grade. Although preschool did not become available until 2001.
Athletic programs offered to students include Co-ed soccer (fall), boys' and girls' basketball (winter) and boys' and girls' track and field (spring). Kurtis Roberts,  the school's physical education teacher, finished 5th place in shot put in the olympic trials, one place before making the team.
- Head of School Message
- Canton Country Day School at www.cantoncountryday.org
- CIBA cited as one of the best by Education Department, Journal Inquirer, November 16, 2006. "The Blue Ribbon award is given only to schools that reach the top 10 percent of their state's testing scores over several years or show significant gains in student achievement. It is considered the highest honor a school can achieve."
- Viers Mill School Wins Blue Ribbon; School Scored High on Statewide Test; The Washington Post. September 29, 2005 "For their accomplishments, all three schools this month earned the status of Blue Ribbon School, the highest honor the U.S. Education Department can bestow upon a school."
- "COUNTRY DAY, SCHOOL WINS NATIONAL AWARD", Akron Beacon Journal, December 24, 1992. Accessed May 13, 2007. "Canton Country DAY, School was one of 228 `Blue Ribbon Schools' recognized nationally as a symbol of excellence by the U.S. Department of Education on Wednesday."
- Galloway, Barbara. "CANTON COUNTRY DAY, WINS NATIONAL BLUE RIBBON AWARD SCHOOL ONE OF 228 PUBLIC AND PRIVATE ELEMENTARY INSTITUTIONS TO BE RECOGNIZED", Akron Beacon Journal, May 11, 1993. Accessed May 13, 2007. "After a two-year process and a close call in Congress, three representatives of the Canton Country Day, school will be in Washington, D.C., Thursday, and Friday, to collect their blue ribbon. Canton Country Day, was one of 228 public and private elementary schools in 46 states and Puerto Rico named Blue Ribbon schools for 1991-92 by former U.S. Secretary of Education Lamar Alexander."
- Blue Ribbon Schools Program: Schools Recognized 1982-1983 through 1999-2002 (PDF), accessed May 11, 2006.
- "Private School Program Wins Award", Akron Beacon Journal, July 23, 1987. Accessed May 13, 2007. "The science program at Canton Country Day School recently won the Governor's Award for Excellence in Youth Science Opportunities for the second consecutive year, according to school officials. The program, which is directed by science teacher Nancy Kopka, competed against 130 schools and teachers for the award."
- Canton Country Day School
- Educational statistics for Canton Country Day School from the National Center for Education Statistics