|Headquarters||New York City, New York, U.S.|
|Key people||Howard W. Lutnick (Chairman & CEO)
Stuart Fraser (Vice Chairman)
Shawn Matthews (CEO, Cantor Fitzgerald & Co.)
Cantor Fitzgerald, L.P. is a financial services firm. Founded in 1945, Cantor is a capital markets investment bank serving more than 5,000 institutional clients. The firm specialises in institutional equity, fixed income sales and trading, and serving the middle market with investment banking services, prime brokerage, and commercial real estate financing. The firm is also active in new businesses including advisory and asset management services, gaming technology, e-commerce, and other ventures.
Cantor Fitzgerald's 1,600 employees work in over 30 locations, including major financial centers in the Americas, Europe, Asia/Pacific, and the Middle East. Together with affiliates, Cantor operates in over 60 offices in 20 countries and has over 8,500 employees.
Cantor’s affiliate, BGC Partners recently[when?] expanded into commercial real estate services through its purchase of Newmark Knight Frank and the assets of Grubb & Ellis to form Newmark Grubb Knight Frank.
- 1 History
- 2 September 11 attacks
- 3 Philanthropy
- 4 Subsidiaries and Affiliates
- 4.1 Aqua Securities
- 4.2 BGC Partners
- 4.3 Cantor Exchange
- 4.4 Cantor Commercial Real Estate
- 4.5 Cantor Fitzgerald Investment Advisors
- 4.6 Cantor Prime Services
- 4.7 Cantor Ventures
- 4.8 Cantor Index
- 4.9 Cantor Gaming
- 4.10 CastleOak Securities
- 4.11 Delivery.com
- 4.12 Global Gaming Asset Management
- 4.13 Hollywood Stock Exchange
- 4.14 Helix Financial Systems
- 4.15 TopLine Games
- 5 Management & Directors
- 6 Offices
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Cantor Fitzgerald, formed in 1945 by Bernard Gerald Cantor and John Fitzgerald, as an investment bank and brokerage business, became known for its computer-based bond brokerage, the quality of its institutional distribution business model, and as the market’s premier dealer of government securities.
In 1965, Cantor Fitzgerald began “large block” sales/trading of equities for institutional customers. Cantor Fitzgerald became the world’s first electronic marketplace for U.S. Government Securities in 1972 and shortly thereafter, the firm became the first to offer worldwide screen brokerage services in U.S. Government Securities in 1983.
In 1991, Howard Lutnick was named President & CEO of Cantor Fitzgerald and Chairman in Cantor Fitzgerald L.P. in 1996.
On September 11, 2001, the firm lost 658 of its 960 New York employees in the World Trade Center attacks. Since 9/11, the firm worked to rebuild and establish a new global headquarters in Manhattan. Two years after 9/11, Cantor Fitzgerald launched its fixed income sales and trading group.
In 2006 the U.S. Federal Reserve added Cantor Fitzgerald & Co. to its Primary Dealer list. In 2009, Cantor Fitzgerald launched Cantor Prime Services, a provider of multi-asset, Prime Brokerage platform exploiting the clearing, financing and execution capabilities of the firm.
Cantor Fitzgerald began building its real estate business with the launch of Cantor Commercial Real Estate in 2010.
September 11 attacks
Cantor Fitzgerald's corporate headquarters and New York City office, on the 101st-105th floors of One World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan (2-6 floors above the impact zone of a hijacked airliner), were destroyed during the September 11, 2001 attacks. Seconds after Cantor's tower was struck by the plane, a Goldman Sachs server issued an alert saying that its trading system had gone offline because it wasn't able to connect with a Cantor server. Cantor Fitzgerald lost over two-thirds of its workforce, considerably more than any of the other World Trade Center tenants or the New York City Police Department and New York City Fire Department. CEO and chairman Howard Lutnick, whose brother was among those killed, vowed to keep the company alive, and the company was able to bring its trading markets back online within a week. On September 19, Cantor Fitzgerald made a pledge to distribute 25 percent of the firm's profits for the next five years, and committed to paying for ten years of health care, for the benefit of the families of its 658 former Cantor Fitzgerald, eSpeed, and TradeSpark employees (profits which would otherwise have been distributed to the Cantor Fitzgerald partners). In 2006, the company completed its promise, having paid a total of $180 million (and an additional $17 million from a relief fund run by Lutnick's sister, Edie).
Before the attacks, Cantor handled about one-quarter of the daily transactions in the multi-trillion dollar treasury security market. Cantor has since rebuilt its infrastructure, thanks in part to the efforts of its London office, and now has its headquarters in midtown Manhattan. The company's effort to regain its footing is the subject of Tom Barbash's 2003 book On Top of the World: Cantor Fitzgerald, Howard Lutnick, and 9/11: A Story of Loss and Renewal.
On September 2, 2004, Cantor filed a civil lawsuit against the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for allegedly providing money to the hijackers and Al Qaeda, one of a number of organizations to do so. It was later joined in the suit by the Port Authority of New York. Most of the claims against Saudi Arabia were dismissed on January 18, 2005.
The Cantor Fitzgerald Relief Fund was founded in the wake of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center. The Relief Fund has raised and distributed $180 million to over 800 families and 932 children of the victims of that tragedy. In the past few years, the Relief Fund's expanded scope has included such natural disasters as the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina, the tsunami of 2004 and the earthquake in Haiti as well as the wounded members of the U.S. military. In addition, the Cantor Fitzgerald Relief Fund supports a wide variety of other charitable organizations providing assistance to those in need.
Cantor Fitzgerald Chairman and CEO Howard Lutnick and the partners of Cantor Fitzgerald underwrite all the expenses of the fund so that 100 percent of every dollar raised goes directly to those in need. The Cantor Fitzgerald Relief Fund, administered by its Co-Founder and Executive Director, Edie Lutnick has raised and distributed over $250 million in memory of the 658 men and women who worked at Cantor Fitzgerald and lost their lives on September 11, 2001.
Edie Lutnick is also the Author of “An Unbroken Bond: The Untold Story of How the 658 Cantor Fitzgerald Families Faced the Tragedy of 9/11 and Beyond,” in which 100% of the proceeds from the sale of the book benefit The Cantor Fitzgerald Relief Fund and the charities it assists.
Hurricane Sandy Relief
The Cantor Fitzgerald Relief Fund provided $10 million to families affected by Hurricane Sandy. Howard Lutnick and the Relief Fund "adopted" 19 elementary schools in impacted areas, distributing $1,000 prepaid debit cards to each family from the schools. In total $10 million in funds were given to families affected by the storm.
Oklahoma Tornado Relief
On May 20, 2013, a tornado struck Moore, Oklahoma, killing 24 people and injuring hundreds more. Two days later, Howard Lutnick appeared on the Piers Morgan Live TV show and pledged to donate $2 million to families affected by the tornado. The donation was given out in the form of $1,000 debit cards given out to area families. 
Each year, on September 11, Cantor Fitzgerald and its affiliate BGC Partners donate 100% of their revenue to charitable causes on their annual Charity Day. Charity Day was originally established to raise money for the Cantor Fitzgerald Relief Fund to assist the families of Cantor employees who perished in the World Trade Center attacks. The company now marks the day by reaching out to help others, turning a tragic day into one that is positive and uplifting. Since Charity Day’s inception, the firm has raised $101 million for charities globally.
Subsidiaries and Affiliates
Aqua Securities is an alternative trading system for block trades, Aqua is currently used by nearly 200 institutions and brokers as an alternative to algorithmic trading of large orders. Aqua Securities provides customer access to a unique[clarification needed] method of liquidity formation in addition to a secure data model with leading order management systems.
BGC Partners is a leading global brokerage company servicing the wholesale financial markets and commercial real estate marketplace in New York, London and dozens of financial centers around the world. BGC offers over 220 products, including commercial real estate, fixed income securities, interest rate swaps, foreign exchange, equities and equity derivatives, credit derivatives, commodities, futures and structured products. Named after fixed income trading innovator B. Gerald Cantor who founded Cantor Fitzgerald in 1945, BGC also offers financial technology solutions, market data and analytics through its eSpeed, BGC Trader and BGC Market Data brands.
A part of BGC Partners, Newmark Grubb Knight Frank has a presence in commercial real estate. The fourth-largest real estate service provider in the U.S. with offices throughout North America as well as 250 million square feet of property under management, Newmark Grubb Knight Frank provides a complete spectrum of services including capital markets, corporate services, investment sales, tenant and landlord representation, property and facilities management, industrial engineering and appraisal and valuation services.
Cantor Exchange is an internet-based U.S. marketplace regulated by the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission that enables professional traders and individual investors to trade innovative futures and options products.
Cantor Commercial Real Estate
Cantor Commercial Real Estate is a fully integrated real estate finance company that originates and distributes commercial real estate loans, CCRE was established to take advantage of increasing demand for new origination combined with lack of available debt capital.
Cantor Fitzgerald Investment Advisors
||This section appears to contain a large number of buzzwords. (February 2013)|
Cantor Fitzgerald Investment Advisors provides a customized approach for investors in Alternative Assets.
Cantor Prime Services
Cantor Prime Services is a comprehensive, multi-asset prime brokerage solution designed to support hedge funds, money managers, REITs, broker dealers, and professional traders.
Cantor Ventures is the venture capital and enterprise development arm of Cantor Fitzgerald, which invests in companies with business models focused on the development of innovative, technology-focused products services and marketplaces. Current investments include delivery.com, Ritani, and Topline Games.
Cantor Index is one of the UK’s leading spread betting providers, founded in 2000. The business offers a tax efficient way to speculate on a wide range of financial markets.
Cantor Gaming is the first company licensed by the Nevada Gaming Commission to manufacture, distribute and operate a mobile gaming system in the state. Cantor Gaming provides casinos with a complete mobile gaming solution, including a proprietary wireless gaming system, full back-office infrastructure and a portfolio of casino games. The company now operates the sports books at The Venetian, The Palazzo, The Cosmopolitan, Palms, Hard Rock Hotel & Casino, Tropicana, M Resort Spa Casino, and Silverton Casino in the Las Vegas Valley.
CastleOak Securities is a New York-based boutique minority-run investment bank offering a full suite of services including sales & trading, capital markets and financial advisory.
Delivery.com is an online destination for consumers to shop their neighborhood merchants, including local restaurants, grocers, wine and liquor stores, florists, and other retail and service providers.
Global Gaming Asset Management
Global Gaming Asset Management is an investment vehicle formed by Cantor and former executives of Las Vegas Sands to invest in, acquire, develop, manage and advise casino operators and other gaming assets including the new Solaire Resort & Casino in the Philippines until September 2013, and the Baha Mar Casino & Hotel in the Bahamas. The GGAM team has brought to the market more large-scale integrated casino resorts than any other casino operator.
Hollywood Stock Exchange
Hollywood Stock Exchange was founded in 1996. It is the world’s leading virtual entertainment stock market. Users can speculate on the outcome of the latest box office releases using virtual currency.
Helix Financial Systems
Helix Financial Systems is a leading provider of financial software systems and expertise to the dealer, asset management, securities lending, banking and insurance communities.
TopLine Game Labs is a technology company with a mission to revolutionize short-duration fantasy sports and entertainment-based social gaming. Headquartered in Los Angeles, TopLine Game Labs is building a platform-agnostic architecture to power game experiences for sports around the world.
Management & Directors
- Howard Lutnick, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
- Stuart Fraser, Vice Chairman
- Shawn Matthews, Chief Executive Officer, Cantor Fitzgerald & Co.
- Stephen Merkel, Executive Managing Director, General Counsel, Secretary and Director
- Douglas R. Barnard, Chief Financial Officer
The company's global headquarters are in Midtown, New York City, while it also has an office in the Downtown Financial District. The company and its associated businesses also operate offices around the world:
- Atlanta - 3060 Peachtree Road NW, Suite 950, Atlanta, Georgia 30305
- Boston - 101 Federal Street, 17th Floor, Boston, MA 02110
- Chapel Hill - 1340 Environ Way, Office #312, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, NC 27517
- Charlotte - 900 West Trade, Suite 725, Charlotte, NC 28202
- Chicago - 222 West Adams, Suite 1900, Chicago, Illinois 60606
- Conshohocken - 20 Ash Street, Suite 350, West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania 19428
- Dallas - 14185 Dallas Parkway, Suite 870, Dallas, Texas 75254
- Darien - 6 Thorndal Circle, 2nd Floor, Darien, Connecticut 06820
- Denver - 5874 San Felipe, 5th Floor, Denver, Colorado 80206
- Houston - 100 Fillmore Street, Suite 1075, Houston, Texas 77057
- Las Vegas 2575 S. Highland Drive, Las Vegas, Nevada 89109
- Los Angeles - 1925 Century Park East, Suite 700, Los Angeles, California 90067
- Memphis - 6410 Poplar Avenue, Suite 700, Memphis, Tennessee 38119
- Miami - 1001 Brickell Bay Drive, Suite 2502, Miami, Florida 33131
- Montreal - 1250 rue René-Lévesque Ouest, Suite 2200, Montreal, Quebec H3B 4W8
- Naples - 9130 Galleria Court, Suite 104, Naples, Florida 34109
- New Orleans - 650 Poydras Street, Suite 1434, Ne Orleans, Louisiana 70130
- New York City (Headquarters) - 499 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10022
- Puerto Rico - Atrium Business Center, 530 Aenue de la Constitucion in Puerta de Tierra, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00901
- Purchase - 2 Manhattanvil Road, Suite 205A, Purchase, New York 10577
- Rochell Park - 120 West Passaic Street, Rochell Park, New Jersey 07662
- San Francisco - 345 California Street, Suite 1260, San Francisco, California 94104
- Seattle - 800 Fifth Avenue, Suite 4100, Seattle, Washington, 98105
- Shrewsbury - 39 Avenue of the Commons, 2nd Floor, Shrewsbury, New Jersey 07702
- Summit - 47 Maple Street, 2nd Floor, Summit, New Jersey 07901
- Toronto - 181 University Avenue, Suite 1500, Toronto, Ontario M5H 3M7
- York - 6864 Susquehanna Trail South, Suite A, York, PA 17403
- Cork - Dolmen House, 45 South Mall, Cork, Ireland
- Dublin - 75 Street, Stephen's Green, Dublin 2, Ireland
- Limerick - Theatre Court, Lower Mallow Street, Limerick, Ireland
- London - One Churchill Place, Canary Wharf, London E14 5RD, United Kingdom
- Milan - Piazza del Carmine 4, 20121 Milan, Italy
- Nyon - Chemin de la Vuarpillière 31, CH-1260 Nyon, Switzerland
- Paris - 62 Rue De Richelieu, 3rd Floor, 75002 Paris, France
- Zurich - Level 2 Bergstrasse 17, Zollikon, Zurich, Switzerland
- Hong Kong - 6707-6712 The Center, 99 Queens Road Central, Central Hong Kong, SAR China
- Singapore - 1 Temasek Avenue, #18-07 Millenia Tower, Singapore 049483
- Sydney - 95 Pitt Street, Suite 1210, Sydney, NSW 2000, Australia
- Tel Aviv - Discount Tower, Yehuda Halevi 23, 28th Floor, Tel Aviv, Israel 65136
- "Howard Lutnick bio". Retrieved June 15, 2012.
- "Stuart Fraser bio". Retrieved June 15, 2012.
- "Shawn Matthews bio". Retrieved June 15, 2012.
- "office locations." Cantor Fitzgerald. March 4, 2000. Retrieved on October 4, 2009.
- "org/web/20010809041147/http://www.cantor.com/locations.htm office locations." Cantor Fitzgerald. August 9, 2001. Retrieved on October 4, 2009.
- September 11, 2001 08:46:46 Arch  D ALPHA
- McCullagh, Declan (November 25, 2009). "Egads! Confidential 9/11 Pager Messages Disclosed". Taking Liberties. CBS News Blogs. Archived from the original on November 28, 2009. Retrieved November 28, 2009.
- "9/11 hit home for Scott Auker". Manheim Central News. September 11, 2011. Retrieved June 25, 2012.
- Jessica Pressler (August 27, 2011). "The Encyclopedia of 9/11: Cantor Fitzgerald: The firm that lost the most.". New York.
- WTC agency sues Saudis over 9/11, BBC News Online, September 11, 2004
- Port Authority to Join Suit Against Saudi Arabia Over 9/11 Attack, Associated Press, September 13, 2004
- Glovin, David (18 January 2005). "Saudi Arabia Wins Dismissal From Sept. 11 Lawsuits (Update1)". Bloomberg. Retrieved 19 October 2012.
- Crain's New York Business. Bloomberg http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20130325/NONPROFITS/130329920#
|url=missing title (help). Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- Wells, Jesse. "NEW: NY group in 9/11 makes $1000 donations to May 20th storm victims". KFOR-TV. KFOR. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "$1000 gift cards given". NewsOK. NewsOK.com.
- Dave, Paresh. "TopLine gets $25 million to launch short-term fantasy game platform". Los Angeles Times. Tribune. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "MANAGEMENT TEAM". Cantor Fitzgerald. Retrieved 6 December 2013.