Cape Winelands District Municipality
Brede River District
Location in South Africa
Local municipalities within the Cape Winelands
|• Type||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Neels de Bruyn (DA)|
|• Total||21,473 km2 (8,291 sq mi)|
|• Density||37/km2 (95/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||23.7%|
|First languages (2011)|
|Time zone||SAST (UTC+2)|
The Cape Winelands District Municipality, formerly the Boland District Municipality, is a district municipality located in the Boland region of the Western Cape province of South Africa. As of 2011, it had a population of 787,490. The largest towns in the municipality are Paarl, Worcester, Stellenbosch and Wellington.
The boundaries of this municipality, which covers an area of 22,289 square kilometres (8,606 sq mi), coincide roughly with the boundaries of the geographical area that has been known since the early days of the Cape Colony as "The Boland". In Afrikaans Boland means "up land" or "the higher land" or "the land above" (i.e. in contrast to the low coastal areas of the original Dutch settlement at the Cape). However, the term "Boland", as originally used, was a loose concept, with no defined borders (cf. the informal but not meaningless terms "The Sahara" or "The Rocky Mountains"). The Boland is generally mountainous, with range after range of beautiful and isolated sandstone peaks reaching towards 2000m but also has broad, fertile valleys that are home to some of the country's finest vineyards.
The region has a Mediterranean climate. Summers are hot and dry and winters cool and damp, with snow on the peaks during August and September. The extent and diversity of the geographical features here are truly marvellous. There are so many peaks, ranges, escarpments, valleys, cliffs, rivers, pools, waterfalls, screes, canyons, springs, forests, caves and other natural features that no person could visit all of them in a lifetime.
The Cape Winelands District Municipality is divided into five local municipalities, which are described in the following table.
- Namakwa District Municipality, Northern Cape (north)
- Central Karoo District Municipality (east)
- Eden District Municipality (east)
- Overberg District Municipality (south)
- City of Cape Town (southwest)
- West Coast District Municipality (west)
The council of the Cape Winelands District Municipality consists of forty councillors, of whom sixteen are directly elected by party-list proportional representation, and twenty-four are appointed by the councils of the constituent local municipalities: eight by Drakenstein, five each by Stellenbosch and Breede Valley, and three each by Witzenberg and Langeberg. As of August 2012[update] there are twenty-four councillors representing the Democratic Alliance (DA), thirteen representing the African National Congress (ANC), and one each representing the Congress of the People (COPE), the National People's Party (NPP) and the Stellenbosch Civic Association (SCA). The mayor is Neels de Bruyn of the DA, and the Deputy Mayor is HM Jansen, also of the DA.
The following table shows the detailed composition of the council.
|Appointed by Witzenberg||2||1||0||0||0|
|Appointed by Drakenstein||5||3||0||0||0|
|Appointed by Stellenbosch||3||1||0||0||1|
|Appointed by Breede Valley||3||2||0||0||0|
|Appointed by Langeberg||2||1||0||0||0|
The following table shows the results of the election of the sixteen directly-elected councillors on 18 May 2011.
|African National Congress||66,286||31.7||5|
|Congress of the People||7,149||3.4||1|
|National People's Party||4,762||2.3||1|
|African Christian Democratic Party||2,377||1.1||0|
|People's Democratic Movement||1,550||0.7||0|
|South African Progressive Civic Organisation||1,377||0.7||0|
|Democratic Christian Party||1,184||0.6||0|
|Western Cape Community||991||0.5||0|
|Freedom Front Plus||803||0.4||0|
|United Independent Front||597||0.3||0|
|United Democratic Movement||581||0.3||0|
- "Contact list: Executive Mayors". Government Communication & Information System. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011 by district council, gender, age in 5 year groups and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011 by district council, gender, language and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "Cape Winelands District Municipality". Municipal Demarcation Board. Retrieved 20 June 2010.
- "Witzenberg Local Municipality". The Local Government Handbook. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- "Drakenstein Local Municipality". The Local Government Handbook. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- "Stellenbosch Local Municipality". The Local Government Handbook. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- "Breede Valley Local Municipality". The Local Government Handbook. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- "Langeberg Local Municipality". The Local Government Handbook. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- "Political composition of councils". Western Cape Department of Local Government. August 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Mayoral Report". Cape Winelands District Municipality. Retrieved 23 August 2012.
- "Cllr. HM Jansen". Cape Winelands District Municipality. Retrieved 23 August 2012.
- "Seat Calculation Detail: Cape Winelands". Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- "% Spoilt Ballots: Western Cape: All Municipalities". Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- Census 2011 statistical tables accessible through Stats SA SuperWEB.