Capital Area Intermediate Unit
The Capital Area Intermediate Unit (CAIU) is an Intermediate Unit based in Summerdale, a suburb of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. The administrative office is located at 55 Miller Street, Enola Pennsylvania. It serves a portion of central Pennsylvania counties, including: Cumberland County, Dauphin County, the northern portion of York County, and Perry County. CAIU15 offers services to: 24 school districts and 2 area vocational technical schools by providing programs and initiatives, which can be found here. It is also known by its IU number, IU #15. In addition to funding from local districts, CAIU applies for private, state and federal grants. the CAIU received more than $17.1 million from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in general operating funds in school year 2009-2010. From 2007 through 2011, Amy Morton was the Executive Director.
The organization is governed by a board of directors and the Pennsylvania Department of Education, as well as, the Pennsylvania General Assembly. Each member public school district elects a local board member to also serve on the CAIU board. The CAIU administration develops a budget each year which must be approved not only by the CAIU board, but also by the boards of the majority of its member school districts. CAIU levies no taxes. However it can levy fees for services like its drivers education program. CAIU funding comes form fees charged to member districts for the plethora of services it provides which include: professional development, curriculum mapping, special education services, speech and hearing services and many others. In 2014, the Executive Director is Mrs Cindy C Mortzfeldt (contract January 1, 2014 through December 31, 2017). The Assistant Executive Director Dr. Lori Brunner salary $125,000 effective July 1 2014. The Business Manager is Mrs Theresa Kinsinger.
CAIU15 operates Capital Area Online Learning Association which is an online learning program operated in association with the local public schools.
In accordance with PA Act 89 of 1975, CAIU offers many of its services to local non-public schools. In 2013, approximately 10,000 students residing in Dauphin, Cumberland, and Perry counties attend non-public schools. The CAIU contracts with area public school districts to provide remedial reading to eligible Title I students attending non-public schools.
Member public school districts
- Big Spring School District
- Camp Hill School District
- Carlisle Area School District
- Central Dauphin School District
- Cumberland Valley School District
- Derry Township School District
- East Pennsboro Area School District
- Greenwood School District (Pennsylvania)
- Harrisburg School District (Pennsylvania)
- Halifax Area School District
- Lower Dauphin School District
- Mechanicsburg Area School District
- Middletown Area School District
- Millersburg Area School District
- Newport School District
- Northern York County School District
- Shippensburg Area School District
- South Middleton School District
- Steelton-Highspire School District
- Susquehanna Township School District
- Susquenita School District
- Upper Dauphin Area School District
- West Perry School District
- West Shore School District
- Cumberland-Perry Area Vocational-Technical School
- Dauphin County Technical School
In November of 2011, the Pennsylvania Auditor General conducted a performance audit of the Capital Area Intermediate Unit. The findings were reported to the School Board and the Intermediate Unit’s administration.
Budget and Reserves
The 2014-2015 budget is $4,927,845. The CAIU held an additional $3,338,525 in reserves in June 2013. The organization reports 36 administration staff members in 2014.
- Jan Murphy (January 19, 2011). "Capital Area Intermediate Unit executive director Amy Morton resigns post". Pennlive.com.
- Barbara Miller (February 10, 2014). "West Perry School District superintendent leaving for CAIU job".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education, Ed Name and Addresses, July 11, 2014
- CAOLA administration (2012). "Capital Area Online Learning Association".
- CAIU Administration (2013). "Aid to non-public schools".
- Pennsylvania Auditor General (November 2011). "Capital Area Intermediate Unit Cumberland County, Pennsylvania Performance Audit Report".
- CAIU Business Office (2014). "CAIU General Operating Budget 2014-15".
|This Pennsylvania school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|