Capillary electrophoresis–mass spectrometry
Capillary electrophoresis–mass spectrometry (CEMS) is an analytical chemistry technique formed by the combination of the liquid separation process of capillary electrophoresis with mass spectrometry. Ions are typically formed by electrospray ionization, but they can also be formed by matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization or other ionization techniques. It has applications in basic research in proteomics and quantitative analysis of biomolecules as well as in clinical medicine.
The original interface between capillary zone electrophoresis and mass spectrometry was developed in the mid-1980s by Richard D. Smith and coworkers at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, and who also later were involved in development of interfaces with other CE variants, including capillary isotachophoresis and capillary isoelectric focusing.
- Loo JA, Udseth HR, Smith RD (June 1989). "Peptide and protein analysis by electrospray ionization-mass spectrometry and capillary electrophoresis-mass spectrometry". Anal. Biochem. 179 (2): 404–12. doi:10.1016/0003-2697(89)90153-X. PMID 2774189.
- Maxwell EJ, Chen DD (October 2008). "Twenty years of interface development for capillary electrophoresis-electrospray ionization-mass spectrometry". Anal. Chim. Acta 627 (1): 25–33. doi:10.1016/j.aca.2008.06.034. PMID 18790125.
- Zhang H, Caprioli RM (September 1996). "Capillary electrophoresis combined with matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometry; continuous sample deposition on a matrix-precoated membrane target". J Mass Spectrom 31 (9): 1039–46. doi:10.1002/(SICI)1096-9888(199609)31:9<1039::AID-JMS398>3.0.CO;2-F. PMID 8831154.
- Metzger J, Schanstra JP, Mischak H (August 2008). "Capillary electrophoresis-mass spectrometry in urinary proteome analysis: current applications and future developments". Anal Bioanal Chem 393 (5): 1431–42. doi:10.1007/s00216-008-2309-0. PMID 18704377.
- Ohnesorge J, Neusüss C, Wätzig H (November 2005). "Quantitation in capillary electrophoresis-mass spectrometry". Electrophoresis 26 (21): 3973–87. doi:10.1002/elps.200500398. PMID 16252322.
- Kolch W, Neusüss C, Pelzing M, Mischak H (2005). "Capillary electrophoresis-mass spectrometry as a powerful tool in clinical diagnosis and biomarker discovery". Mass Spectrom Rev 24 (6): 959–77. doi:10.1002/mas.20051. PMID 15747373.
- Dakna M, He Z, Yu WC, Mischak H, Kolch W (November 2008). "Technical, bioinformatical and statistical aspects of liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC-MS) and capillary electrophoresis-mass spectrometry (CE-MS) based clinical proteomics: A critical assessment". J. Chromatogr. B Analyt. Technol. Biomed. Life Sci. 877 (13): 1250–8. doi:10.1016/j.jchromb.2008.10.048. PMID 19010091.
|This article about analytical chemistry is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|