Capelle aan den IJssel
|Capelle aan den IJssel|
Stadsplein square in Capelle
Location in South Holland
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Frank Koen (CDA)|
|• Total||15.40 km2 (5.95 sq mi)|
|• Land||14.25 km2 (5.50 sq mi)|
|• Water||1.15 km2 (0.44 sq mi)|
|Elevation ||−2 m (−7 ft)|
|Population (May 2014)|
|• Density||4,650/km2 (12,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Capelle aan den IJssel [ka.ˈpɛ.lə aːn dɛn ˈɛi̯.səɫ] ( ) is a town and municipality in the western Netherlands, in the province of South Holland. The municipality had a population of 66,261 in 2014, and covers an area of 15.40 km2 (5.95 sq mi), of which 1.15 km2 (0.44 sq mi) is water. It is situated on the eastern edge of Rotterdam, on the Hollandse IJssel river.
The town has what is probably the country's smallest museum, the Dief en Duif huis ("House of Thieves and Pigeons"). Now a historical museum, it served as the prison for the castle of Capelle and is all that now remains of the 16th-century castle.
On opposing sides of the A16 motorway are two business parks called Rivium and Brainpark respectively. Companies based in the larger Rivium include Rockwell Automation, Pfizer Nederland, Sodexho Nederland, Royal Dutch Shell, Van Oord, and many more.
Capelle aan den IJssel is connected to the Rotterdam Metro system:
- Line C starts at De Terp station, proceeds to Capelle Centrum station and Slotlaan station, then to the cities of Rotterdam, Schiedam and Spijkenisse.
- Connections with the main railway system on line C are at Blaak station and at Schiedam Centrum station. After changing to line A or B (at Capelsebrug station) also at Alexander station, and after changing to line D (at Beurs station), finally also at Rotterdam Centraal station. To and from the direction The Hague the fastest connection is usually with a change at Schiedam Centrum; for other directions it varies.
- Capelle aan den IJssel has its own train station, Capelle Schollevaar. This station is located outside of the city centre in the Schollevaar neighborhood. Local trains from Rotterdam to Gouda and Amsterdam stop at this station.
Dutch Topographic map of the municipality of Capelle aan den IJssel, 2013.
- "Burgemeester" [Mayor]. Bestuur en Organisatie (in Dutch). Gemeente Capelle aan den IJssel. Retrieved 16 July 2013.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 2903AR". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 16 July 2013.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
|Rotterdam||Hollandse IJssel / Ouderkerk|
Krimpen aan den IJssel