A cantonment (//, //, or UK //) is a military or police quarters. The word cantonment is derived from the French word canton meaning corner or district, as is the name of the Cantons of Switzerland. In South Asia, the term cantonment also describes permanent military stations. Cantonments can be found in Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, South Africa, Singapore, Malaysia, Ghana, Sri Lanka and Nepal. In United States military parlance, a cantonment is an essentially permanent residential (i.e. barracks) section of a fort or other military installation such as Fort Hood.
The term is often abbreviated to "cantt."
During a campaign, cantonments are places of encampment formed by troops for a more permanent stay, or while in winter quarters. For example at the start of the Waterloo campaign in 1815, while the Duke of Wellington's headquarters were in Brussels, most of his Anglo-allied army of 93,000 were cantoned to the south of Brussels.
List of permanent cantonments
Many cities in the Indian subcontinent, such as Ahmedabad, Ambala, Belgaum, Bangalore, Kanpur, Bathinda, Delhi, Meerut, Pune, Peshawar, Ramgarh, Rawalpindi, Sialkot, Secunderabad, and Trichy, contained large cantonments of the former British Indian Army, with Meerut and Ramgarh being the most important cantonments in North India after the headquarters at Rawalpindi. Meerut was established in 1803 and was for 150 years the biggest cantonment in the region. While in the 18th and 19th century cantonments in India were viewed as semi-permanent, by the turn of the 20th century they became permanent garrisons, and were further entrenched as such via the military reforms of Lord Kitchener in 1903 and the Cantonments Act of 1924.
The Indian Army maintains a training mission in Bhutan, known as the Indian Military Training Team (IMTRAT), responsible for the military training of RBA and RBG personnel.  RBA and RBG officers are sent for training at the National Defence Academy (NDA) in Pune, and Indian Military Academy (IMA) in Dehradun.  Project DANTAK of the Border Roads Organisation, a sub-division of the Indian Army Corps of Engineers, has been operating in Bhutan since May 1961. Since then Project DANTAK has been responsible for the construction and maintenance of over 1,500 km of roads and bridges, Paro Airport and a disused airfield at Yangphula, heliports, and other infrastructure.  While these serve India's strategic defence needs, it is also an obvious economic benefit for the people of Bhutan. Army aviation The Royal Bhutan Army relies on Eastern Air Command of the Indian Air Force for air assistance. In recent years India has helped Bhutan start to develop its military in all areas through military donations and training.  Indian Air Force helicopters evacuated RBA casualties to India for treatment during Operation All Clear in 2003
There are 62 'notified Cantonments' in India occupying an area of 1,57,000 acres: 25 in Central Command, 13 in Western Command, 4 in Eastern Command; and one in the Northern Command. In addition 15,96,000 acres is in use for military garrisons, "quartering, camping, offices", and training areas. Major cantonments and garrisons are:
3. Ahmednagar Cantonment, Maharashtra, Southern Command.
4. Ajmer Cantonment, Rajasthan Southern Command.
5. Allahabad Cantonment, Uttar Pradesh, Central Command.
6. Almora Cantonment, Uttarakhand, Central Command
9. Aurangabad Cantonment, Maharashtra, Southern Command.
10. Babina Cantonment, Uttar Pradesh, Southern Command.
11. Badamibagh Cantonment Jammu and Kashmir Northern Command
13. Bareilly Cantonment, Uttar Pradesh, Central Command.
14. Barrackpore, West Bengal, Eastern Command.
17. Chakrata Cantonment, Uttarakhand, Central Command.
18. Clement Town Cantonment, Dehradun, Uttarakhand, Central Command.
19. Dagshai Cantonment, Himachal Pradesh, Western Command
20. Dalhousie Cantonment, Himachal Pradesh, Western Command.
21. Danapur Cantonment, Bihar, Central Command.
23. Dehu Road Cantonment Maharashtra, Southern Command.
25. Deolali Cantonment Maharashtra Southern Command
26. Faizabad Cantonment, Uttar Pradesh, Central Command.
27. Fatehgarh Cantonment, Uttar Pradesh, Central Command
28. Ferozepur Cantonment, Punjab, Western Command
29. Jabalpur Cantonment, Madhya Pradesh, Central Command
30. Jalandhar Cantonment, Punjab, Western Command
33. Jhansi Cantonment, Uttar Pradesh, Southern Command.
34. Jutogh Cantonment, Shimla Himachal Pradesh, Western Command.
35. Kamptee Cantonment, Maharashtra, Southern Command.
36. Kanpur Cantonment, Uttar Pradesh, Central Command.
37. Kasauli Cantonment, Himachal Pradesh, Western Command.
38. Khas Yol Cantonment, Kangara Himachal Pradesh Western Command
39. Kirkee Cantonment Maharashtra Southern Command.
40. Landour Cantonment, Uttarakhand, Central Command.
41. Lansdowne Cantonment, Uttarakhand, Central Command.
42. Lebong, Darjeeling, West Bengal Eastern Command.
43. Lucknow Cantonment, Uttar Pradesh, Central Command.
44. Mathura Cantonment, Uttar Pradesh, Central Command.
45. Meerut Cantonment, Uttar Pradesh, Central Command.
46. Mhow Cantonment, Madhya Pradesh, Central Command.
48. Nainital Cantonment, Uttar Pradesh, Central Command.
49. Nasirabad Cantonment, Rajasthan, Southern Command.
50. Pachmarhi Cantonment, Madhya Pradesh, Central Command.
51. Pune Cantonment, Maharashtra, Southern Command.
53. Ranikhet Cantonment, Uttarakhand, Central Command.
54. Roorkee Cantonment, Uttarakhand, Central Command.
55. Saugor Cantonment, Madhya Pradesh, Southern Command.
57. Shahajahanpur Cantonment, Uttar Pradesh, Central Command.
59. St. Thomas Mount Cantonment, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, Southern Command.
60. Subathu Cantonment, Shimla Hills, Himachal Pradesh, Western Command.
61. Varanasi Cantonment, Uttar Pradesh, Central Command.
62. Wellington Cantonment, Tamil Nadu, Southern Command.
Unlisted Military Garrisons-Cantonments
- Abohar Cantonment (Punjab)
- Agartala Cantonment (Tripura)
- Aizawl Cantonment (Mizoram)
- Akhnoor Cantonment
- Anand Parbat Cantonment (New Delhi)
- Bangalore Cantonment
- Bhuj Cantonment (Bhuj, Gujarat)
- Bhopal Cantonment (Madhya Pradesh)
- Bathinda Cantonment (Bathinda, Punjab)
- Bombay Cantonment (Mumbai, Maharashtra)
- Chandigarh Cantonment (Chandigarh)
- Daman Cantonment (Daman and Diu )
- Dum Dum Cantonment (Kolkata)
- Faridabad Cantonment (Haryana)
- Gandhinagar Cantonment (Gandhinagar, Gujarat)
- Gangtok Cantonment (Sikkim)
- Gopalpur Cantonment (Brahmapur, Orissa)
- Guwahati Cantonment (Assam)
- Hisar Cantt (Hisar, Haryana)
- Itanagar Cantonment (Arunachal Pradesh)
- Imphal Cantonment (Manipur)
- Jaipur Cantonment (Rajasthan)
- Jodhpur Cantonment (Rajasthan)
- Kavaratti Cantonment (Lakshadweep)
- Kohima Cantonment (Nagaland)
- Ludhiana Cantonment (Punjab)
- Mamoon cantt (Punjab)
- Mumbai Cantonment (Maharashtra)
- Nagrota Cantonment, Jammu (Jammu & Kashmir)
- OEF Cantonment (Kanpur)
- Panaji Cantonment (Goa)
- Patiala Cantonment (Punjab)
- Pondicherry Cantonment (Pondicherry)
- PortBlair Cantonment (Andaman and Nicobar Islands)
- Raipur Cantonment (Chhattisgarh)
- Ramgarh Cantonment
- Ranchi Cantonment (Jharkhand)
- Silvassa Cantonment (Dadra and Nagar Haveli )
- Shahjahanpur Cantonment
- Surat cantonment (Surat, Gujarat)
- Thiruvananthapuram Cantonment (Kerala)
- Udhampur Cantonment (Udhampur, Jammu & Kashmir)
- Unnao Cantonment (Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh)
- Vadodra Cantonment (Vadodra, Gujarat)
- Abbottabad Cantonment
- Attock Cantonment
- Bannu Cantonment
- Bhawalpur Cantonment
- Chaklala Cantonment
- Clifton Cantonment, Karachi
- Dera Ismail Khan Cantonment
- Faisal Cantonment, Karachi
- Faisalabad Cantonment
- Gujranwala Cantonment
- Hyderabad Cantonment
- Jhelum Cantonment
- Kamra Cantonment
- Karachi Cantonment
- Kharian Cantonment
- Khuzdar Cantonment
- Korangi Creek Cantonment, Karachi
- Lahore Cantonment
- Walton Cantonment: Created out of the southern parts of the original Lahore Cantt., Walton, Lahore
- Loralai Cantonment
- Malir Cantonment, Karachi
- Mangla Cantonment
- Manora Cantonment, Karachi
- Mardan Cantonment
- Multan Cantonment
- Murree Cantonment
- Nowshera Cantonment
- Okara Cantonment
- Ormara Cantonment
- Pano Aqil Cantonment
- Peshawar Cantonment
- Quetta Cantonment
- Rawalpindi Cantonment
- Sanjwal Cantonment
- Sargodha Cantonment
- Shorkot Cantonment (PAF Rafiqui)
- Sialkot Cantonment
- Taxila Cantonment
- Wah Cantonment
- Zhob Cantonment
- Alikadam Cantonment, Cox's Bazar
- Bandarban Cantonment, Bandarban
- Bangladesh Military Academy, Chittagong
- Chittagong Cantonment, Chittagong
- Comilla Cantonment, Comilla
- Dhaka Cantonment, Dhaka
- Dighinala Cantonment, Rangamati
- Halishahar Cantonment, Chittagong
- Jahanabad Cantonment, Khulna
- Jahangirabad Cantonment, Bogra
- Jalalabad Cantonment, Sylhet
- Jessore Cantonment, Jessore
- Kaptai Cantonment, Kaptai
- Khagrachari Cantonment, Khagrachari
- Kholahati Cantonment, Dinajpur
- Majhira Cantonment, Bogra
- Mirpur Cantonment, Dhaka
- Mymensingh Cantonment, Mymensingh
- Postogola Cantonment, Dhaka
- Qadirabad Cantonment, Natore
- Rajendrapur Cantonment, Gazipur
- Rajshahi Cantonment, Rajshahi
- Ramu Cantonment, Cox's Bazar
- Rangamati Cantonment, Rangamati
- Rangpur Cantontment, Rangpur
- Saidpur Cantonment, Rangpur
- Savar Cantonment, Dhaka
- Shahid Slahuddin Cantonment, Ghatail
In Singapore, the term is used to denote a Police Cantonment.
The term "cantonment" is not widely used in the United States other than on military installations.
- Oxford English Dictionary cantonment
- Oxford English Dictionary cantonment and canton, v.
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Eleventh Edition Waterloo Campaign
- Sheikh, M. O. Lahore Cantonment http://www.webcitation.org/query?url=http://www.geocities.com/momers_termpapers/ss153LahoreCantonment.htm&date=2009-10-26+02:56:58
- "Directorate General Defence Estates Main menu". Directorate General Defence Estates. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- "Military: Khuzdar Cantonment" Global Security
- Sarhad Conservation Network Reports: Book on Peshawar Cantonment Launched
- Singapore Police Force