|Marc Terlizzi (Co-CEO)
Anthony Giacoio Jr. (Co-CEO)
|Products||Dance shoes and apparel|
Capezio is the trade name of Capezio Ballet Makers Inc., a manufacturer of dance shoes, apparel and accessories.
In 1887, Salvatore Capezio, an Italian cobbler emigrated to the United States, opened a shoe repair shop near the old Metropolitan Opera House in New York City. He began his business by repairing theatrical shoes for the Met, and transitioned from cobbler to shoemaker when he created pair of shoes for Polish tenor Jean de Reszke in an emergency. His shop soon became a meeting place for dancers who would stop by to discuss their needs and purchase his shoes.
Over time, his reputation grew and visiting dancers would often come to his shop to purchase shoes. One of those visitors, Anna Pavlova, purchased Capezio pointe shoes for herself and her entire company during her first tour of the United States in 1910, thereby helping Capezio establish wide public visibility.
Salvatore Capezio's family eventually joined him in the business, and today the company is operated by third- and fourth-generation family members. The company now employs modern, computerized manufacturing systems, though its Special Make-up Department continues to hand craft special order footwear.
Numerous celebrities endorsed the company's products over the years, such as Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Sammy Davis, Jr., Alicia Alonso, Bob Fosse, Gregory Hines, Mick Jagger, Liza Minnelli, Ben Vereen, Madonna, Justin Timberlake, Gwen Stefani, Britney Spears, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga.
Capezio Dance Award
The company established the "Capezio Dance Award" in 1952 to recognize significant achievements in dance, and in 1953 it created the Capezio Foundation to administer the awards program and operate a grant program for non-profit organizations.
- Notable award recipients
- 1953: Lincoln Kirstein
- 1954: Doris Humphrey
- 1955: Louis Horst
- 1957: Ted Shawn
- 1958: Alexandra Danilova
- 1959: Sol Hurok
- 1960: Martha Graham
- 1961: Ruth St. Denis
- 1962: Barbara Karinska
- 1963: Donald McKayle
- 1964: José Limón
- 1965: Maria Tallchief
- 1966: Agnes de Mille
- 1967: Paul Taylor (choreographer)
- 1968: Lucia Chase
- 1969: John Martin (dance critic)
- 1971: Arthur Mitchell
- 1972: La Meri, Reginald Laubin
- 1973: Isadora Bennett
- 1974: Robert Joffrey
- 1975: Robert Augustine Irving
- 1976: Jerome Robbins
- 1977: Merce Cunningham
- 1978: Hanya Holm
- 1979: Alvin Ailey
- 1982: Alwin Nikolais
- 1983: Harvey Lichtenstein
- 1984: Willam Christensen, Lew Christensen
- 1986: Antony Tudor
- 1987: Fred Astaire, Bob Fosse, Rudolf Nureyev, Jac Venza
- 1988: Charles "Honi" Coles
- 1989: Edward Villella
- 1990: Jacques d'Amboise
- 1991: John Curry, Katherine Dunham, Darci Kistler, Igor Youskevitch
- 1997: Mark Morris
- 1998: Jacob's Pillow Foundation trustees
- 2003: Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater
- 2004: Savion Glover
- 2005: Suzanne Farrell
- 2006: Donald Saddler
- "History". Capezio. Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- "Capezio: Serving dancers for over 125 years". Danceinforma. Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- "Dance Foundation". Capezio. Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- "Awardees". Capezio. Retrieved 24 March 2013.