|This article does not cite any references or sources. (November 2008)|
Caparo is a British-based company founded by Lord Paul, with business interests predominantly in the manufacture and marketing of steel, and specialist engineering products. Caparo is a global association of businesses and has operations in the United Kingdom, North America, Europe, and Asia. It has 80+ locations globally and employs in excess of 8,000 people.
In the United Kingdom operates though Caparo Industries Plc and owns the following businesses:
- Caparo Merchant Bar - specialist manufacturer of steel merchant bar based in Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire. The company was founded in 1985 as a joint venture between Caparo Industries Plc and then British Steel (presently Tata Steel). In 1995 the company added a second fully automated rolling mill to its facilities which increased output by 100,000 tonnes of steel merchant bar per annum. Current maximum capacity is 400,000 tonnes per annum. The business manufactures steel flats, angles, rounds, squares, convex flats, beams (IPEs), channels (PFCs) and crane rail in a variety of sizes, steel grades and tolerances. Caparo Merchant Bar sells its products to customers in the United Kingdom and Europe.
- Caparo Precision Tubes - this business manufactures the widest range of steel tubular products and finishes in the United Kingdom. The product portfolio includes standard ERW tubes,aluminised, pre-galvanised, Flo-Coat®, decorative tubes, plastic coated, high tensile and fin cut materials, manufactured in a variety of sizes and shapes. Finishes include Cold Rolled Reduced, Hot Rolled Picked and Oiled, Hot Rolled Black, Pre-Galvanised, Aluminised and Perforated, Hot Dipped Galvanised, Flo-Coat, Plastic Coated, Conduit, Sculptured Tube, High Strength Steels (HSS), and Stainless Steel. The business is fully compliant with the requirements of BS EN ISO 9001:2008 and manufactures in excess of 100,000 tones of welded steel tube per annum. Caparo Precision Tubes operates from two sites - Oldbury in the West Midlands, and Tredegar in Gwent, South Wales.
- Caparo Drawn Products is the only UK based manufacturer of drawn steel tube products. The company is located in West Bromwich and specialises in the production of drawn seamless and drawn welded tubes for mechanical and pressure applications. Caparo Drawn Products was formed from the merger of three well established cold drawing operations, Phoenix Steel Tubes, Durham Tubes and Newman Tipper Tubes. The business holds a number of internationally recognised accreditations including ISO 9001, TUV, Lloyds UK and MoD.
- Barton Engineering
- Hub Le Bas
- Caparo Precision Strip comprising J B & S Lees, Firth Cleveland Steel Strip and Ductile Stourbridge Cold Mills
- Caparo Wire is a UK manufacturer of steel wire - cold heading, bedding and seating, galvanised and engineering wire. The business was originally set up as Wrexham Wire by John Hawkins who used a new (then ) continuous annealing processes in the manufacture of wire. The cold heading wire manufactured by the business was used mainly in the production of fasteners and fixings. In 1982 the company diversified into bedding and seating wire. In 1984 Wrexham Wire was sold to Caparo Industries plc and renamed Caparo Wire. In 2004 the business started manufacturing galvanised wire through the purchase of Bright Steel Wire. At present Caparo Wire in Wrexham employs circa 85 people and has a capacity of 75,000 tonnes per annum. The specialist wires it manufactures are used in a huge range of applications such as: fasteners; springs for mattresses, funiture, seating and edging; blind rivets, control cables, wheel spokes and chains; fencing, plating, hoping, hose clip, washer, masonry nails, mesh, conduit, etc. in the automotive, construction, farming, consumer goods, and many other industries.
- Caparo Atlas Fastenings
- Caparo AP Braking
- Caparo Modular Systems
- Caparo Tube Components
- Caparo Accles & Pollock
- Caparo Dynamics
- Caparo Insulation - formerly CMT Insulation, Caparo Insulation was established in 1986 and is based in Cradley Heath, West Midlands. The company specialises in the manufacture of insulation components and materials for heat and electrical applications. The business also stocks and distributes high temperature insulation materials for customers in the OEM furnace equipment, forging, rolling stock, heat induction, mould tool making and heavy electrical industries. Caparo Insulation is a part of CMT Engineering.
- Caparo Clamps
- CMT Tube Fittings
- Caparo Testing Technologies
- Official website