Cape Cod National Seashore
|Cape Cod National Seashore|
IUCN category V (protected landscape/seascape)
|Location||Barnstable County, Massachusetts, USA|
|Nearest city||Provincetown, MA|
|Area||43,607 acres (68.1 sq mi; 176.5 km2)|
|Established||August 7, 1961|
|Visitors||4,454,771 (in 2011)|
|Governing body||National Park Service|
The Cape Cod National Seashore (CCNS), created on August 7, 1961 by President John F. Kennedy, encompasses 43,607 acres (68.1 sq mi; 176.5 km2) on Cape Cod, in Massachusetts. It includes ponds, woods and beachfront of the Atlantic coastal pine barrens ecoregion. The CCNS includes nearly 40 miles (64 km) of seashore along the Atlantic-facing eastern shore of Cape Cod, in the towns of Provincetown, Truro, Wellfleet, Eastham, Orleans and Chatham. It is administered by the National Park Service.
Places of interest
Notable sites encompassed by the CCNS include Marconi Station, site of the first two-way transatlantic radio transmission, and the Highlands Center for the Arts, formerly the North Truro Air Force Station. Dune Shacks of Peaked Hill Bars Historic District is a 1,950-acre historic district containing dune shacks and the dune environment. The glacial erratic known as Doane Rock is also located in the park.
There are several paved bike trails:
- Nauset Bike Trail - Eastham
- Head of the Meadow Trail - Truro
- Province Lands Trails - Provincetown
As part of the NPS Centennial Initiative, the Herring River estuary will be restored to its natural state through removal of dikes and drains that date back to 1909.
An entrance to the Cape Cod National Seashore in Eastham, Massachusetts
- "Listing of acreage as of December 31, 2011". Land Resource Division, National Park Service. Retrieved 2012-12-26.
- "NPS Annual Recreation Visits Report". National Park Service. Retrieved 2012-12-26.
- "Bill signing - S. 857 Public Law 87-126, Cape Cod National Seashore Act, 11:47AM". John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum.
- "Cape Cod National Seashore Act - P.L. 87-126". 75 Stat. 284. U.S. Government Printing Office.
- "Herring River Tidal Restoration Project". National Park Service. July 2011. Retrieved 2013-05-31.
- Cape Cod National Seashore. National Park Service website.
- Park map showing roads, beaches, and trails. National Park Service map pdf.
- "The Penniman House: A Whaling Story". A National Park Service Teaching with Historic Places (TwHP) lesson plan.
- Cape Cod National Seashore travel guide from Wikivoyage